• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Introducing Kids To Star Wars

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
(I'm sure this has been discussed here and/or at OT at some point but I swear I did a search and didn't see it.  You can't just search Star Wars on this site cause... yikes.)

So I have a 4 year old who keeps asking about Star Wars. I feel like she's too young for Star Wars (1977) but I've never seen the cartoon stuff (Clone Wars, Rebels, etc.).  Question is: do I wait til she's old enough to see the original (and what age is a good?) or start with the cartoons now?  Will the cartoons water down the impact of the films and/or spoil plot points or do they build interest and lay groundwork for enjoyment of the films?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Loved it myself as a kid. Before the prequel trilogy insanity started. Anthony Daniels doing the voice. It's the Droids adventures with different masters before '77, so would be a great intro to a first watch of Star Wars.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My kids are four (will be five in September). One of them has been obsessed with Star Wars imagery for about two years after randomly picking up a Star Wars ABC book that my wife's SW obsessed college roommate gave us when the twins were born. He is particularly obsessed with Vader. I started playing the Imperial March on the guitar and now  he's also obsessed with the music. I made a quick edit of Star Wars (1977) to cut out some of the more intense bits. It cuts out about five minutes. I put it on an iPad for him but all he does is scrobble through to find Vader scenes. I'm happy to share my very rough edit. PM me if you want.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like she's too young for Star Wars (1977)

Absolutely not. I was about her age when I first saw Star Wars on VHS. The cartoons aren't exactly a good introduction to the universe, but they are good for kids familiar with it.

I'd say to start her off with Star Wars (1977), and see where to take it from there. If you do the machete order with her, you can start watching the Clone Wars cartoon in between Clones and Sith, then watch Rebels between Jedi and Awakens.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink, that live blog is awesome. I'm not on OT so thanks for sharing it here.

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of my earliest memories is watching the original Star Wars.  Couldn't have been older than four years, probably three.  Later in life, I made a fan edit notorious for the "unzipping scenes".  Whether there is correlation, I can not say.  Proceed with caution.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just noticed that nobody (including myself, whoops) has asked you the question:

"Do you think your daughter is ready, for it?"

Has your daughter been exposed to the themes prevalent in Star Wars? Do you personally think you have equipped her to handle it? If so, go right ahead! I agree that maaaaaybe you should leave Revenge of the Sith til the tail end though. Let her mature a little before we get to the child murder and PG-13 rating :p

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I probably saw A New Hope during the '79 re-release. I was scared by the devil-looking guy and the werewolves in the cantina. Interestingly, Lucas cut those for the Special Editions. I loved everything else that I remembered, though.

I can imagine that the burning bodies of Uncle Beru and Uncle Owen might be a bit much.

Moe's cut sounds like it might be right up your daughter's alley -- although with his son being so obsessed with Vader, I'm worried that he's slipping to the Dark Side of the Force. :p (Be sure to read that last bit in your head with an Alec Guiness voice.)

"Droids" was cute (I love the theme song most of all), and you might want to try some "Clone Wars" or "Rebels" to test the waters of how ready she is.

Hope these ramblings helped somewhat!

Dr. Chim Richalds

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I don't know if she's quite there yet... She's a mixed bag. Had no problem with live action jungle book but cries when Mufasa dies in Lion King. I think she gets more upset when the characters are upset than if something "scary" happens. Hard to talk through charred corpses though... Fair point.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dr. Chim Richalds said:
Yeah I don't know if she's quite there yet... She's a mixed bag. Had no problem with live action jungle book but cries when Mufasa dies in Lion King. I think she gets more upset when the characters are upset than if something "scary" happens. Hard to talk through charred corpses though... Fair point.

Yeah that's why I edited out charred corpses, people being choked, and any other particularly intense moments. But honestly, if she's not clamorong to see it, I'd wait.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
My kids are four (will be five in September). One of them has been obsessed with Star Wars imagery for about two years after randomly picking up a Star Wars ABC book that my wife's SW obsessed college roommate gave us when the twins were born. He is particularly obsessed with Vader. I started playing the Imperial March on the guitar and now  he's also obsessed with the music. I made a quick edit of Star Wars (1977) to cut out some of the more intense bits. It cuts out about five minutes. I put it on an iPad for him but all he does is scrobble through to find Vader scenes. I'm happy to share my very rough edit. PM me if you want.

I’m not sure if this is the best place for this, but I’m  quoting myself here to provide some background. My kids are now five and a half and are in love with A New Hope. Just this past Friday they watched The Force Awakens and liked that too. Now the question in front of me is whether I should introduce them to the prequels. And, if so, should I use the theatrical versions or fan edits? My preferred versions (if such a thing actually exists) cuts out a lot of silly stuff that I’d imagine they’d love, being five and all and finding the word “poop” the funniest thing ever.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine have so far only seen A New Hope. They're eager for Empire but I'm stalling (yes I love SW too, but really: "I cut off your hand, I'm your father, join me"). I distract them with Star Wars Rebels, @"smudger9"'s edits of Clone Wars, all the Lego Star Wars, they even enjoy the Muppetshow episode starring Mark Hamill.

Lest you think my kids will just accept anything Star Wars: nope, they turned up their noses at the Ewoks cartoons and the Holiday Special. :D

For your own sanity, you should weigh the unedited Prequels against e.g. @"Hal9000"'s excellent edits. Yes, your kids will probably love all of Jar-Jar's antics, but do you really want them to re-enact those in your home ad nauseam?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
Mine have so far only seen A New Hope. They're eager for Empire but I'm stalling (yes I love SW too, but really: "I cut off your hand, I'm your father, join me"). I distract them with Star Wars Rebels, @"smudger9"'s edits of Clone Wars, all the Lego Star Wars, they even enjoy the Muppetshow episode starring Mark Hamill.

Lest you think my kids will just accept anything Star Wars: nope, they turned up their noses at the Ewoks cartoons and the Holiday Special. :D

For your own sanity, you should weigh the unedited Prequels against e.g. @"Hal9000"'s excellent edits. Yes, your kids will probably love all of Jar-Jar's antics, but do you really want them to re-enact those in your home ad nauseam?

Yeah, they aren’t ready for Empire. Interestingly, despite their love of Star Wars and cartoons, they never warmed to Rebels. I never showed them Clone Wars. 

As for the prequels, that’s kind of the point. I’d prefer to give them edits, but I also don’t want to rob them of something they may enjoy. And, I’m imagining them talking to friends about it and being all, “Jar Jar who?”

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
“Jar Jar who?”

If only! Oh, no, wait. That's exactly not what you mean. :angel:

I hear you. Pick an edit that has reduced Jar Jar instead of none.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Revenge of The Sith is much less kid-friendly than ESB, in my opinion. 

i-hate-you.gif

eef29e09986b2bbf72d3654474b24ece.gif

Sure, George. Star Wars is for kids. That's why Han can't shoot first, but a man can be burned alive and have his limbs cut off by his best friend.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
Revenge of The Sith is much less kid-friendly than ESB, in my opinion. 

Absolutely right! (I was going to "like" your post, but it feels plain wrong to like those frightening animated GIFs).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly, the reason I don’t want to show them Empire yet has more to do with the fact I think it won’t resonate with them yet. Empire is more about emotion and deeper themes. I could easily cut out some of the darker, scarier stuff like I did with Star Wars. But I think it wouldn’t still be over their heads. 

I’d edit the prequels too, especially burning Anakin. But my question more centers on whether to leave in the goofiness that most OT fans loathe, but kids seem to like. 

Or maybe I shouldn’t screen the PT at all. Or at least until they’ve already seen the full OT years from now.

Top Bottom