• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Kermode and Mayo: Great Moments in Film Criticism

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are already several playlists of Observer/BBC film critic Mark Kermode's famous rants over on YT, but many delightful exchanges and bits also occur in milder reviews. Therefore, I present the first in a possibly ongoing compilation of such nuggets:

[align=center]

If anyone has favorite moments from reviews over the years, please point them out and I'll consider including them in a future entry!  :cool:

ETA: Part Two:

[align=center]

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Omg yeeees. Mark Kermode is by far my favourite film critic. The way he can construct criticism is almost an artform in and of itself.

His takedowns of King Arthur and Pirates 5 were spectacular.

Nice few glimses of the infinite likeability of Simon Mayo, too :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice idea Gaith. Didn't you do a video editing in scenes from the movie to sync with a rant? More of both please.

One of the best rants has to be Entourage. Even Simon who tends to stay above the fray, can't hide his hatred for the film.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Nice idea Gaith. Didn't you do a video editing in scenes from the movie to sync with a rant? More of both please.

One of the best rants has to be Entourage. Even Simon who tends to stay above the fray, can't hide his hatred for the film.

You think Entourage was bad? Kermode was on the verge of joining the communist party, in his Sex and the City 2 review.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
You think Entourage was bad? Kermode was on the verge of joining the communist party, in his Sex and the City 2 review.

I think he rather liked 'Sex and the City 2' compared to 'Entourage' :D . Quote from his 'Entourage' review: "Compared to this, 'Sex and the City 2' is a call to arms for the dispossessed masses of the world to rise up".

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I think he rather liked 'Sex and the City 2' compared to 'Entourage' :D . Quote from his 'Entourage' review: "Compared to this, 'Sex and the City 2' is a call to arms for the dispossessed masses of the world to rise up".

North Korea could release a comprehensive documentary on the evils of western ideals. Yet it wouldn't come close to a double bill of Entourage and S&TC2.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

You're thinking of this:

I've always had an eye open for other reviews that would benefit significantly from interspersed clips, but there really aren't many. Monster Trucks would be a good one, because nearly everything he says about it can be referenced with visuals alone, but without video of Kermode reviewing, I had to piece together a slideshow instead.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kermode is doing some sort of streaming live event called "MK3D" on youtube in about 19 hours time (monday evening). I'm a bit unsure exactly what the format is going to be but here is the link for fans of the good doctor:

Top Bottom