• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Live long and prosper.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I joined this site a number of years ago, this was a friendly international site run by a lovely German fellow. Over the years this place has been a great place to discuss ideas and to hear and see things from other points of view. I have particularly enjoyed discussions with Vultural and ssj, two guys who have very different life experiences and viewpoints to mine, but are able to engage in a, dare I say it, mature way, such that it has been a pleasure to explore their viewpoints and ideas.

Unfortunately in recent times this site has begun to be dominated by a some members and a couple of moderators with a very narrow point of view. They have sought to enforce their Cultural Narrative on the rest of the forum, to the detriment of the forum. It is wearisome to have to have to wonder if this post or that post is going to trigger a rabid response from them. It is unpleasant to watch them gang up to attack second- or third-language English speakers from a completely different culture because their culture is "wrong" or because they misused a certain phrase. It is boring to try to second-guess what the current Agenda of Important Things to Be Very Angry About is in their specific brand of America. (Specific as I realise there is great diversity in the US, and I know there are many civil and agreeable Americans on this site too!).
I was quite happy to realise that as this is something I do for fun and it's not actually that fun anymore, I don't need to hang around.

So, this is farewell and thanks for all the fish. To all of you who contributed to a friendly exchange of ideas and opinions: thank you!
A special thanks to Vultural and ssj for the fruitful and interesting discussions over the years. Would've been fascinating to sit down with both of you over a beverage IRL.
A shout-out to TM2YC - your work is *fantastic* dude. Keep it up. I will be checking IFDB for any of your new releases.
To the rest of you on the forums: Goodbye and Good Luck.

DM out.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sad to see you go, dangermouse; it's always been a pleasure yakking with you.

if i ever go to norway and you're still checking your PMs, i'll send you a digital smoke signal and we'll have a drink together.

and of course you're going to live long. . . 'cause you got that afterlife thing going.
Smile.jpg

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad I keep my nose out of all this drama. Life's too short to hate anonymous people on the internet when there's so many people to hate in real life.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ this, minus the hating in real life part  ;)
and what Mr. Gaith said below.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to see you in a funk, hombre. I'm hardly the most popular poster on the forum, I'd wager (though I guess I am one of the longer-active ones at this point), but all in all I think I and everyone else here gets a fair shake. If you ever feel like returning... don't stay away on my account. Be well. :)

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry you feel that way. Internet arguments can get a bit out of hand.

I'd ask you to reconsider, but I know it's hard to surround yourself with people you disagree with.

Just know that those counter arguments all came from a place of love and compassion, even if some negative emotions hijacked them.

I wish you all the best.

Peace and love, Danger Mouse. Give my regards to your cousin, Rasta.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're a good guy, DangerMouse, and I hope you'll find your way back here someday.
I have no knowledge of what FE was like during the Boon era.
In my experience, new managers generally impose their own values.
One adjusts.
Are the MODs and Admin more North American centric than before?
I do not know.
I suspect, despite the "value diversity" ethos, the site is overwhelmingly Caucasian male.
Fanedits themselves are predominately male oriented.
Is that a bad thing?
Of course not.  This is a guy site, after all.
One lives with the menu offered.
If you opt not to return, DangerMouse, then best of luck on your path.
Days darken and I daresay you see the future clearer where you are, as do other Europeans and the Brits.
Adios, DM.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Are the MODs and Admin more North American centric than before?

I don't remember the exact staff makeup during the Boon days (though I was around for the back half of it).  At current, I think TM2YC is the only one not living in the US.  Regardless, Boon is German so the site is no longer owned by a German but an American, and perhaps that answers the question you're actually asking.

I suspect, despite the "value diversity" ethos, the site is overwhelmingly Caucasian male.

Since there are no women on the internet, I have no doubt you're at least half right.

Is that a bad thing?

Despite your "of course not" I think it's definitely a bad thing that fanediting is, as far as we know, male-dominated.  Different perspectives are always welcome, be it Hollywood or Faneditwood.  It would be nice to see some more female faneditors.

And I don't know what you mean by "this is a guy site."  If that's true, it's not meant as one.

Days darken and I daresay you see the future clearer where you are, as do other Europeans and the Brits.

