• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Half-Life Episode 3 Story Summary (Semi-official.)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Semi in the sense that it's from series writer Marc Laidlaw, who recently left the company.  He describes it as "fan fiction", with thinly disguised character and location names, but it's widely accepted as what would have been the official story.

For the uninitiated:  Half-Life 1 came out in 1998 and was heralded as a revolutionary entry in the first person shooter genre.  Its sequel came out in 2004 and is still considered one of the all time greats.  A three-part episodic followup began in 2006.  The second entry was released in 2007, and ended with a gigantic cliffhanger.  It was assumed that due to the episodic nature, closure would come in 6-18 months.

A decade later, the next chapter has yet to materialize, and is very unlikely to ever do so.  Unlike Duke Nukem Forever, where development at least continued in sporadic boosts over its lengthy gestation, it's never been clear how much work has been put into Episode 3, if any at all.  I think it's safe to assume that it's never coming. 

My take on the story summary:

It would have been fun, but unsatisfying.  We'd trade one cliffhanger for another.  We're no better off than we were at the end of Half-Life 2 proper.  Closure was always being saved for a third main game - if ever.  I think it's safe to just stop caring.

Top Bottom