• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Dark Knight (2008) is a masterpiece!

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Dark Knight (2008) is a masterpiece!

According to the Internet Movie Database, The Dark Knight (2008) has a rating of 9.1, which makes it the 4th best movie of all time, beating such classics as Goodfellas, The Empire Strikes Back, Psycho, North By Northwest, The Matrix, Seven Samurai, Paths of Glory, Rashômon, Alien and Life Of Brian.

There has been a sort of back lash, as some who enjoyed the film yet feel it's rating is out of all proportion, have been rating it low in a vain attempt to restore some balance or perspective.

I suppose it says more about the infiltration of IMDb by the studios because more and more perfect ratings and glowing reviews are posted before a film is released to the public.

I have yet to see The Dark Knight but I find it hard to believe that it can be better than Monty Python and The Holy Grail. I could be wrong......

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks T-Hope, I am having a read now.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i think this is indeed an overrating. It was good, but it was nowhere near THAT good.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You see this is why I tend to avoid these sort of Polls. The same thing happened with Lord of the Rings, soon after it's release they did a public poll & low & behold it's the greatest movie of all time. :lol:

I loved TDK & I do think it's bridges the gap between Super hero movies & (for want of a better word) Serious movies like Goodfellas & North By Northwest, but I think calling it a Masterpiece is a bit difficult.

This is because it depends on how you're using the word. I mean if someone said it's a Masterpiece of it's genre I would find it difficult to disagree, but if someone said it's a Masterpiece comparable to The Godfather then I think someone is probably getting a little carried away with themselves.

Give it 10 years & if people are still raving over it then maybe it is a Masterpiece. But, I think it's probably best to wait for the hype to die down (when people are thinking a little bit more clearly) before these sort of judgements can be made.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very well stated FatherMerrin. Yes compared to other superhero movies (which I find most to be utter crap popcorn flicks) this is indeed a masterpiece of the genre. But this movie was far from perfect. Rating it one of the best films of all time to me is just silly. Lets see what the test of time proves.

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
greatest movie of all time...

I dont like casablanca, not a fan of gone with the wind, I didnt enjoy the godfather And I loved beverly hills chuhawa(spelling) It all boils down to peoples tastes...

just because you guys might not find it the greatest movie of all time doesnt mean you are right, whatever rateing system you guys might put on it (acting, effects, story, etc) it doesnt matter when the average voter would watch the movie simply based on how much they enjoyed it

and remember, you are you and cant speak for how everyone else will see the movie

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ilubu, you're right in saying that it comes down to personal preference & me saying it isn't a Masterpiece doesn't mean I'm any more right or wrong than someone who say it is a Masterpiece.

BUT

I still stand by my comparison with Lord of the Rings. There was the same hype & excitement about those films & few months after their release they were Number 1 at IMDb. But, a few years later & not one of them is in the Top 10. This doesn't mean the same will happen with TDK, I'm just saying that sometimes these poll results don't give an accurate picture of how good a film actually is.

Hargiwald

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't feel enough for certain characters, especially the dark knight himself. And when Rachael died I didn't really care either. Hopefully the DVD contains some character-developing scenes that were removed from the theatrical release, in that case I might consider making a firstling edit or just an extended edition. I did like it, but it could do with improvement. The ending speech is a bit hammy too, maybe something could be done there. And if there is some R-rated material that could make the Joker a bit more scary, I'd love that. Ledger did a good job, but in a film supposedly this dark I think the Joker should have been more menacing for the viewer.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with you for the most part Hargiwald. The film could have used some more character development. I was also disappointed with the whole two-face bit. Was way too fast for me. I do think that just an extended edition wont work for me. There was some over the top action that imho was unnecessary. Particularly that bit where he turned the bat-bike around on the wall. *sigh*

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
don't you demand too much, throw? TDK is based on comic book.....not on real events....;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
voodl said:
don't you demand too much, throw? TDK is based on comic book.....not on real events....;)

hahaha, demand too much??? never!!! :smile: and the thing about Nolan's Batmans is that they were a more realistic view of the series. So, imho, the whole thing should be dark and realistic.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I must admit that I dont like "sonar" thing and bat-bike .....but overall TDK is great movie!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh yes, I completely forgot about the sonar thing. I remember thinking "WOW this is way over the top", but I dont see a way to edit that without destroying the plot. We'll see. I think TDK was entertaining, and could be quite awesome with the right fanedit.

Hargiwald

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Agree both about sonar and the bike thing. What bugs me the most is that both could easily have been just not there. Why not just turn the bike around in a way that doesn't defy all laws of physics and look completely animated, and why the sonar? If I ever were to edit TDK I would really look hard for a way to get the sonar out, but it seems really hard from what I remember. And I also agree about Two-Face. I know it would be copping out to have him be alive in a third movie, if they make one, but I can't help thinking that if they actually take his story somewhere it might be worth it. I would have preferred it if they had either fleshed out his part a lot or left it unresolved for a third movie.

JMB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one who was let down by DK. Everyone was going nuts there for awhile, banging on about it being the greatest movie of all time. I felt rather strange about this reaction, as I was definitely disappointed when I left the theater. Don't get me wrong: like Batman Begins, there were some truly brilliant moments (the Skyhook scene comes to mind). And of course, Heath was magnificent, but it was overall pretty unsatisfying and I found myself shifting in my seat towards the end. I feel a bit of an ingrate complaining at all about Nolan's Batman though, because for all of the problems, they are certainly affording the characters more dignity and respect than any of the previous versions. That said, they have made some puzzling choices. That is why I tackled BB as a fanedit in the first place. Most of it was utterly fantastic, yet there were a few moments where I just went, "Huh?". DK seemed to have the same ratio of "Great" to "Huh?" moments- they expanded the scope of the action and plot, but also increased the implausibilty factor as well.

Oh yes, I already have ideas for editing this one.

Faustus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jokersmailbag, I started working on a Batman Begins edit too, before my exile from here, about a year ago. I've got it all in very rough cut somewhere, as well, along with all my notes.
I enjoyed The Dark Knight, but I think there was a lot of hype and expectation. Too many people going to see because 'it was the film that sent Heath Ledger over the edge' and all that crap. Batman doesn't really do or say much in the film. It seems like this film is going a bit like Burton's, where the villains are more interesting characters than Batman. I suppose Batman's story was basically told in Batman Begins, so anything now is either more of the same or requires some drastic change. Hopefully the third film, if it happens and if it follows on from TDK, will have a very different Batman, pursued by everyone yet still willing to protect those who chase him.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved both films but enjoyed begins more. the main reason was the music. I thought the score of begins was superior to TDK despite them being similar.

I also feel strongly that Wall-E deserves the best picture of the year. not TDK.

stamper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought it was way too long, and could accomodate a fan edit where Batman is the center of the movie, not some extra second hand to the cast. You can cut whole chunks and scene without hurting the main storyline.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well after that little incident we had with the MPAA there is no way I'm going to see it in the cinema. Either way, I still want to see it. :)

Top Bottom