If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

AUGUST 2018 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

THE DEFENDERS
I'm about halfway through Iron Fist Season 2 right now and apparently I'm the only one who liked Season 1 better. Neither are great, and honestly neither is really that good, but I'm slightly more bored this time around.
(09-11-2018, 09:24 AM)asterixsmeagol Wrote:  Neither are great, and honestly neither is really that good, but I'm slightly more bored this time around.

I know exactly what you mean.  It's how I feel about pretty much all of the Netflix Marvel shows this time around.  It was ponderous to work my way through all of them.  And it's not superhero fatigue.  I don't know what it is?  The shows are too character oriented?  Too grounded?  The shows skirt too much around their comic book genre rather than fully embracing it?  The story arcs are too long?  All of the above?  Something else?  I dunno.... maybe it simply comes down to the fact the shows lack a sense of "fun"?    ...shrug..Blush
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
(09-11-2018, 10:30 AM)bionicbob Wrote: I know exactly what you mean.  It's how I feel about pretty much all of the Netflix Marvel shows this time around.  It was ponderous to work my way through all of them.  And it's not superhero fatigue.  I don't know what it is?  The shows are too character oriented?  Too grounded?  The shows skirt too much around their comic book genre rather than fully embracing it?  The story arcs are too long?  All of the above?  Something else?  I dunno.... maybe it simply comes down to the fact the shows lack a sense of "fun"?    ...shrug..Blush

I usually put it down to Too Little Story, Too Many Episodes. The main shows have about 8 episodes of content stretched out over 13, the Defenders has enough content to fill a movie, not 8 episodes.

The shows are still among my favourite interpretations of comic books for television, but it's not hard to acknowledge they have a pacing problem. I feel like if each episode was written individually, instead of seasons being written like 13 hour long movies, it might be a bit better. I'd love to see a TV-movie edit of all of these, basically Tongue
(09-11-2018, 10:30 AM)bionicbob Wrote: The shows are too character oriented?

Myself, I just don't like the characters. Luke Cage is a decent bloke, I guess, but he's not as interesting as AoS' Mac, so when *that* character died halfway through S1, I had no reason to keep watching. JJ S1 was great, but Jessica herself is unlikable and off-putting, which absolutely worked for that story, but left me with no reason to return. Matt Murdock is... meh. Two seasons with him were enough, and the characters around him were even weaker. The Punisher made for a compelling antagonist at times, but not enough to follow as the protagonist of his own show. As for Iron Fist... yeah, I never bothered with that.

So: a bunch of dour, uninteresting characters, bloated story arcs, low budgets, and an inability to really shake things up due to the confines of the MCU (which it in no way benefits from)? Pass. Wink
(09-13-2018, 07:04 PM)Gaith Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:30 AM)bionicbob Wrote: The shows are too character oriented?

Myself, I just don't like the characters. Luke Cage is a decent bloke, I guess, but he's not as interesting as AoS' Mac, so when *that* character died halfway through S1, I had no reason to keep watching. JJ S1 was great, but Jessica herself is unlikable and off-putting, which absolutely worked for that story, but left me with no reason to return. Matt Murdock is... meh. Two seasons with him were enough, and the characters around him were even weaker. The Punisher made for a compelling antagonist at times, but not enough to follow as the protagonist of his own show. As for Iron Fist... yeah, I never bothered with that.

So: a bunch of dour, uninteresting characters, bloated story arcs, low budgets, and an inability to really shake things up due to the confines of the MCU (which it in no way benefits from)? Pass. Wink

Luke Cage was compelling in Jessica Jones S1 because he meant well most of the time, but still got himself intro trouble anyway. In Luke Cage S1 he's the golden character and bad things happen to him at no fault of his own. He has no flaws to overcome as far as the plot is concerned, and while that's interesting for 90 minutes, it doesn't carry a show. He needed flaws, which he got in Luke Cage S2. Its an improvement. 

Jessica Jones being unlikeable worked in JJ S1 because everyone else was likeable. In S2 everyone is kinda jaded and even the villain is basically a less likable Jessica. Trailers for Iron First S2 look much better than S1 but I dunno if I'm up for it after S1 was such a show boring burn. Defenders was a huge let down.

What I'd like is for all this stuff to come out on disc (unless it's already all legally purchasable on some non Netflix service like iTunes or Amazon, might have to look into that) so someone can do proper movie edits for these characters, maybe under a Marvel Knights banner, and include Agent Carter, Shield, and (Lol) Inhumans movie edits into the mix.

The good ones if someone is looking for recommendations:
Daredevil season 1
Jessica Jones season 1
Luke Cage first half of season 1, stop when that character kicks the bucket.
Daredevil first half of season 2, stop when Punisher leaves before Elektra enters.
Luke Case season 2
Slip the rest of the Netflix stuff unless you're really into it after you watch the above.
Other MCU TV:
Inhumans, watch it all with beer (to laugh at).
Agents of Shield, watch the first episode to introduce the characters, then start right before the Winter Soldier tie in. Skip an episode when it feels slow, they have "previously on" segments
Agent Carter, watch season one or just watch the one shot.
In the U.K. the series are out on blu Ray up to Iron Fist season one. Sadly there's no decent extras or deleted scenes included. I stopped buying after Luke Cage Season one as quality has dipped since then. Definitely think there's a good 90-120 movie in Defenders though
(09-13-2018, 11:11 PM)stferguson78 Wrote: In the U.K. the series are out on blu Ray up to Iron Fist season one. Sadly there's no decent extras or deleted scenes included. I stopped buying after Luke Cage Season one as quality has dipped since then. Definitely think there's a good 90-120 movie in Defenders though

Good to know. Thanks.
(09-11-2018, 09:24 AM)asterixsmeagol Wrote: I'm about halfway through Iron Fist Season 2 right now and apparently I'm the only one who liked Season 1 better. Neither are great, and honestly neither is really that good, but I'm slightly more bored this time around.

Finished up Season 2 just now myself, and I concur.  Season 1 had some problems, but this was much, much worse.

Pros:
  • Finn Jones's acting is much improved.
  • The fight scenes are much better in terms of filming, editing, choreography.
  • No more boardroom scenes.
Cons:
  • The boardroom is gone, but the Meachums are still around, and not in a good way.
  • Tom Pelphrey's acting is abysmal.  He's like a combination of the worst qualities of David Carradine, Sylvester Stallone, and the full emotional range of Hayden Christensen.  His arc is complete filler, utterly disconnected from the plot in virtually every way. 
  • Joy's arc makes no sense to me at all, she seems like a completely different character.  In one scene, she lays out her goals.  Ward says he wants the same thing,  she responds with, "maybe someday I'll want that, too".  What?!?!
  • Until the very last stretch of episodes, the stakes are much lower, as is the scope.  The terms "divestment package" and "parlay" should not be frequently used phrases in a show about a martial arts master with a magic hand.
  • Although the fights are better, Danny doesn't participate nearly as often.  Iron Fist doesn't fight in every episode of Iron Fist.  Something is very wrong with this.
  • The very ending scene is complete nonsense. 
In their attempts to fix the issues with Season 1, they overcompensated, throwing out the baby with the bath water.  If we're fortunate enough to get a third season, they need to roll the dice again, get yet another show runner and writing staff onboard.