• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

fanediting my house. . .

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
by gardening. not as unique a hobby as fanediting movies, but the peacefulness that comes with it is a decent (though partial) antidote to stressing over the extreme abnormality of american politics. trump and his stooges drove me to discover my green thumb, haha.

part of the fun is geeking out over various plants and their individual needs and tendencies. over the past few weeks, i've acquired a shitload of knowledge about growing blackberries in containers, about primocane fruiting and floricane fruiting, about tipping and pruning to increase fruit yield; now i just have to apply this knowledge and not kill my young plants.

currently growing:
— basil
— serrano peppers
— a mystery pepper, probably a thai variety
— chives
— and blackberries, glorious motherfuckin' blackberries. no fruit so far, but maybe in a few months. . . .

my current hero: dr. john clark of the university of arkansas. he's bred a thornless, erect blackberry that fruits twice a year.
any of you mofos garden as well? this is the thread for discussing what you're growing! (marijuana and otherwise.)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love gardening. Haven't had as much time for it in the last couple years as in the past, but I still try to get outside and tinker in the soil. I'm currently cultivating:

Black Raspberries
Blueberries
Tomatoes (mostly "volunteer" tomatoes. don't have to do much with these)
Basil
A few varieties of lettuce/greens

Really not much, but my small yard is mostly shaded.

Rubus (blackberries, black raspberries, etc.) grows pretty well without too much work, at least in the eastern US. Just keep it pruned to about shoulder height. It's a common early-successional plant, and I have spent a lot of time working on studies assessing the effects (importance really) of habitat disturbance on bird populations. Unintended result: I've made a lot of raspberry pies.  :D

Of course, the thornless variety may need some extra attention. I welcome my stabby green friend though.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
coolio, farmer throw. how do you keep away vertebrate pests from your edibles? squirrels, birds, kobolds, etc.
i'm thinking about using snake and owl decoys, but i don't know how effective these will be.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a mini orchard in my back and front yards. Most of them are quite young and don't fruit yet, but some of them are older than me and bare heavily. I wish I had planted these a long time ago.

tangelo (by far the best citrus fruit for eating)
lemon (2)
kaffir lime for thai food
blood orange (no fruit yet)
avocado (reed and lamb hass)
mango (graham, coconut cream, and pickering. No fruit yet, having problems with anthracnose)
kohala longan (delicious)
sweetheart lychee (no fruit yet. it's fussy)
parfianka pomegranate (fruit ripening right now. hopefully it doesn't all split like last year)
cherimoya (delicious but so many seeds)
pineapple guava/feijoa
sapodilla/chico/chicle/nispero (way too many names for this tree. fruit is sickening sweet and delicious)
white sapote (I think I killed it when I moved it but I haven't given up hope yet)

In addition to those, I have basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, lemongrass, and chives. A tip for basil is to tear off the flower buds which will make the plant keep growing and producing more leaves. Once it's all flowered it usually dries up and dies. By pinching off the flowers, it can grow quite large.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
coolio, farmer throw. how do you keep away vertebrate pests from your edibles? squirrels, birds, kobolds, etc.
i'm thinking about using snake and owl decoys, but i don't know how effective these will be.

fencing and netting. Squirrels are pretty much a lost cause. Giving them distraction food (corn, nuts, etc.) can be helpful. for the berries, I have netting that I place over the top of the patches.

The snake and owl decoys don't do much aside from give your home a little extra decoration :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:

My rodent control is Feline Patrol.
They do better when temps are not 100° plus.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
ssj said:

My rodent control is Feline Patrol.
They do better when temps are not 100° plus.

I need to put on my professional hat for a moment:

Please do not let your cats outside. They are an incredibly huge impact to native wildlife populations, especially those of birds. In the United States alone, cats kill nearly 4 billion birds per year and over 20 billion small mammals (yes, billions). In fact they are the largest anthropogenic source of wildlife mortality in the world. We have linked many species extinctions specifically to feral cat populations.

I also say this not only as an ornithologist, but as a cat lover. No matter how much you think your cat wants to go outside, it's not good for the cat either. Keep Mittens indoors, and give him or her lots of attention. I am down to one feline roommate at the moment, and she never goes outside.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
excellent advice, skyled. that probably explains one withered basil lateral i saw among a bunch of healthy leaves.

seems the squirrels are smart little bastards, throw. it also impresses/bothers me that they have spiderman-like climbing abilities.

ferryman, wish i had a hypoallergenic robot cat that would do the requisite job.

3610eb71962a6ba186104ddddd3355fc.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
it also impresses/bothers me that they have spiderman-like climbing abilities.

cNxjaBQ.gif

When I was in Iowa I likewise was amazed at those little guys. Spiderman has nothing on those little bushy tailed ninjas.

I love the garden, but honestly I can't stand the feel of dirt and dried out skin.....weird I know, so I'm more of a tomato plant in a bucket kind of guy :) Love those little red sunshine drops that burst with acidic juiciness. I've forgotten which variety I prefer, but it has a good savory taste to it.

I always think it's odd when I hear of people growing blackberries. They grow wild and everywhere here. I used to love walking up and down my parents road eating black berries, huckleberries, salmon berries and thimble berries. Nature spoiled me in my youth :)

I'm totally interested in those spineless black berries though, and twice a year production is awesome!

Nice thread ssj!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
When I was in Iowa

I'm sorry for your suffering

DigModiFicaTion said:
I always think it's odd when I hear of people growing blackberries. They grow wild and everywhere here. I used to love walking up and down my parents road eating black berries, huckleberries, salmon berries and thimble berries. Nature spoiled me in my youth :)

I think this is definitely an eastern North America experience. As I stated above, Rubus is one of the most abundant early-successional species within this half of the continent. They pop up everywhere! I've traveled quite a bit, but there is something special about Appalachia's temperate forests. I currently straddle the line between Appalachia and the Midwest, but I always find myself venturing east.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm envious of those who grew up near wild berry patches and sasquatch. nothing like that where i live, DMF.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep. Loads of paw-paws here. They're tasty as a seasonal treat, but nothing I would want year-round

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Years ago, long before joining this site, my first experience on a forum was here:

https://www.h2g2.com/

I was friendly with another user named John the Gardener.

I now assume that was ssj.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently growing on my patio:
Curled Parsley
Stevia
Thyme
Rosemary
French Tarragon
Fernleaf odorant dill
3 or 4 varieties of Petunia
Portulaca
Pink geranium
Orange Marigold
Begonia rex
Maiden hair Fern
Pink Kalancho
Gerbera daisy
Zinnia giant cactus flower
Blue Ageratum

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Years ago, long before joining this site, my first experience on a forum was here:

https://www.h2g2.com/

I was friendly with another user named John the Gardener.

I now assume that was ssj.

haha, frink, you're being stalked. or fruited. or flowered.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[align=center]

Screenshot of ssj @ 0:37
Frink can be seen @1:12  :p ....just kidding.
I'm pretty sure 2:19 is Throw and Frink surveying all of we underlings.

We could all film our Hobbit selves and edit them into the LotR scene and call the edit concerning ssj & friends.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
why am i not surprised rogue grows things? the man seems as though he can do it all, maybe even grow his own furniture. :)

thanks, DMF. figured we needed a thread about fanediting soil.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of soil, what kind of poo,/rubish/compost or other fertilizer do you all prefer to help those young plants grow?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Speaking of soil, what kind of poo,/rubish/compost or other fertilizer do you all prefer to help those young plants grow?

I have a super small operation, so my only additive is compost. We compost all our veg scraps (which is quite a bit since my wife and I are vegetarians).

Top Bottom