• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Vow of Sherlock (Sherlock S3&4)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New thread. This is about my future edit, which is another Sherlock edit. So, for this new Sherlock edit will be focused on Sherlock, John, and Mary's relationship as we dive deep into Mary's old life as an assassin and spy. It will technically combine His Last Vow, third episode of the third season and Six Thatchers, first of the fourth season. So, I am deciding what to do and a title for it. 

Please help.  :p 

Edit: Name decided. The Vow of Sherlock, courtesy of @Zarius.  :) 

So discussions start now.

Edit: This edit is finished and completed! PM me for links as always.

Coupld of title suggestions:

The Vow of Sherlock
The Secret of Mary Watson

Zarius said:
Coupld of title suggestions:

The Vow of Sherlock
The Secret of Mary Watson

I love The Vow of Sherlock!!! Thanks. :)

Well, this ain't so random anymore. Strictly Sherlock. I'll probably start this once I'm done with Magneto as I have way too much on my hands right now, but I just want to get started.

1. For the opening, I think it will go like this:
Opening logo
Samara, Merchant, Death, Sherlock monologue
Title card
CAM and Smallwood opening
Intro
Instead of Afghanistan and Sherlock, it's Sherlock's speech and vow

2. I want to make it intertwined if possible, so while he is fighting CAM somehow his string/montage of cases and the Thatchers bust are happening at somewhat the same time so it won't be like my previous edit. Sherlock killing CAM and Moriarty's Miss Me will be around after the midpoint and near to the ending. Mary escaping, Away confrontation and afterwards Aquarium and end.

3. For the end credits I'm thinking more of a movie feel, so each actor/actress' name will just come up then fade, and so forth. In the background I'm thinking Waltz for John and Mary (Extended) but not so loud.

So, what do you guys think?

The Cam and Smallwood meeting will be interesting to tackle if it's going to be after the credits, as there's a very tricky moment near the end of the scene with Smallwood in the car where the opening theme starts kicking in just before she says ''baker street''. I remember it caused a lot of trouble for me in drafts of my Adventure of CAM edit so much that I ended up just discarding it...luckilly, my edit worked fine without it.

I think you misunderstood. In return, there was a custom opening logo and title card, but now they are separated by Sherlock's monologue. 

So what I meant by intro is the credits.

Anyway, if I tried to do it like what you said, I wouldn't be able to do it. :D

Oh right, sorry, I just saw title card and assumed that was it. I keep forgetting you use the intro also :rolleyes:

So, what do you think about the other things, do you thing it would all fit?

Yeah, I'm curoious over how you're going to stage the montage of the cases during the conflict with Magnusson, and at what point...are you thinking around when he's flicking John's face? :)

What about the deleted scene from His Last Vow with Charles visiting Sherlock in hospital?

I'll probably keep him flicking his face. Annoying, I know, but at the time Sherlock is making a decision. Protect John and Mary and kill someone, or lose John & Mary.

I don't plan to add any deleted scenes though, but if you can help me find it's place in the story and doesn't ruin the pacing, I'll add it in.

Thank @Zarius by the way. You are a great help. ;)

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you remove the face flicking, just wondering if you could place your planned montage around that moment.

I used the deleted scene in my own edit of Last Vow [Adventure of Cam], but what I did was drastically reduce the time Sherlock spends in the mind palace after he is shot by Mary and replaced it with a very basic fade to black which bled into the scene, and from there cut to Sherlock's parents at their home.

I don't know how much of the mind palace sequence you want to keep after he's shot, so I don't know where you'd place it...probably after his operation I guess. If you're not planning on using the scene, that's fine, that works too.

And thanks very much, I'm always eager to help a fellow Sherlockian

To be honest, I really liked the mind oalace sequence. I always like the visual effects and all those  goodies but I see why you would want to remove it.

Maybe adding again Sherlock's speech while he is flicking John?

That sounds alright, maybe it'd be simpler without all the montages required.

Opening:

The rest should be almost the same as the original.

I think fading to black as the shark hovers overhead would be better than the screen lifting upwards, and the music abruptly stops heading into the inquiry.

I like how you interact the production credits though through the initial sequence though, nicely done there

Ah, I guess as a fade would be better. I will fade the music as well.:)

Well, what do you think about Eurus in the bus? Do you think I should keep it or cut her out?

Two reasons why she is even there:
1. Make John even more guilty
2. It is actually Eurus

Do you plan on ultimately tackling Euros' story in a combo edit? You can certainly use her here to set that potentially up, and it does play into a line John has when he and Sherlock track down Mary later ("so many lies"), I was experimenting with a cut of series four and I did edit Euros out just because it was one sub plot too many, and I thought it was best to focus on Mary.

What matters more...a tale for another time, or the more immediate story.

I am thinking of a tale for another time, because in this case a trilogy needs to be fullfilled and you don't kill your character and leave it at that. :D

Also, I want to complete this as a trilogy or a quadrilogy if you include @"ranger613"'s The Fall of Sherlock.

In that case, definitely keep it in. :)

Maybe call the final part ''The Lies of Sherlock'' due to the various deceptions in the last two episodes (Sherlock, John hiding his affair, Mycroft's deception about Euros)

Back
Top Bottom