• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Solo - A Star Wars Story

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Needs Han tumbling into the Sarlaac. :D

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IGN presents that cameo:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ God I hated that bit (in an otherwise excellent movie) for so many reasons.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think I'm actually going to be able to go see this movie in the theater on Monday. Looking forward to an adventure in a galaxy far, far away without any jedi or lightsabers....well minus that one I guess....

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was frustrated by the movie completely jumping over Han's Imperial period, but this scene is... well, it's pretty bad, I'm afraid:

Han getting kicked out of the Imperial Navy for saving Chewbacca's life from execution, as I understand the EU lore went, would have been considerably better.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My suggestions for anyone making a fanedit of Solo:

Insert the deleted scene of Qi'ra and Han jumping into a vat of eels. We see Qi'ra outthink Han, which helps me believe her survival skills later in the movie. The intimate moment reveals more emotional connection than the slightly rushed affection in the early part of the movie, which helps me get emotionally invested in their bond.

Insert the deleted scene at the Naval Academy. It's not perfect, but it explains how Han goes from enlisting in the navy to getting into the infantry. It also confirms Han's attitude to authority. This was the only part in the theatrical release where I felt that Ron Howard cut out an entire scene. Turns out that feeling was correct!

Improve the music (I know, easier said than done). The music was the biggest disappointment for me in Solo. The score has new Solo music, some Rogue One references, and a few Star Wars snippets. What disappointed me is that the transitions are too abrupt and the SW and R1 inserts too short. It doesn't help that the Solo music lacks the emotional power of SW or even R1, which makes the inserts all the more jarring for how abrupt they start and end. So, for anyone who has great musical editing skills: please lengthen the SW and R1 references, maybe add a few more, and smooth out their transitions.

All in all, I enjoyed Solo and think Ron Howard and the actors did a commendable job. While unnecessary for this movie, I didn't even mind Maul: I appreciate that this affirms another interesting snippet from the SW cartoon universe into the SW movie universe.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finally saw it yesterday. Lukewarm reviews kept me from seeing it opening weekend, and I missed my chance to see it at the discount theater.

Quick, non-spoiler review: I loved it. Right up there with Rogue One for me. I don't know if going in with such low expectations made it better, but it had exactly the right tone and feel.

Alden isn't Harrison Ford, but he's a good actor, and the writing was so spot-on for Han that I stopped thinking about the different actor before the opening sequence was done.

There are many Easter eggs in this, but they felt much more natural than Rogue One, and I loved almost every one of them.

The music was the first of the new set of movies that I liked on first hearing.

The visuals were great. Set in between Eps. III and IV, it had elements of both the prequels and the OT in terms of the design.

It's a shame that this movie didn't have a better box performance. Mediocre reviews, people still annoyed over TLJ arguments, and too many movies in a short time span (among other things) apparently doomed this film. I hope it does much better on home video, because it deserves an audience.

Spoiler-filled follow-up review hopefully coming soon.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, time for some spoiler thoughts. Spoilers ahead not just for "Solo," but for all currently released “Star Wars” media. You have been warned.  :)

--Let’s talk about the pink elephant, or the red Sith, in the room first. Since it took me so long to see the film, of course Darth Maul got spoiled for me ages ago. But even if it hadn’t, the subtitles on the DVD said “Maul” when his back was still to us. LOL.

At first, like most people, my reaction was, “What? Why?” But when I actually saw the film, it didn’t really matter that much. He’s in there so briefly anyway. The important thing in the scene is Q’ira saving Han’s life (because she still cares), but simultaneously cementing her own life in the criminal underworld because she doesn’t think she can get out, and she’s probably attracted to the money and power. That scene is so good, it really doesn’t matter who she’s talking to.

Interestingly, this movie would have been completely without any Force-sensitive individuals if not for Darth Maul. I would have been fine with that, but I understood why Disney couldn’t resist putting in one character like that. The bigger problem is that it’s never explained how Darth Maul is still alive, and we won’t see his final defeat on film because that already happened in the various cartoon series. I think it’ll just be confusing more than anything else. Snoke might have been a better choice.

--Before seeing the movie, I wondered why Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett weren’t in it. But after watching it, I see that they weren’t really necessary. In fact, if Jabba had been revealed to be behind everything in the end, that would have been too obvious.

--Going back to the beginning: It’s funny that they skipped the opening crawl but still kept a multiple-paragraph prologue. (shrug) Oh, well.

