• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

External Hard Drive? (Mac)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like I need a new external hard drive. I've liked HD and Seagate in the past, but figured this would be a good place to ask for recommendations.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have used and still use WD, as well as Seagate.
Like 'em until they die.
I have been hard on mine, using for torrenting and emuling.
Now I simply use them for storage and keep them unplugged most of the time.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use mine for my media library. I have a massive amount of music. It's  almost a year of continuous play. I'll probably go WD again if no one has any other suggestions.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been using WD for backup (duplicate and triplicate) for years now without trouble...except for the one I dropped.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm in the market for a second backup drive. was going to buy a seagate, because amazon is littered with seagate options, but then I came across these numbers:

FY-2016-Failure-Rates-by-MFG.jpg

FY-2016-Drive-Failure-Rates.jpg

hadn't heard of HGST, but that's apparently a partnership between hitachi and western digital. now I'm considering forking over a few extra shekels for HGST.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I checked the link.
Is it my inept math, or do the larger drives have a better fail rate?
8 TB is overkill for me.
Even 1 TB, I never fill.
My problem is them overheating when I run 'em hard.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's often better to buy a good internal SATA drive and place it in a good external USB enclosure than to buy a ready-made external drive (not only quality-wise, but sometimes even in terms of price as well). Also, keep in mind that the hard drive failure rates that ssj posted are all for internal SATA drives.

It's also a good idea to back up everything.

Currently, I have two internal SATA drives inside my computer itself. One is the main C drive (a 1 TB WD Black), and another is a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda that I designated drive F. I use drive F to store my media files, documents, and virtually everything else important.

I have a 1 TB WD SATA drive designed drive R in an external USB 3.0 enclosure, which I use to store system image backups of my C drive that I make using the free version of Macrium Reflect.

I also have an external USB 3.0 drive containing a 2 TB Seagate Barracuda (designated drive Z), which I use to back up everything on drive F (using FreeFileSync).

This way, if my system drive fails, I have system image backups of it on drive R, which I can use to turn any replacement drive into a clone of my old one, operating system and all. If drive F fails, I have everything on it backed up on drive Z (or at least everything from before I last ran FreeFileSync).

Top Bottom