• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Trek (2009)

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
StarTrek11Teaser.jpg

Star Trek (2009)

I am a fan of the original series starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelley. I never saw or followed the tidal wave of other series that traded on the popularity of the original. I did see and own the original cast Movies.

Now a new Star Trek film is in construction.

I have heard that Leonard Nimoy is a part of the production and William Shatner has publicly voiced his disappointment at not being approached to be involved in any way.

One thing I feel to be true is that William Shatner's magnetic performance held the TV Shows together and while the casting of the new Star Trek film looks careful, the casting of Chris Pine as Jim Kirk looks dubious.

Yes, I know it is too early to tell and I am judging by appearance and intuition but Shatner's confidence in his own acting ability and boundless charisma will be a hard thing to compete with.

Some Links -

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

robbievaliant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a Trekkie who followed TOS, TNG, and the Shatnerverse novels, I'm looking forwards to this. Very much. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm cautiously optimistic, as it's [spoiler:vzehft4n]a time travel story[/spoiler:vzehft4n]- one of my favorite sci-fi plots- and it draws on [spoiler:vzehft4n]the Guardian of Forever![/spoiler:vzehft4n]

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i've got some serious reservations about it.... not expecting too much...
especially when the first thing they show in the teaser trailer is totally
retarded..... they didn't build starships on earth... lol they build them
in orbital facilities... in pretty much every single series.... gave me a
pretty bad vibe about it.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The thing that I feel this new version will have the hardest time with... is the chemistry between the three principles, Kirk, Spock and Bones.

In the original series a wonderful chemistry was in abundance and I think it was luck that these actors fired off each other so.

How can that special and almost random quality be brought to this new version?

As a side note, Shatner has again created a memorable character in Denny Crane and has a remarkable chemistry with James Spader in Boston Legal.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope and pray that this does work. And yes, Shatner is awesome in Boston Legal.

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lewis886 said:
i've got some serious reservations about it.... not expecting too much...
especially when the first thing they show in the teaser trailer is totally
retarded..... they didn't build starships on earth... lol they build them
in orbital facilities... in pretty much every single series.... gave me a
pretty bad vibe about it.

Don't take that as fact. The first T2 teaser showed an Endoskeleton assembly line but we didn't see that in the final film. And how many times have scenes shown up in teasers that were different takes or omitted completely from the final film?

Wait until we see some real footage from the film...teasers, and to a lesser extent trailers, don't fully count.

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... i hope you're right....
still gave me a bad vibe.... when the very first teaser they give is of something that's completely counter to the whole history of the star trek universe.... to me that doesn't bode well.....

plus abrams' relative inexperience with directing.... yeah the guy has produced a bunch.... but all he's directed is one movie and 11 episodes of various tv shows..... plus he wrote armageddon, and that's definitely a mark against him ;) haha

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the new trailer has me rather excited.
[youtube:3tgozzj1]
I recommend watch it in HD if you have the means

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
the new trailer has me rather excited.
[youtube:1pbfsf9k]
I recommend watch it in HD if you have the means

yeh saw that last week on firstshowing.net and i'm pretty happy with what i'm seeing so far. Although i'm yet to be convinced that Pine will do justice to the Kirk role. Quinto on the other hand looks like he may have Spock nailed!

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Im not a trekkie.... but new Startrek should be called "Startrek:High School Something"...... no adult stars???? I wonder why I see only teens and kids.... :-?

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah.... it's like star trek, done by michael bay and roland emmerich, crossed with dawson's creek and felicity..... yikes....

if they have some bad teen romance with david's mom, i'm gonna puke..... :mrgreen: :-?

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maybe they will add dance scenes....... :oops:

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to sound overly defensive here (cause I am definitely not) but how else could they have a "prequel" featuring the original characters w/o having a younger cast?

I agree that it looks semi TV-ish but thats (IMO) due to the director being from TV and having a tie to many popular TV actors.

Do you feel the 'prequel angle' is a bad choice for rebooting Star Trek? Or is it just the young cast that bothers you because I dont see the issues you are complaining about.

I do see them trying to make ST more mainstream by adding more sex (out of place in ST) and action (fine by me) but thats what all trailers do, they blow their money shots to get asses in seats.

Again, not trying to instigate an argument but I just dont see "high school trek" when I view the trailer.

Regardless, it still looks good to me and (IMO) J.J. Abrams did a great job on M.I.3 (I hated M.I.2) so i have no qualms with him (yet).

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well..... even in 'prequel angle' should be adult characters (for example qui gon)..... but maybe Im wrong and the movie is dark future where euthanasia is common (something like Logan's Run)....that changes everything.....

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sure there are some older characters.
Leonard Nimoy is in it, the captain of the ship (enterprise I speculate) is an adult, Sarek is in it and there have to be other adult characters in the film they just wanted to show Kirk and Spock (and Sulu briefly) in the trailer.

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
we both know they will be marginal, elberto..... I bet the movie will have "high school" feeling!

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well... yes... i do actually think a prequel version of star trek with "teen" versions of the original series cast is a really really bad idea..... they can't come up with anything cool or new so they are recycling kirk yet again!!!! and not only that... but dumbing it down and making it nothing but big explosions and teen angst....

plus... not that i'm a trekkie or anything... but ships in the star trek universe are built in spacedocks.... not on the ground... building a huge spaceship on the ground is asinine no matter what "universe" you're in..... so for that to be one of the first things we are shown (teaser trailer and now full trailer) in my opinion doesn't bode well for the show....

StormTrooper

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No doubt i will get shot down for this but in reality all spaceships are built on Earth are they not? Is where the Enterprise built that big of a deal? Lets wait and see how they explain that part before totally writing the movie off

Top Bottom