• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Breaking News: Terry Gilliam's editing room burns to ground. All footage lost.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First trailer proves that the film was filmed.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, hey... Watch me tempt fate:

Nothing could possibly go wrong now, right? 

In all serious though, so glad this has finally been made. Looking forward to it!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No joke. The moment I posted that post about tempting fate, someone informed me that "people" are apparently trying to boycott the film and prevent it from being released.

What the actual flippadoo.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That type of shenanigans is precisely why I hate "people".

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've said it once, and I'll say it again:

wd8UydF.gif

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
People can boycott if they want; nobody is making the go to a showing. But what are they upset about?

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Curse Continues: We May Never See Terry Gilliam’s DON QUIXOTE

Jump back in time to 2016: Gilliam and producer Paulo Branco reached an agreement regarding The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. In that contract, Branco was to provide the necessary funding for production - with Gilliam retaining final cut on the film - in exchange for the rights.

However, Branco balked on financing Don Quixote, causing Gilliam to seek funding elsewhere. Production actually went off without a hitch - with Gilliam reportedly being very happy with the finished product - and it seemed like Branco was out of the scene forever. 

Unfortunately for Gilliam, Branco's come out of hiding, with a claim that Don Quixote is not to be released without his express permission, since he technically owns the rights based on that 2016 contract. Gilliam believes that the document was null and void due to Branco, you know, never coming up with the money. Yet the litigation still needs to be heard in court before the picture can even grace the festival circuit. 

Now, the case is going before a judge - with Gilliam suing Branco for full rights to The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - but the judgment won’t be handed down until June 15th. This means that the possible premiere at Cannes is totally f**ked. At the earliest, Gilliam wouldn't be able to plan a release until mid-Summer, and that's if the court even rules in his favor. 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The universe knew Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce were much better casting choices and so decided to punish Gilliam for his Depp/Rochefort based hubris.

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
 But what are they upset about?

he dared make a comment about weinstein victims that is not absolutely and solely just about them being victims, and PC SJWs are not too happy about it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plissken1138 said:
asterixsmeagol said:

he dared make a comment about weinstein victims that is not absolutely and solely just about them being victims, and PC SJWs are not too happy about it.

I love that people use term like politically correct and social justice warriors derisively.  What exactly is wrong with wanting social justice? Do I disagree with some of the stances? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I’m not for social justice. Reminds me of my step-father that likes to derisively call people who recycle “do-gooders.”

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Plissken1138 said:
asterixsmeagol said:

I love that people use term like politically correct and social justice warriors derisively.  What exactly is wrong with wanting social justice? Do I disagree with some of the stances? Yes. But that doesn’t mean I’m not for social justice. Reminds me of my step-father that likes to derisively call people who recycle “do-gooders.”

Social Justice is an admirable goal but the term "Social Justice Warrior" is derisive because it's meant to be applied to people who are over reacting and getting offended when it's not warranted.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Plissken1138 said:
asterixsmeagol said:

Social Justice is an admirable goal but the term "Social Justice Warrior" is derisive because it's meant to be applied to people who are over reacting and getting offended when it's not warranted.

So are the people overreacting to the overreacting also SJWs? Meta.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Get back to discussing this movie immediately, or this thread is getting locked (and maybe some warnings given). If you want to call people things like "SJW", or "PC" (or other idiotic terms) go do it in some dark corner of web, or on an anti-social network, not on fe.org.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Get back to discussing this movie immediately, or this thread is getting locked (and maybe some warnings given). If you want to call people things like "SJW", or "PC" (or other idiotic terms) go do it in some dark corner of web, or on an anti-social network, not on fe.org.

You mean this thread is about to be closed and I had nothing to do with it? That's unusual.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

You mean this thread is about to be closed and I had nothing to do with it? That's unusual.

hskXrBC.jpg

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
wilhelm scream said:
TM2YC said:

hskXrBC.jpg

It did and I don't understand what sounds so bad about it.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So........ I guess this would be as good a time as any for me to finally watch "Lost in La Mancha".

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been meaning to read Cervantes novel, Don Quixote, for ages. Still sitting on my shelf, along with countless other classics. I'll get there eventually...

Top Bottom