• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Image Hosting

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all,

Welll photobucket has decided to not allow for 3rd party hosting anymore, so I'm jumping ship. Just wondering what free services all of you use in hopes of finding a reliable source to house all my project photos. Thanks!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is Tinypic, which I used before loading onto Photobucket.
Tinypic is owned by Photobucket, however, so 3rd party support may end soon.

another thought

I have seen recommendations for Flickr.
Personally, I have two Flickr accounts, but I am aware Flickr is owned by Yahoo.
And Yahoo was recently acquired by Verizon.
I would be leery of shifting your image bank there.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Vultural. This is my dilemma. I'm not sure where to go now. I thought maybe I could use my Google drive, but you can't directly link to a file. I may end up using my WordPress. I've been able to do 3rd party hosting through them.

I'll most likely remove my photos from photobucket and closing my account.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mickey and Cat one at the top of the page?

I can see it.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep. Interesting. Thanks! :)

I wonder if they will stay that way or not, wouldn't mind going to another image site though if it comes to it, photobucket is brutal with the ads, and slow as a turtle.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Yep. Interesting.
Seems like this only effects free accounts.

Rogue-theX said:
photobucket is brutal with the ads, and slow as a turtle.

It seems like the turtle doesn't win this race either....

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:

Is yours a free account? Mine is.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that is interesting. It's probably because you're more amazing than I am ;)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder if it could be how I link to my images, I always upload the image, view it, click on the zoom icon to view full size, drag the full size image into a new window and link to that.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Additionally, my bus driver used to be fond of the expression "if your on this bus, your NOTHIN'!"

"if your on this forum you're amazing" just my opinion. I love yous guys, wish I could show it better.

end of thing.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Just wondering what free services all of you use in hopes of finding a reliable source to house all my project photos.

Some really good image-hosts have come and gone in the last year or so; therefore, I've had to switch from one to another a fair bit, but at present I favor Postimage.  It accepts multiple images and gives code in various formats, so posting images in different places is relatively hassle free (and that can't be said for all of them).  Like you, I want a reliable one, so I hope that its emphasis on permanent links doesn't turn out to be misplaced.  :-/ :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModFicaTion, I downloaded a full album from PB.
I kept files there, rather than close it, in case they change their minds.
Doubtful, in my opinion, especially after Dropbox went that route earlier this year.
I used PostImage for awhile, until they warned of closing due to servers costs.

You cannot link via Google Photos, I tried several workarounds.
Unsure about Google Drive, which I recall trying before and failing.
I used pCloud several times, but they used a dynamic URL for downloads so that was a fail.

And Rogue, I think you are the escapee in their purge.
Run silent and good luck.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I tried linking to my files that I've uploaded to wordpress and it worked flawlessly. Just had to do the right click and select  "open image in new tab" to get the url and then copy it up to the .png or other file format. It's only 3gigs of space, but it will keep my files in one location for now. I'll be checking out some of the options you all have shared.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help, on well everything :)
Now if only you could help me to know about which job to take :D

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:

That's incorrect. It also affects all of their paid accounts except for their $399 a year package.

PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images - gHacks

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet - PC Mag

Rogue-theX said:
I wonder if it could be how I link to my images, I always upload the image, view it, click on the zoom icon to view full size, drag the full size image into a new window and link to that.

That's probably the reason, but I suspect that they might close that "loophole" soon as well.

As for what image host would be most advisable to use now, I'm not sure. I believe that Flickr requires that all photos on their site that are embedded on other sites be clickable, with the link leading to the photo's Flickr page. Plus, now that the company owning Flickr is being bought out, the site's future is uncertain.

Imgur seems to work pretty well for the time being, but again, there's no knowing how long the site will stay stable.

Something that I have ocassionally done recently is to upload a picture to Imgur, submit the successfully uploaded photo's Imgur page to the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, then embed or link to the Wayback Machine's archived version of the photo on whichever website that I wish to share it on. This should keep the link alive for as long as the Wayback Machine's archive stays intact. Even deleting the photo from Imgur still leaves the Wayback Machine's version of the link fully working. The same method can be used not just with Imgur, but also with Wordpress and many other hosts. Here's an example of an image archived on the Wayback Machine using this method:

QyySS6e.jpg

As you can see, it embeds perfectly, and would still stay online even if the original Imgur link went down.

What do all of you think of this method? Do you think that it's something that would be good to use on a regular basis, rather than merely occasionally? Would it be safer in the long run than depending on an image host itself?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Could you not just upload the image to the images section of the archive instead of using the way back machine? Isn't that site already effectively an image hosting site? Or does the rules of archive.org get in the way of posting 'shopped cover art and stuff like that, and that's why you'd want to use the way back machine instead?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
^ Could you not just upload the image to the images section of the archive instead of using the way back machine? Isn't that site already effectively an image hosting site? Or does the rules of archive.org get in the way of posting 'shopped cover art and stuff like that, and that's why you'd want to use the way back machine instead?

The regular Archive.org website is mostly dedicated to preserving public domain media that has some sort of merit on its own (photographs, books, movies, etc). It's sort of like an online library. It's not an ideal place to store regular day-to-day photos of the type usually posted here and at other forums.

The Wayback Machine, on the other hand, has a stated goal to preserve as much as possible of the Internet (no matter how trivial) for posterity. It automatically roves the Internet, preserving as much as it can on its own, but also lets individuals add to its archives.

Metaphorically speaking, the main Archive.org site is like a carefully curated library, whereas the Wayback Machine is a sort of obsessive collecting robot that wants to keep whatever it can get its digital hands on.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
google photos has been working pretty well for me; been using it for a couple years. and yes, you can share links for your images and embed them in forums like... well, this place.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj, do you upload them to your Google+?

Top Bottom