• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

188 minute tv cut of Superman: The Movie getting an official release

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't believe it at first, but found other sources to confirm. It's FINALLY happening!!

https://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/posts/10155716901136563?comment_id=10155724463146563&ref=notif¬if_t=feed_comment¬if_id=1505761735666929

21731064_10155716898496563_2382079175320172168_n.jpg

SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE - EXTENDED CUT & SPECIAL EDITION 2-FILM COLLECTION (1978,2000)
Run Time 188 Minutes-EXTENDED CUT (NEW 2017 1080p HD MASTER)
151 Minutes-SPECIAL EDITION
Subtitles Spanish, French, English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 – English (EXTENDED CUT)
DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - French, DOLBY DIGITAL SURROUND 5.1 - Spanish
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
COLOR
2-BD 50
Special Features (on Superman The Special Edition Disc): Commentary by Director Richard Donner and Creative Consultant Tom Mankiewicz; 3 Documentaries Taking Flight: The Development of Superman, Making Superman: Filming the Legend and The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; Restored Scenes; Additional Scenes; Additional Music Cues; Music-Only Track
Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That is wonderful news. I did find the 151 minute Special Edition to be extremely slow, yet I will check the 188 minute cut if I get the chance.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! Nice. How has this never been released yet?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Wow! Nice. How has this never been released yet?

Nope!  There was a preservation project that was in the works for YEARS and that floats around the internet from time to time.  The quality is as good as you could expect from a movie recorded off of TV back decades.

This is SUPER news!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most TV cuts never get an official release. This is pretty darn cool given how unique this particular TV cut was.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Most TV cuts never get an official release. This is pretty darn cool given how unique this particular TV cut was.

Excuse my ignorance, Throw… but how was it unique?  I know it was divided in a two part, two night film, and that it obviously reinstated 45 minutes of footage, but other than that?  

As an aside, they could also release the TV cut of Superman II as it would be a significantly different experience from both the Theatrical cut and the Richard Donner cut!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

Excuse my ignorance, Throw… but how was it unique?  I know it was divided in a two part, two night film, and that it obviously reinstated 45 minutes of footage, but other than that?  

The length is what makes this so unique, especially given when it was released. Extended cuts were not all that common, and even when they became more common, they certainly didn't add huge amounts of footage like that.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody here familiar with the tv cut? Does the "new"/added footage tie in to the Superman 1 story specifically, or could it be used in a new Superman Redeemed style combo edit?

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well if by "Superman Redeemed style combo edit" you mean taking some of this new footage from part 1 and putting it into part 2, here's an idea I middled with a long time ago:

Using the 'Gauntlet' sequence, sans dialogue, intercutting back and forth between Superman going through Lex's traps, while Lex is playing piano and Otis is about to lower Eve into the pit with the 'babies', you could basically have a sort of "tying up loose ends" opening to part 2 that helps bridge the gap between the 2 films. When Superman tells Lois and Jimmy he "has something to do", after he flies off, this is where this proposed scene of mine would begin. Once Supes tells Eve that her mother 'sends her love' and we see that look of 'Oh well" on Lex's face (with Superman standing triumphantly with his arms crossed) then immediately cut to Perry opening the newspaper "Lex Luthor scheme bombs...etc". A funny cutaway/segue if you ask me. Hey, it's better than recycling that tired shot of the people walking the streets of Metropolis outside the DAily Planet while the market guy is selling his 'fresh fruit'.

I'd be happy to throw something together on the fly if people are intersted in a better look of what I'm talking about. Also, some new flying shots of Reeve could possibly be rotoscoped for the Metro battle in part 2. Just gotta change the scenery and give his look a darker shade to make it match with the night.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still (kinda, idly) waiting for the ideal cut of Superman: no Krypton, an absolute minimum of romance, Otis, and other goofy humor. A 50 minute movie, perhaps. But, 188 minutes?! Oh, hell no. :D

#TheSmallvillePilotisstillthebestSupermanmovie

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tylerdurden389 said:
Well if by "Superman Redeemed style combo edit" you mean taking some of this new footage from part 1 and putting it into part 2, here's an idea I middled with a long time ago:

Using the 'Gauntlet' sequence, sans dialogue, intercutting back and forth between Superman going through Lex's traps, while Lex is playing piano and Otis is about to lower Eve into the pit with the 'babies', you could basically have a sort of "tying up loose ends" opening to part 2 that helps bridge the gap between the 2 films. When Superman tells Lois and Jimmy he "has something to do", after he flies off, this is where this proposed scene of mine would begin. Once Supes tells Eve that her mother 'sends her love' and we see that look of 'Oh well" on Lex's face (with Superman standing triumphantly with his arms crossed) then immediately cut to Perry opening the newspaper "Lex Luthor scheme bombs...etc". A funny cutaway/segue if you ask me. Hey, it's better than recycling that tired shot of the people walking the streets of Metropolis outside the DAily Planet while the market guy is selling his 'fresh fruit'.

