If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Introducing Kids To Star Wars
I showed my kids ANH only for a whole year when my son turned 6, then ESB this past year when he turned 7.  Sadly the Vader reveal had been ruined by a 5 year old friend...  They were still glued to the screen for the entire movie though.

Since then they watched ROTJ, TFA and R1, all of which they loved.  (TFA, ROTJ, R1 was their order of preference based on their attention level   Big Grin )

I don't have firm plans for the prequels.  I was wavering after TLJ... (which I don't plan on showing them for a long time unless a great edit comes out, then I'll have to buy it  Rolleyes)  I don't want my son's favorite cinematic character to be ruined so young in life - so I was thinking of showing them the prequels, that's how bad Luke/Jake was in TLJ...   Tongue
The artist formerly known as Solid11
(04-10-2018, 06:14 AM)Detective Wrote: I don't want my son's favorite cinematic character to be ruined so young in life

[Image: giphy.gif]
Photo 
(04-10-2018, 08:39 AM)TVs Frink Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 06:14 AM)Detective Wrote: I don't want my son's favorite cinematic character to be ruined so young in life

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 4TMTKXP.gif]

Luke isn't even remotely "ruined". He was despondent, had lost all hope and was in a bad place. Someone came to him and knocked him out of his funk. He redeemed and sacrificed himself to the Force for the rebellion/resistance. At the end of the film my opinion of Luke was greater than at any other point in the series.
You're an adult. Just cope.
Just remember, Rian ruined Luke and Disney ruined Star Wars.
I wonder what people who feel Luke was ruined wanted? That he was just fine and dandy and powering up for his chance to singlehandedly destroy the First Order with his lightsaber? For characters to have a story arc there has to be, you know, conflict.
I believe that if you dislike the characters in TLJ, but you cheer for Darth Vader killing rebels at the end of Rogue One, maybe you just want to see lightsaber murder by a Skywalker, and if that's the case, you're probably not going to get a lot of what you want to see from the "good guys" in Star Wars Episode films with Disney's name attached. 

But the good news is that you won't have to worry whether it's acceptable for your kids to watch.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
How Luke spends ROTJ:

- Finding out the only woman he ever loved is his sister and she's in love with his best friend
- Finding out his mother abandoned him but not his sister
- Watching one of his masters die
- Calling his other dead master out on his lies about his dead father and dead mother
- Thinking aloud about his dead mother
- Going on a suicide mission in the vague hope of redeeming his dad (the most evil man in the universe)
- Chopping off his dad's hand in a fit of violent rage
- Being tortured by lightning while his dad watches for ages
- Assisting his dad to commit suicide
- Simultaneously meeting his dad for the first and last time
- Burning his dad's body
- Being haunted by ghosts of his dead dad, his dead master and his other dead master

Luke spends TLJ processing that sh*t. Sounds about right.
(04-10-2018, 10:34 AM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: I wonder what people who feel Luke was ruined wanted? That he was just fine and dandy and powering up for his chance to singlehandedly destroy the First Order with his lightsaber? For characters to have a story arc there has to be, you know, conflict.

If you're serious - personally - I would have been happy if Luke was figuring out what, if anything, he did wrong in training Kylo, and how to defeat Snoke/help the Republic.  If Rey had tracked down another character and this was the same movie with a different despondent instructor - that's fine if it was true to what we know of that character.  My issue isn't with the conflict, it's the fact that it doesn't seem like Luke.

I don't like the idea of Jedi Masters using the Force for attack, death and destruction.  I would have been just as disappointed if Luke showed up on Crait and started tossing AT-AT's around - I like the Force projection idea.  I like Vader at the end of R1 because he's evil -and death and destruction is what bad people do.  I want my kids to see that it's bad to seek death, and it's good to seek peace and the well-being of others.

I also know many people can't see my point of view and/or will just post a gif to belittle it, and that's fine   Rolleyes  I wouldn't enjoy this site if everyone had the same opinion.
The artist formerly known as Solid11
Yes, if you're trying to protect your son from seeing Luke "ruined" then I'm gonna roll my eyes at it.
If you look at Campbell’s Hero’s Journey it’s all right there. The hero’s journey doesn’t end at happily ever after.