--As a kid, I never thought anything of Han’s last name. As an adult, I realized it was fairly ridiculous for a loner to be born with the last name “Solo.” So to have the name given to him offhand by an Imperial officer because he chooses to forget his past -- that was a very cool, and oddly touching, moment.

--In “The Force Awakens,” I was annoyed that Han walked into an obvious trap and got killed by his son. He’s smarter than that. And this movie showed Han outwitting Beckett, which underscores that point.

But then this movie also shows Han getting himself into deep trouble because he can’t let go of Q’ira, and continues to trust her despite the evidence. So, in a way, this movie makes more sense of Han’s actions in TFA.

--Before the movie, I heard Ron Howard say that Han and Chewie don’t start out as friends. I groaned. “So, this is going to follow the cliches of a rom-com / buddy movie?” But then when they dropped Han in the pit to let the “monster” get him, I thought, “Oh, please let this be Chewie!” And it was! And the scene was great.

When the guards said “he hasn’t eaten in 3 days,” though, I’m hoping it wasn’t people he was eating. Maybe a Gamorrean pig or something.

--L3’s characterization was fascinating and curious. “Star Wars” doesn’t typically get into philosophical issues about whether or not artificial life can be sentient. That’s much more of a “Star Trek” thing. But “A New Hope” featured the famous line “We don’t serve their kind in here,” and then it was never really followed up on until now, so I can’t say the choice is invalid.

The film itself remains ambiguous on the point. Her actions liberating the other droids is portrayed as very heroic, and Lando is incredibly sad that she doesn’t survive, but then they hook her up to the Falcon because there’s still useful data in her, i.e., treat her like a machine. I guess the filmmakers are leaving it to our interpretation.

--Speaking of droids, I read an article where someone said that people in the "Star Wars" universe don't like droids because of the droid armies in the Clone Wars. I don't know if that's intentional on the filmmakers' part, but that's an excellent interpretation!

--Can we just take a moment and admire the beauty of this exchange? “Okay, Haaan.” “It’s ‘Hahn,’ but whatever.” I *died* laughing!

--I loved “Rogue One,” but there really was no point in the cameos by R2-D2 and C-3PO or by those two criminals from the cantina. Here, there were a ton of Easter eggs, but they felt much more natural. If you didn’t know anything about them, the scenes still made sense.

• [size=small]Beckett’s disguise when they land on Kessel is the same disguise Lando wore in “Return of the Jedi”! His closet on the Millennium Falcon has some useful items.[/size]
  • [size=small]“I hate you.” “I know.”[/size]
  • [size=small]In “The Empire Strikes Back,” C-3P0 comments that Han’s navigational computer “has an extremely odd dialect.” The writers of “Solo” have confirmed that’s because L3 is still in there.[/size]
  • [size=small]I didn’t catch it, but someone pointed out after I saw it that there’s an Imperial propaganda film playing in the movie, and the music in it is actually the “Imperial March”! That person was complaining about it, but honestly, what other music would suffice?[/size]
  • [size=small]Aurra Sing is a character that George Lucas created for “The Phantom Menace.” We glimpse her for about 2 seconds watching the podrace. Eventually she did show up again in “The Clone Wars,” I think. And someone mentions that Beckett killed her! What a random, obscure payoff! But she’s part of the criminal underworld, so it made sense.[/size]
  • [size=small]The fighting style known as Teräs Käsi first showed up in 1996’s “Shadows of the Empire.” It was later the basis of a poorly-received video game. I never expected that to get name-checked in this movie![/size]
  • [size=small]Again, a random character in “The Phantom Menace” onscreen for 2 seconds watching the podrace -- in this case, one played by Warwick Davis -- ends up being part of Enfys Nest.[/size]
  • [size=small]And of course, the Kessel Run was the centerpiece of this movie. It had to be. There was no way around it. And it was fantastic![/size]
--In fact, one of the new name-checking/Easter egg things that I didn’t care for, that I haven’t heard anyone else talk about, is Enfys Nest being part of a “rebellion.” Seriously? Does *everything* have to tie back to the Rebel Alliance? Why can’t this just be a group of characters seeking justice for what was done to their home world?

--So, Chewbacca is looking to set his family free, right? And then they get to Kessel and he rescues them...and then we don’t see them again. What happened to them? Maybe his family is still out there somewhere, and those were just other Wookies from the tribe? (Also, this was extremely close to being a “Holiday Special” Easter egg, which I loved.)

--Random side note: I thought Doug Chiang worked as the production designer on this movie because this looked similar to his work on Eps. I & II, as well as TFA and “Rogue One.” But apparently he had nothing to do with this, or with Ep. III or “Last Jedi.” That was news to me today.