I'd be happy to throw something together on the fly if people are intersted in a better look of what I'm talking about. Also, some new flying shots of Reeve could possibly be rotoscoped for the Metro battle in part 2. Just gotta change the scenery and give his look a darker shade to make it match with the night.

Sorry, you lost me at 'Gauntlet'. I don't know anything about the extra tv footage. Just curious if it specifically ties into Superman 1 or if it's more modular.

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene where Superman gets shot with all the guns, then walks through the fire, then gets frozen, and breaks out of the ice before finally getting to Lex's Lair. It's in the extended version of the film.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
21731064_10155716898496563_2382079175320172168_n.jpg

Decades before blockbuster Extended Cuts were common, Superman proved a true “Man of Tomorrow.” Superman: The Movie received an ahead-of-its-time makeover for its television premiere – nearly 40 more minutes of story, creating a two-night television event. Audiences had already been swept off their feet by Christopher Reeve’s Last Son of Krypton, and now there was more to enjoy. Unseen in decades, this version is paired here with Richard Donner’s definitive vision of his film, the Special Edition Director’s Cut (2000), to create a supersized celebration of Metropolis’ favorite son that preserves the director’s intent while feeding superfan demands.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/superm...l-be-soaring-into-dvd-—-all-three-hours-of-it

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin - according to this darkhorizons article, the extra footage includes extensions to the destruction of Krypton, Smallville, Fortress of Solitude, Daily Planet, and earthquake scenes - www.darkhorizons.com/donners-superman-gets-extended-on-blu-ray/ 

And someone who originally saw the tv cut mentioned that it included some additional flying shots of Supes.

Hope this helps somewhat.  I'm looking forward to checking it out this extra bit of nostalgia sometime.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
addiesin - according to this darkhorizons article, the extra footage includes extensions to the destruction of Krypton, Smallville, Fortress of Solitude, Daily Planet, and earthquake scenes - www.darkhorizons.com/donners-superman-gets-extended-on-blu-ray/ 

And someone who originally saw the tv cut mentioned that it included some additional flying shots of Supes.

Hope this helps somewhat.  I'm looking forward to checking it out this extra bit of nostalgia sometime.

Thanks for the information, Imperial!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Threads merged. @"tylerdurden389" beat you to it @"Zarius" .

Providing the image quality is there, this should be an excellent source for future edits. I'm curious to see it.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, didn't see the other thread

And yeah, should make for good edits, provided it's polished.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Anybody here familiar with the tv cut? Does the "new"/added footage tie in to the Superman 1 story specifically, or could it be used in a new Superman Redeemed style combo edit?

Here's a video that was posted on YouTube that shows pretty much all of the footage you'd be seeing in this extended cut:

As for a Superman Redeemed, maybe there's a possibility of the Superman II TV version to see the light of day?

While I don't want to get off topic, is it weird to have an extended edition of your own fan edit?  I'm happy with my Up, Up and Away cut, but would love to add some of this extra footage to my edit.  I'm sure it'll mean starting from scratch since I was using a DVD source, but just curious if that would be an acceptable thing.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool, I'll check that out. That may be exactly what I was looking for.

The following isn't directly on topic but I figured I'd explain since I may have caused some confusion. To clarify:

Superman Redeemed was/is a combo edit of Superman 3 and 4 by ADM. It has nothing to do with 1 and uses only one scene from one version of Superman 2. 

I was thinking something similarly creative could be done to 3, 4, or Supergirl, with "new" Christopher Reeve Superman footage, if the footage in question had its own self-contained plot. The fact of the matter is, the theatrical Superman is the best Superman film, to the extent that even deleted scene footage from Superman 1 would likely be an improvement over some not-deleted scenes in the later films.

For example, he could appear in Supergirl with a brief scene or two showing why he's not involved with her conflict. Or Richard Pryor could maybe be reduced in Superman 3 with more Supe scenes filling the gap. I have no plans for such an edit, myself. I am interested in the potential quality of this release. And once again, I'm not sure of the viability of the idea, since I'm not familiar with this cut at all.

I'm gonna watch that video and find out what I can.

Top Bottom