• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Solo - A Star Wars Story

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know this is 2018, but couldn't believe no thread has been made. But, now there is! :D

With a release date of May 25, 2018, it's less than a year till we see the new Han Solo, who is played by Alden Ehrenreich. It seems Chewie and Lando is back. Particularly Lando is reportedly played by Donald Glover and Woody Harrelson is some sort of mentor.

But the main topic a month ago is probably the whole director dilemma. Lord and Miller and Disney have parted ways over "creative differences", although I'm not too worried because as we all know, Ron Howard is taking the wing. 

Well, let's start discussing, people! ;)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, I see. But a new thread won't hurt. :p 

But as you said, till any trailer or teaser or poster or an official title, this thread is purely speculation. 

Or official news comes out. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If anybody missed this recent video... Mike and Rich try to predict the plot of the Han Solo movie (with an emphasis on coming up with the stupidest and most reductive story possible). It all sounds horribly feasible and dumb enough to be true...

As of now, I have low expectations for this film based on the missteps in 'Rogue One'. Hopefully a trailer can convince me otherwise.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
If anybody missed this recent video... Mike and Rich try to predict the plot of the Han Solo movie (with an emphasis on coming up with the stupidest and most reductive story possible). It all sounds horribly feasible and dumb enough to be true...

As of now, I have low expectations for this film based on the missteps in 'Rogue One'. Hopefully a trailer can convince me otherwise.
I haven't watched the video but you had me right up until you said "based on the missteps in Rogue One." That was easily the best Star Wars movie in 36 years. Perfect? No. But if Han Solo is somewhere between Force Awakens and Rogue One in quality, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
36 years? What?

Holy crap I got old fast.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And yet I did not watch a single movie until Force Awakens came out and that blew me away and made me a Star Wars fan. (although the ESB twist was not a twist at all because of the damn memes in the internet) :p 

For the sake of this Han Solo thread, who would anyone prefer more for this movie: Lord & Miller or Ron Howard?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ron Howard hands down. The Lego Movie is Fantastic and hilarious, but I'm hoping Howard remembers his Willow days and makes a Star Wars gem that is serious in tone with the appropriate amount of levity to keep things going.

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you watch their prediction video for Force Awakens, you can kind of see how correct their Han Solo predictions will be. :)
But I have to say their Han Solo sounds *plausible*.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since were just speculating right now, I'll go off piste for a bit...

Moe_Syzlak said:
I haven't watched the video but you had me right up until you said "based on the missteps in Rogue One." That was easily the best Star Wars movie in 36 years. Perfect? No. But if Han Solo is somewhere between Force Awakens and Rogue One in quality, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's my personal feeling that R1 was damaged in post by the sort on mentality that Mike and Rich are talking about. Shove in things people know, instead of new stuff. Shove Vader in it, shove Tarkin in it, shove a Space Battle in it etc. Then to make room for those additions, edit down the new characters to a bare skeleton.

Remember a year ago when this happened...

People were really excited by this new villain but by the time R1 hit theaters he had been reduced to a third tier role under CGI Tarkin and a Vader Halloween costume. I'm sure Disney could have sold a sh*t-ton of Director Krennic lunchboxes if they had concentrated on making him the memorable star. Instead they went for "fan service" and all the people whooping during that Vader with a lightsaber scene (because that's so fresh a concept) got what they thought they wanted.

By the way, I very much enjoyed R1 but I could see how it was probably better before some timid meddling.

That in a nutshell is why I'm worried for this HS movie. What we need is Han and Chewie in the Falcon off on an adventure to new places, with new people. What we'll probably get (what Mike and Rich are predicting) is what Disney think we want, a film set in places we know with Boba Fett, Jabba, Lando and Jedis (for some reason?) with a plot cobbled together to somehow connect those elements. This is a worse case scenario. Let's hope it's wrong.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Since were just speculating right now, I'll go off piste for a bit...

