• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MARS - PHASE ONE & PHASE TWO- A Last Impressions edit

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE 30TH JUNE 2020
It has been a while since i posted in here. I still have plans to edit season 2 but as it is only available on DVD i am waiting for a better source. I could buy the series from Amazon / I Tunes digitally but i haven't found a way to get the files into Vegas and on the timeline....any ideas regarding software that can do this then please contact me.

I've been working on some new artwork for Phase 1 & 2 : The cover is compressed to be able to post in here.

W8sNifF.jpg

2T1T2xK.jpg

The  National Geographic series is a unique hybrid of different storytelling techniques. On one side, it's a drama set in the year 2033 and tells the story of the Daedalus crew, following their epic journey as the first manned mission to the red planet and their attempts to colonise it. And on the other, it's a documentary diving into how we'll get there. 

All of the documentary portions of the series have been edited out. My edit focuses on the fictional story. After all the cuts had been made the film stands at around the 2 hour 57 minute mark. The final file will be in HD and will be around a 10gb MP4. I am also looking to make a bluray once i have figured out how to make menu's etc using Vegas DVD architect.

I am rendering the file at present and am looking to submit to the academy for approval

I hope you enjoy my maiden edit.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't even tell you how excited I am about this! I absolutely loved the series when it first aired, and I found the dramatized parts to be very entertaining. There were points where I thought the dramatization would make for a decent movie. Now that wish has come true!

If you have a workprint for available for viewing, please let me know. I would very much like to view it and give feedback.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also found the series interesting and I'd like to see how your 3hrs edit works. Having seen it only once when it aired, from what iI remember I feel it could be condensed more.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks,

The fictional story has not been condensed. I personally did not feel the need to shorten the length as i did not have a problem with the story, i liked it the way it was. I'll let you know once i have a work print rendered.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks interesting. I can't find the documentary on Amazon. What's the title of the original documentary?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks interesting. I can't find the documentary on Amazon. What's the title of the original documentary?
[/quote]

Mars%20bluray.jpg
DigModiFicaTion said:
This is the bluray cover. 

It is a six part National Geographic series that takes a look at the science and private companies that are currently working towards the colonisation of Mars . The science is interwoven with a fictional story of  the first mission to mars in 2033.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, it was right in front of me. Here's the amazon link for anyone else interested. It's on sale for $13 right now too.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Thanks, it was right in front of me. Here's the amazon link for anyone else interested. It's on sale for $13 right now too.

Thanks for putting the link out there. I encourage everyone who wants a link to purchase a source copy before downloading.

I had problems rendering the MP4 file in Vegas. The video quality was great but the sound was muffled and sounded like it was in a tunnel. I have managed to render the M2V & AC3 files for bluray. I just need to mux the files together tonight when I have finished work and will then try and make an MP4 file in video redo.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

Thanks for putting the link out there. I encourage everyone who wants a link to purchase a source copy before downloading.

I had problems rendering the MP4 file in Vegas. The video quality was great but the sound was muffled and sounded like it was in a tunnel. I have managed to render the M2V & AC3 files for bluray. I just need to mux the files together tonight when I have finished work and will then try and make an MP4 file in video redo.

You can mux the video and audio stream into an MP4 using MeGUI.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Last Impressions said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

You can mux the video and audio stream into an MP4 using MeGUI.

Thank you. The final file comes in at around 32gb for a 2hr 57m movie which i don't have a problem with as I will burn it to a personal 50 gb disc. I am thinking of using BDRebuilder to make a 25gb bluray for the wider audience and also an MP4 for academy approval and also for anyone else whom wants to view it, however the MP4 currently stands at nearly 22gb. Will MeGUI reduce the file size without losing quality and if so can you provide assistance in what settings i should use. I am a newbe to this.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
meGUI can produce a great looking smaller file (this is what I use). There is a bit of a learning curve though, so you may want to check the tech forums for assistance. Alternatively handbrake is pretty simple and can also produce good results.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
meGUI can produce a great looking smaller file (this is what I use). There is a bit of a learning curve though, so you may want to check the tech forums for assistance. Alternatively handbrake is pretty simple and can also produce good results.

ok thanks - i'll give it a whirl

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Be careful with handbrake though. It continuously has produced variable frame rate renders from constant frame rate sources and settings for me.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hated the dramatised sections. After the first episode I skipped through each sequence so I could get to the documentary portion. I was more interested in how we'll get there than what felt like a retread of The Martian.

Would you be interested in doing a seperate docu-edit, as well?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I hated the dramatised sections. After the first episode I skipped through each sequence so I could get to the documentary portion. I was more interested in how we'll get there than what felt like a retread of The Martian.

Would you be interested in doing a seperate docu-edit, as well?

Yes I was thinking of doing the docu-edit as some kind of extra to the bluray disc, however, the transitions may just be fade in and outs with some title cards etc nothing too taxing. I want to get on with my other edits :)

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After watching the workprint last night I noticed a couple of audio transitions that needed working on and these have since been completed.I now have a 9.5gb MP4 rendered. I will test the MP4 on my 55" TV tonight for quality but I am sure for smaller screens it will be fine. I will eventually make a bluray 25gb (movie only)and a 50gb with documentary extras but I am keen to get on with my other edits before I do this.

Last night I got to thinking that in the future I may split the series into episodes and call them phase one and two , both episodes will be 1 hour and 30 minutes long...I may even attempt a condensed the edit to 2hr 15mins - I don't think you could cut much more than 40 minutes without losing the character development.

I will wait for feedback and ideas before I attempt different Mars edits.

Thanks to all those who have been interested.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A Trailer has now been added to the first post. 

I am currently waiting for one of the administrators to contact me regarding my submission of the edit

Thanks to all for your interest.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
I am currently waiting for one of the administrators to contact me regarding my submission of the edit

Just to make sure you aren't waiting for something that won't happen if you're just waiting, have you already sent a PM to DominicCobb?

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Last Impressions said:

Just to make sure you aren't waiting for something that won't happen if you're just waiting, have you already sent a PM to DominicCobb?

Yes - i sent him a PM a couple of days ago but i know these things take time and we all have busy lives outside of Fanedit.org - so i can wait patiently . No rush

Thanks

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, just making sure you didn't think he would be contacting you without notice first.

Top Bottom