If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Free Editing Software

So after DECADES of being a MAC user, I have thrown in a towel and bought a PC.

And I am sort of itching to try some fan editing again.  But as of this moment, by budget is broken LOL.

So looking at different free video editors (unless Humble Bundle offers something lol) and just thought I would get input from anyone who has or is using any freeware, and which ones work best for our style of movie fan editing.

I would definitely prefer to edit in and export MP4s and work in HD on some projects.

The Top Three that seem to keep coming up are

--DaVinci Resolve
--HitFilm Express
--Lightworks

Though I have read many good reviews for Olive and Shotcut too.

Any and all thoughts, reviews and/or suggestions, are appreciated.   Big Grin
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
(06-23-2020, 10:44 AM)bionicbob Wrote: Any and all thoughts, reviews and/or suggestions, are appreciated.   Big Grin

Lightworks is fab. I started using it in May and it's pretty quick to pick up with plenty of free online tutorials. It exports to MP4 at 720 for free but you can pay to use the HD export features among other things. As a novice I cannot speak to how it compares to other NLE's but it certainly does what I need at the moment.
[+] 1 user Likes Malthus's post
(06-23-2020, 10:44 AM)bionicbob Wrote: (unless Humble Bundle offers something lol)

Bob, I have two versions of Vegas I bought on Humble Bundle, one from 2017 and one from 2018. I have "claimed" the purchases but haven't used them, I think I can request that they change one to unclaimed so I can gift it to you. If you're interested let me know and I'll contact their support people. I intended to edit more on PC but have been mostly editing on Mac, kinda the opposite situation. Want to save one for when I do eventually get a new PC, but that means I have an extra copy.

You've helped me so much I would love to be able to help you out too.

If Bob's not interested, sorry folks but this is not an open offer.

Edit: Successfully gifted. Enjoy!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
[+] 5 users Like addiesin's post
addiesin you are far too generious.  I honestly do not know what to say... WOW! 

I was originally planning on buying Sony Vegas, so I made sure the Dell I ordered met all the specs.  Unfortunately I exhausted my budget at this time on Real World stuff lol.  

DaVinci Resolve looks cool.  Especially for Colour Correction.   Though looking at their specs, even for the free version, I am not sure my Dell is powerful enough for the Fusion FX option?

Lightworks... I was strongly leaning towards this one.  It seems very similar to Final Cut and traditional NLEs.  The only drawback I can see as Malthus pointed out is the limited export option.  But since I will be learning from scratch both how to use a PC and a new NLE, I will probably just start with some SD projects anyways.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 2 users Like bionicbob's post
(06-23-2020, 06:32 PM)bionicbob Wrote: addiesin you are far too generious.  I honestly do not know what to say... WOW! 

I'd recommend taking him up on his offer. It's always good to have multiple programs so that you can try them out to see what works best for you. Sometimes, one might be better than another for a particular project. And Vegas is definitely one of the best options.

Quote:I was originally planning on buying Sony Vegas, so I made sure the Dell I ordered met all the specs.  Unfortunately I exhausted my budget at this time on Real World stuff lol.  

DaVinci Resolve looks cool. Especially for Colour Correction. Though looking at their specs, even for the free version, I am not sure my Dell is powerful enough for the Fusion FX option?

What are your new computer's specs?

I haven't used Resolve much yet, but from all that I've heard, it's extremely capable (even in its free version, which is what I have). The catch is that some computers aren't powerful enough to run it very well.

Quote:Lightworks... I was strongly leaning towards this one.  It seems very similar to Final Cut and traditional NLEs.  The only drawback I can see as Malthus pointed out is the limited export option.  But since I will be learning from scratch both how to use a PC and a new NLE, I will probably just start with some SD projects anyways.

I tried Lightworks a little years ago, but found it confusing and gave up on it. It might have gotten more user-friendly since then (or maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance), but the limited output options have put me off of it. That wouldn't matter for SD projects, though.
Courage, men! we've not sunk before, and we'll not sink now!
[+] 2 users Like hbenthow's post
(07-06-2020, 12:10 AM)hbenthow Wrote: I'd recommend taking him up on his offer. It's always good to have multiple programs so that you can try them out to see what works best for you. Sometimes, one might be better than another for a particular project. And Vegas is definitely one of the best options.

Exactly my thoughts, but already taken care of. Bob and I took the discussion to PM and he has successfully acquired Vegas.
// IdeasIdea Central //
[+] 2 users Like addiesin's post