If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Blender; Your FREE all purpose Media Editor
About 6 months ago I introduced myself to the GNU GPL program Blender. After a short round of getting used to it, I was able to produce the Custom Crawl Creator that allowed me to finally create crawls that were more in line to the format of the originals. I've always wondered if Blender could be utilized as a NLE, then our new found friend Habe (feel free to chime in here sir) listed Blender as his video editor. Needless to say, I finally did some google searching (I highly recommend using google to seek out answers) and found this AMAZING 30 video tutorial that teaches us how to use Blender as a NLE.

So, if you are looking for an all in one media editor (there will be videos about importing audio as well) that is absolutely FREE. Strap on your learning boots, do some homework, and utilize this amazing resource.

Download Blender Here: https://www.blender.org/download/

Happy editing everyone!

Blender Video Editing Playlist by Mikeycal Meyers (30 videos): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEIkIrYQ...Q3x18sNev4

For your convenience, I've embedded the individual videos in the spoiler tag below Smile

Inserting Audio

Another resource video

Some tips taken from Habe.

(09-10-2017, 07:34 AM)Habe Wrote: Well this is the basic editing setup. Shift+K to cut and drag-drop move with right-click.
And then extract it in the animation desktop. You can extract full animations, audio and image sequence.

I like it, simple to use and great youtube support. + I have a Linux machine that has been set up to render photos. So I can switch between different machines as I want.

[Image: 065917cd1b242514ca3da286a70359d2.png]

Simple gif of moving around already cut video pieces

[Image: d4c2723f547892e2df2345a0dfe9bd3d.gif]
Wow, cool. Gonna spend a lot of time here. Smile

If anyone has specific issues, just ask. I can make a short and to the point video on it.

-In that gif, what happens with the 3rd item I am moving: I accidentally clicked the edge. Edges are used to stretch an compress.
Here's an add-on for Blender that is supposed to make it it's NLE capabilities a little bit easier.

http://easy-logging.net/

Convenient NLE layout template file

Blendernation posted this beginner's guide to video editing with blender on their Twitter. Here are the video guides.

To anyone who doubts Blender's capabilities; it's been used on large movies from Wonder Woman to Life of Pi.
Pending Approval: Superman: Last Son
In-The-Works: Wonder Woman Fanfix
In-The-Works (Inactive) Go Go Power Rangers: Mighty Morphin' Edition
Fanedit Ideas: Batman: The Long Decade/Teen Titans: The Apprentice/Halloween: The Un-Zombie'd Loomis Cut
---
"The best canon is your bookshelf, what you think is good enough to own." - Unknown Internet Stranger