If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan)
I might go catch a matinee of this in the coming weeks while my family naps....yeah, that's about the only time besides a late night show that I can get to the theater without spending $50+ due to babysitter fees.

If this is the intensity of Omaha beach throughout TM2YC has said, I'm glad it isn't over 2 hours.
In what format are you guys seeing it in? I'm trying to decide what format to watch it in. My plan is to see it it in normal 70mm (no IMAX 70mm screenings near me unfortunately). So my questions is this: Normal 70mm vs Normal IMAX vs Dolby Cinema?
[Image: dunkirk-formatguide.jpg]

Quote:1 : 1 (opening sequence)
1.43 : 1 (most scenes: IMAX 70mm venues)
1.90 : 1 (80 minutes: IMAX digital venues)
2.20 : 1 (DCP ratio: Based in flat)
2.35 : 1 (35 mm prints)

I'm planning on waiting to see it IMAX 70mm... in an agonising 11 days time Big Grin . Then I'll watch the vanilla Digital scope release for comparison.
(07-18-2017, 03:26 PM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: This is getting some seriously good reviews. I may have to check this out in the theater. I'm always intrigued by Nolan films, but I never like them as much as I want to. I would say his movies are generally a mild letdown for me. Here's hoping this one bucks that trend.

The reviews have come down to earth a bit. It currently has the same rating as Wonder Woman on RT. The negative reviews all seem to center on the film not developing characters well and/or that the film has no emotional core. These tend to be my complaints about Nolan films, along with his penchant for his little twists. I'm still going to try to see it in 70mm IMAX. We have a screen showing it about 15 minutes away.
I liked the Rex Reed review in the Observer. It sounds like typical Nolan to me: poor characters and very cold, along with dialogue you can't understand because of the music blaring over the top of it. Maybe he should switch to making nature documentaries.

http://observer.com/2017/07/dunkirk-revi...her-nolan/
(07-22-2017, 01:07 PM)skyled Wrote:  Maybe he should switch to making nature documentaries.

I can see it now, in the last five minutes all logic the film has set up is thrown out to reveal that the trees are actually evil oil companies in disguise. But we don't care because we never really got to know the trees in the first place.
No emotional core? Poorly developed characters? What Nolan movies are you watching? I've rarely if ever not had an emotional response to Nolan movies and his characters.

Anyone else think it's funny how we've returned to the square image? Looks like our vintage crt tube tv's can be put back to use  Rolleyes
Calgary veteran who survived Dunkirk causes a stir at movie premiere

Quote:It didn’t have a lot of dialogue.
It didn’t need any of the dialogue
because it told the story visually
and it was so real.
  Completed      ITW
(07-23-2017, 12:37 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: No emotional core? Poorly developed characters? What Nolan movies are you watching? I've rarely if ever not had an emotional response to Nolan movies and his characters.

Anyone else think it's funny how we've returned to the square image? Looks like our vintage crt tube tv's can be put back to use  Rolleyes

Really? Which characters did you feel emotionally connected to? His movies, for me, are well made, intriguing, and a fun ride. But they rarely have any sort of emotional punch. I don't think it's any coincidence that the most lauded performance in his movies is a character with (intentionally) no backstory that we only relate to through visceral fear. Even that movie (The Dark Knight) was overwrought and conpletely collapses on its  own logic in the end. I like Nolan movies, but I don't think he's the genius "auteur" many make him out to be.

But I haven't seen Dunkirk yet and I don't want to be negative in this thread. I merely commented that the dissenting reviews seem to focus around the issues I've traditionally had with Nolan films.
Thank you for sharing that review Plissken1138
This quote sums up what I feel Nolan's goal in cinema is. Yes to entertain, but most of all to inspire us to analyze our motives.

Ken Sturdy Wrote:“Don’t just go to the movie for entertainment. Think about it. And when you become adults, keep thinking, “ Sturdy advised.

Moe_Syzlak for the sake of not going too off topic see the spoiler.

As a parent, these tore my heart out. Interstellar is one of the the most powerful emotional stories for me.