• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maxresdefault.jpg

With only a few weeks to go, it seems about time this movie had a thread. Hans Zimmer's soundtrack arrived on youtube...

I've been counting down the weeks since seeing the IMAX preview at Christmas (in front of 'Rogue One') and counting down the days 'til the tickets went on sale. Tickets are booked and so is the train ticket needed to get to the nearest ("nearest" in a loose sense) Cinema playing it in the full 15/70mm IMAX glory.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This movie is sure to be a masterpiece. Christopher Nolan is a breath of fresh cinematic air amongst the recycled air conditioners of late.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can not wait for this.  Already have my IMAX tickets... A Nolan film is a special event and this looks no exception.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I congratulate Mr. Nolan on finally finding an appropriate setting to accommodate his near-complete disinterest in characters that aren't white men. :p

... I mean, I, too look forward to this one. But the minute one of the protagonists starts monologuing about how his dear wife perished in the Blitz, I may just throw popcorn at the screen.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I congratulate Mr. Nolan on finally finding an appropriate setting to accommodate his near-complete disinterest in characters that aren't white men. :p

... I mean, I, too look forward to this one. But the minute one of the protagonists starts monologuing about how his dear wife perished in the Blitz, I may just throw popcorn at the screen.

That's kind of his thing. He's said that he makes movies that examine his fears. His biggest fear is losing his wife and children. As a husband and parent, this is one of the reasons I love his movies. I'll make sure to not sit in front of you as too not receive the stray popcorn ;)
The last movie I went to (Cars 3 w/ my boys) I had half a bucket of popcorn spilled on me from above. Perhaps they were mad at the plot of the trailers  :D

SkywalkerFan01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So damn excited for this flick. Thankfully I live near enough to a theater showing 70mm that I won't be missing out on that format. 
The story of Dunkirk is one that doesn't seem to get much attention and hopefully this movie will change that. Glad to see Nolan doing what he does best, portraying things on an epic scale and this story is the perfect vehicle for it. 
Another thing worth noting is that this is a very short film by Nolan standards, clocks in just under 2 hours (with credits). Nolan explained that he had decided from the beginning to make a faster paced film with the objective of keeping ones emotions running high and not stop till the credits roll. Very excited to see in a few months what got cut from the film to keep in line with that.

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SkywalkerFan01 said:
Another thing worth noting is that this is a very short film by Nolan standards, clocks in just under 2 hours (with credits). 
I actually had a physical intake of breath at this. I saw the intro (or sample?) he showed before some films in IMAX and just assumed it was big in scope, and big in runtime. Really looking forward to it, but still don't know how to feel about that runtime. In Nolan we trust...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's worth noting that 1 hour and 46 minutes is not a short movie, it's probably a quarter hour longer than most.

From Nolan's comments I think he is intending to keep the movie at a "Saving Private Ryan Opening" level of intensity throughout and has judged that that is not sustainable for anything longer.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When this comes out on BR/DVD are we finally going to do the WWII Consecution? Where is that thread? 

I am definitely a fan of Nolan's work although I also agree (with Half-in-the-Bag) that his movies are big and lumbering, but emotionally effective pieces. They often have plot holes but you don't usually notice them right away, but they are bit larger than just nitpicking issues. He definitely has many films that are great and that no-one else would have been able to or wanting to make in Hollywood with a large-budget.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is getting some seriously good reviews. I may have to check this out in the theater. I'm always intrigued by Nolan films, but I never like them as much as I want to. I would say his movies are generally a mild letdown for me. Here's hoping this one bucks that trend.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I might go catch a matinee of this in the coming weeks while my family naps....yeah, that's about the only time besides a late night show that I can get to the theater without spending $50+ due to babysitter fees.

If this is the intensity of Omaha beach throughout TM2YC has said, I'm glad it isn't over 2 hours.

SkywalkerFan01

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In what format are you guys seeing it in? I'm trying to decide what format to watch it in. My plan is to see it it in normal 70mm (no IMAX 70mm screenings near me unfortunately). So my questions is this: Normal 70mm vs Normal IMAX vs Dolby Cinema?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dunkirk-formatguide.jpg

1 : 1 (opening sequence)
1.43 : 1 (most scenes: IMAX 70mm venues)
1.90 : 1 (80 minutes: IMAX digital venues)
2.20 : 1 (DCP ratio: Based in flat)
2.35 : 1 (35 mm prints)

I'm planning on waiting to see it IMAX 70mm... in an agonising 11 days time :D . Then I'll watch the vanilla Digital scope release for comparison.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
This is getting some seriously good reviews. I may have to check this out in the theater. I'm always intrigued by Nolan films, but I never like them as much as I want to. I would say his movies are generally a mild letdown for me. Here's hoping this one bucks that trend.

The reviews have come down to earth a bit. It currently has the same rating as Wonder Woman on RT. The negative reviews all seem to center on the film not developing characters well and/or that the film has no emotional core. These tend to be my complaints about Nolan films, along with his penchant for his little twists. I'm still going to try to see it in 70mm IMAX. We have a screen showing it about 15 minutes away.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
skyled said:
 Maybe he should switch to making nature documentaries.

I can see it now, in the last five minutes all logic the film has set up is thrown out to reveal that the trees are actually evil oil companies in disguise. But we don't care because we never really got to know the trees in the first place.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No emotional core? Poorly developed characters? What Nolan movies are you watching? I've rarely if ever not had an emotional response to Nolan movies and his characters.

Anyone else think it's funny how we've returned to the square image? Looks like our vintage crt tube tv's can be put back to use  :rolleyes:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
No emotional core? Poorly developed characters? What Nolan movies are you watching? I've rarely if ever not had an emotional response to Nolan movies and his characters.

Anyone else think it's funny how we've returned to the square image? Looks like our vintage crt tube tv's can be put back to use  :rolleyes:

Really? Which characters did you feel emotionally connected to? His movies, for me, are well made, intriguing, and a fun ride. But they rarely have any sort of emotional punch. I don't think it's any coincidence that the most lauded performance in his movies is a character with (intentionally) no backstory that we only relate to through visceral fear. Even that movie (The Dark Knight) was overwrought and conpletely collapses on its  own logic in the end. I like Nolan movies, but I don't think he's the genius "auteur" many make him out to be.

But I haven't seen Dunkirk yet and I don't want to be negative in this thread. I merely commented that the dissenting reviews seem to focus around the issues I've traditionally had with Nolan films.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for sharing that review Plissken1138
This quote sums up what I feel Nolan's goal in cinema is. Yes to entertain, but most of all to inspire us to analyze our motives.

Ken Sturdy said:
“Don’t just go to the movie for entertainment. Think about it. And when you become adults, keep thinking, “ Sturdy advised.

@"Moe_Syzlak" for the sake of not going too off topic see the spoiler.
As a parent, these tore my heart out. Interstellar is one of the the most powerful emotional stories for me.

Top Bottom