Is this a reference to US politics?  Because if not, once again I don't know what you mean.  The future is inclusive, not exclusive.  DMs views are most definitely the latter.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And in case it wasn't already clear, DM was not given a 1-day temp ban because he didn't like the idea of Doctor Who being a woman.  He wasn't given a ban because of his political views.  He was given a ban because he wouldn't stop posting insults, despite three separate warnings to knock it off.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse (if you ever read this), it's unfortunate that you couldn't see the 1-day temp ban as an opportunity to cool down for a moment. It might surprise you that the admin team here constantly discuss how to deal with certain issues (such as this one) and agree what to do. So your view that...

dangermouse said:
this site has begun to be dominated by... a couple of moderators with a very narrow point of view. They have sought to enforce their Cultural Narrative on the rest of the forum, to the detriment of the forum.

...is certainly not correct. We all agreed you'd gone to far (including myself) by saying things like "Me no need to think", "Good grief. Are you guys seriously so dumb", "now I understand why America voted in an ape as a president", "If anyone feels like engaging on this topic above the level of a toddler in a playpen" to members and moderators, even after a few warnings. You just needed to calm down for a while.

All that aside, I still appreciate the help you gave me on my Doctor Who fanedit over 3 years ago. Hopefully you can come back and contribute more in that sort of way.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Is that a bad thing?
One lives with the menu offered.

You got data to backup these assumptions, pal? :p

Internet_dog.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That cartoon looks like it should predate the internet but I laughed anyway.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
You got data to backup these assumptions, pal? :p

Thank you, Zamros.  An interesting question which created a bit of research for me.

Hard data of active participants, I will admit, is difficult to come by on a site where almost everyone employs an avatar and username.  As mentioned elsewhere, to me, only Mark Moore is real.

Instead, I went to the site we are not affiliated with.
    Currently, there are 593 fanedit listings.

Edits that might be considered World Cinema:
    Asian = Crouching Dragon: Tiger Lily Cut and Sukaiwaka Fortress - 2
    Latin = 21 Grams Rebalanced, Last Of The Mo'Ricans, Two Exits From Pan’s Labyrinth - 3
    Russian = Solaris Station - 1
    Uncategorical = (fe) la vie - 1

Edits that might be considered African American:
    Azael, Book Of Eli, Hancock Tonight, Liquid Courage, Red Tails Redux - 5

Edits that might be considered Female centered:
    10 Hours in the Life of Renee Walker, Blue Velvet, Burlesque, Carly's Story, Cyborg II: The Bionic Bride, Dollhouse Extinction, Dreamgirls, High Tension, Jack & Jill, Judas Breed, Killer Bride, Killer Bride extended,  Legend of Zelda: Unhooked, Lisbeth Salander, Love Consecution, Mary Jane, Samantha Darko, Silk Spectre, We Are The Night Revamped
    19 female character edits, which was a pleasant surprise.  More than 3%.  There may be more, as well.  When we migrated the board, I helped move listings from the old board to the new, and I noticed a thread along the lines of “Femme Centric” which may have forgotten titles.

My long winded point is, I would prefer to see diversity in participation here.  Not necessarily applauding diversity, but putting it into practice.
    FE needs participation from females and other nationalities.  As well as a wider sphere of edits, a larger platter of choices to tempt them.  Finally, promote diversity into MOD and Admin vacancies.
    The Overlords can correct me if I erred on that last suggestion, and if so, my mistake.

And again, I sincerely hope DangerMouse finds his way back here.
    This ain't exactly a touchy feelie site, but I value differing points of view, even if there are often spirited clashes.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:

It seems like IFDb would have been a perfectly reasonable place to pull the same kind of data from. (World Cinema, African American, female, etc)

Vultural said:
Finally, promote diversity into MOD and Admin vacancies.
    The Overlords can correct me if I erred on that last suggestion, and if so, my mistake.

We can only recruit from the available user pool.  With that said, if you have a good candidate in mind, please do send me a PM.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:

It seems like IFDb would have been a perfectly reasonable place to pull data from.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Finally, promote diversity into MOD and Admin vacancies.

We would love diversity on the staff. More importantly, we would really love trustworthy people on the staff. It is always an incredibly difficult chore to find active people who we can trust and seem to have the temperament for staff duties. We're understaffed. But we'll come to you if we think your up to the task.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
It is always an incredibly difficult chore to find active people who we can trust and seem to have the temperament for staff duties.

Fuck you pal.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
We would love diversity on the staff. More importantly, we would really love trustworthy people on the staff.

At the risk of hearing someone howl from leagues away - PM sent.
Two suggestions, and I did not include myself.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Top Bottom