• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

beware—makemkv as probable source of crashes

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for some reason, pavtube didn't recognize a german blu-ray that i purchased for a fanediting project. so i used the mac version of makemkv to turn the .mt file into an mkv, after which i could convert it into a prores .mov file.

a couple weeks later, the crashes started happening.

initially, the crashes seemed to happen when i used final cut pro. then the crashes started happening whenever, sometimes after hours of computer use, sometimes as the mac was trying to start up. it would crash fucking 20 times a day, if i tried that often to restart.

tried all sorts of maneuvers to make the crashes go away: updated the system, updated FCP (which i thought was the source), ran disk repair, loaded up the computer in recovery mode, even reinstalled the OS, zapped the NVRAM, deleted all sorts of preferences. . . and the crashes kept happening. apple support tried their best with the usual recommendations, but none of those helped.

finally i remembered that i installed makemkv before the crashes started. deleted makemkv. crashes didn't go away.

then i dug deeper into the mac os library, where i found a few remnant files associated with makemkv, mostly preference files. once i trashed those, the crashes have gone away. . . so far. (after all those crashes, i've been conditioned to expect groan-inducing crashes whenever. i lived in fear, haha.) i can finally use FCP again.

so mac users, beware of makemkv. did makemkv fuck with my finder preferences, so that even when not using makemkv, my finder got confused and developed kernel panics? not sure, given the zillions of possibilities, but seems possible.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YIKES! I have been having trouble with my MakeMKV program lately. I've been using MovieRescuer and had good results.

Top Bottom