Moe_Syzlak said:

It's my personal feeling that R1 was damaged in post by the sort on mentality that Mike and Rich are talking about. Shove in things people know, instead of new stuff. Shove Vader in it, shove Tarkin in it, shove a Space Battle in it etc. Then to make room for those additions, edit down the new characters to a bare skeleton.

Remember a year ago when this happened...

People were really excited by this new villain but by the time R1 hit theaters he had been reduced to a third tier role under CGI Tarkin and a Vader Halloween costume. I'm sure Disney could have sold a sh*t-ton of Director Krennic lunchboxes if they had concentrated on making him the memorable star. Instead they went for "fan service" and all the people whooping during that Vader with a lightsaber scene (because that's so fresh a concept) got what they thought they wanted.

By the way, I very much enjoyed R1 but I could see how it was probably better before some timid meddling.

That in a nutshell is why I'm worried for this HS movie. What we need is Han and Chewie in the Falcon off on an adventure to new places, with new people. What we'll probably get (what Mike and Rich are predicting) is what Disney think we want, a film set in places we know with Boba Fett, Jabba, Lando and Jedis (for some reason?) with a plot cobbled together to somehow connect those elements. This is a worse case scenario. Let's hope it's wrong.
Ah I see what you're saying. I agree to an extent. If you've seen some of my feedback on various edits of R1 you know I absolutely hate the amount of fan service in R1. And overall the concept itself is a major problem for Star Wars in general. Namely, that it seems that the creativity of the folks making these movies seem only interested in rehashing/rebooting/ripping off what's come before and/or explaining/showing things mentioned in passing previously that really don't NEED to be shown. That said, I thought Krennic was still a good character and well developed for a Star Wars movie. Likewise, I felt the new heroes were also well developed (for a Star Wars movie). I've said it before but I cared about those characters and their ultimate deaths more than I cared about Han Solo's death. But I digress. Your point is taken and I do believe this movie will suffer from the same issues. Still, if it turns out half as good as R1 I'll be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I should watch the video.

Cactus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
With regards to R1 - and we are getting OT here - I remember what I wrote about Rob Zombie's "Halloween" remake. Zombie spends the first 40 minutes of the movie setting up Myers' childhood and background, explaining why he kills. I wrote that it is superfluous, reasoning that "it would be like remaking Star Wars and spending the first half of the movie with the opening crawl". And with R1 they did just that.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cactus said:
With regards to R1 - and we are getting OT here

I see what you did there.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But, but, Michael K Williams has to have a cameo in every ill-advised 80s reboot?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
The Wire actor Michael K. Williams says he's stepping down. http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/22/star-wars-han-solo-michael-k-williams-cut/

He seems to play a “kickass” half-human, half-animal character that he helped develop with Lord and Miller, but because the reshoots clashed with his schedule on another project, his character won’t be in the final version.

Thoughts?
Paul Bettany has been cast in the role vacated by Williams. The character will reportedly be the same, however it will now be human and not CG. My guess is getting rid of the CG will save money on a film that HAS to be way over budget by now.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wait, wait, wait.  So we have a Star Wars movie wherein a character originally intended to be CG is being replaced by a human?  We've now reached full inverse-Jabbafication.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
theryaney said:
The Wire actor Michael K. Williams says he's stepping down. http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/22/star-wars-han-solo-michael-k-williams-cut/

He seems to play a “kickass” half-human, half-animal character that he helped develop with Lord and Miller, but because the reshoots clashed with his schedule on another project, his character won’t be in the final version.

Thoughts?
Paul Bettany has been cast in the role vacated by Williams. The character will reportedly be the same, however it will now be human and not CG. My guess is getting rid of the CG will save money on a film that HAS to be way uber budget by now.

I guess with the CG he's too similar to Jarvis and Vision.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Wait, wait, wait.  So we have a Star Wars movie wherein a character originally intended to be CG is being replaced by a human?  We've now reached full inverse-Jabbafication.

Also known as reverse-Jarjarification. Poor Ahmed Best.

Top Bottom