--I don’t want Ep. IX overstuffed with characters, but if there’s a logical way to include Q’ira so that we find out what happened to her, that could actually be a lot of fun. (Of course, she’d have to be played by an older actress.)

Anyway, sorry for the novel-length post. The movie was a lot of fun, and it got me excited about “Star Wars” again. :)

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Youtube deepfake artist derpfakes has released a new video in which Alden Ehrenreich's face in "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is digitally replaced with Harrison Ford's. He did a different one months ago, but this one is much better. A few shots look almost real.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Youtube deepfake artist derpfakes has released a new video in which Alden Ehrenreich's face in "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is digitally replaced with Harrison Ford's. He did a different one months ago, but this one is much better. A few shots look almost real.

Wow, do you know if he's planning on doing the whole movie this way?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:

I still can't understand why they didn't get Anthony Ingruber to do this role. He was incredibly believable in Age of Adeline as a young Harrison Ford. If the Derpfakes team would share their specific process I'm sure there would be a group that would be willing to tackle the entire film. Perhaps that would be enough to even entice Ingruber to do some ADR work for a fanedit.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
hbenthow said:

I still can't understand why they didn't get Anthony Ingruber to do this role. He was incredibly believable in Age of Adeline as a young Harrison Ford. If the Derpfakes team would share their specific process I'm sure there would be a group that would be willing to tackle the entire film. Perhaps that would be enough to even entice Ingruber to do some ADR work for a fanedit.
No offense but Ingruber has the charisma of a rock. A rock doing a decent Harrison Ford impression, but still a rock. Alden did fine. Any issues with the movie were not with casting.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
No offense but Ingruber has the charisma of a rock. A rock doing a decent Harrison Ford impression, but still a rock. Alden did fine. Any issues with the movie were not with casting.

I generally don't get offended by someone's opinions as they are just that, opinions. I don't always agree with those opinions however ;)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

I generally don't get offended by someone's opinions as they are just that, opinions. I don't always agree with those opinions however ;)

I’ll give you this, Ingruber might have been an improvement for the role of Han in  Return of the Jedi.   :p

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
DigModiFicaTion said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I’ll give you this, Ingruber might have been an improvement for the role of Han in  Return of the Jedi.   :p

giphy.webp

Where is the dislike button when you need it.... :p

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
stferguson78 said:
Wow, do you know if he's planning on doing the whole movie this way?

I don't think so, at least not soon. Deepfake technology is still in its infancy. While the results can look good in low-quality Youtube videos, it's not yet possible to make face replacement of people reasonably close to the camera look convincing in HD or even high-bitrate SD (such as DVD quality).

If the technology ever becomes good enough and someone does this for the whole movie, hopefully they can use samples of Harrison Ford's face from his 1960s movie and television work rather than from his later work.

DigModiFicaTion said:
I still can't understand why they didn't get Anthony Ingruber to do this role. He was incredibly believable in Age of Adeline as a young Harrison Ford. If the Derpfakes team would share their specific process I'm sure there would be a group that would be willing to tackle the entire film. Perhaps that would be enough to even entice Ingruber to do some ADR work for a fanedit.

Anthony Ingruber did a great job of redubbing Harrison Ford for the Auralnauts channel's Star Wars parody series. Even without face replacement, I'd love to have a version of "Solo" in which Alden Ehrenreich's lines are redubbed by Ingruber. To me, Ehrenreich's voice was more distractingly dissimilar to Harrison Ford than his face was. It wasn't so much a matter of timbre (something that can change over age), but rather his accent and his pronunciation of various words.

I don't know whether or not Ingruber would be willing to do it, though (with or without a version featuring Harrison Ford's face via deepfake technology).

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just found out that derpfakes wrote the following in a comment on his video two days ago:

Anyone wanting an Anthony Ingruber overdub head to https://twitter.com/RealDerpfakes and like my tweet. Would be great to get a top Han voice in the next Solo video!

Here's a link to the comment:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We're probably beyond spoilers but I'll put it in tags anyway...

I hated the Maul cameo myself (nearly ruined an otherwise excellent film) but for those that liked it but wish it had the Peter Serafinowicz Ep.1 style voice (not the cartoon version), then this fan voiced version of the scene could be handy for fanedits of 'Solo':

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know as much as I hated the Maul reveal in the end I would have absolutely loved to see Emilia Clarke's Qi'ra as a Sith (or rather, Dark Jedi?)

Top Bottom