• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Jurassic World Trilogy

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Something has survived... Again.

wqmvavyq4m0ljawlfo8x.jpg

The Man in Black is Back (you know his name) and I couldn't be more thrilled! :D

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Pictured: Me, right now.

Last edited:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, nobody has been posting the trailers here... one second plz...

Trailer #1:

Trailer #2:

Final Trailer:

The only things I can tell you with certainty are that, A) this film will feature dinosaurs, and B) I will see it. Who knows how good or bad or ugly it's gonna be.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That last one gave away loads of the film compared to the earlier trailers. The movie looks like by far the dumbest and silliest entry in the franchise so far. Only stellar reviews and the irrepressible charm of Chris Pratt would tempt me in to watching this.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The movie looks like by far the dumbest and silliest entry in the franchise so far.

Whenever somebody tries to say this about any JP film other than #3 I feel obligated to remind them of this:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Yes, that was an astonishing creative choice :D . I can never quite picture how that was allowed into a finished movie that was not intended as a spoof. JP3 settles down after that though, it's still not good but it's not bad either.

Just going by the trailer, Fallen Kingdom looks exactly like how I feared a modern take on JP would go before I saw JW. I was wrong then, because JW (for the most part) captured the old magic very nicely... maybe I'll be wrong again (but I doubt it this time).

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
TM2YC said:
The movie looks like by far the dumbest and silliest entry in the franchise so far.

Whenever somebody tries to say this about any JP film other than #3 ...

I find Jurassic Park 3 far superior to the utterly horrid Lost World. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I weep for humanity that anyone cares about this franchise at all. There hasn’t been a good entry since the original, and even that is questionable.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ that's a bit hyperbolic

The original is great, and it set an incredibly high bar. I mostly enjoy JP3 and JW, despite their flaws. I hate The Lost Word though. Departure from the novel aside, the acting is horrendous.

I'm not watching any trailers aside from the first teaser going in to LW2, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
^ that's a bit hyperbolic

The original is great, and it set an incredibly high bar. I mostly enjoy JP3 and JW, despite their flaws. I hate The Lost Word though. Departure from the novel aside, the acting is horrendous.

I'm not watching any trailers aside from the first teaser going in to LW2, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

I think the original had some great moments, great music, and great effects. But beyond that, it was a monster movie. The sequels have uniformly failed to live up to any of the aforementioned highlights of the original and have, instead, reduced the franchise to lowest common denominator monster movies. If that’s hyperbolic to you, we’ll have to agree to disagree.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, I think "weeping for humanity" as it pertains to Jurassic Park movies is hyperbolic. I weep for humanity for many reasons, but as it pertains to anyone garnering enjoyment from a monster movie is just a wee bit dramatic...

I like monster movies. I love Paleontology. The original sparked a lot of feels in me when I saw it in the theater. While the sequels have been derivative and fallen into the tropes that sequels often produce, they're not horrible movies.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Yes, I think "weeping for humanity" as it pertains to Jurassic Park movies is hyperbolic. I weep for humanity for many reasons, but as it pertains to anyone garnering enjoyment from a monster movie is just a wee bit dramatic...

I like monster movies. I love Paleontology. The original sparked a lot of feels in me when I saw it in the theater. While the sequels have been derivative and fallen into the tropes that sequels often produce, they're not horrible movies.
Again, I think we’ll have to agree to disagree. Just like with Marvel, I think the only redeeming quality is the casting of a charismatic lead. RDJr. In Marvel’s case and Pratt in Jurassic’s case. The movies themselves are like roller coasters to me. All “thrills” and no substance. And, for me, the thrill is gone.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently we'll have to agree to disagree, because I'm going to stick on the phrase "weeping for humanity" - I wouldn't use it to describe enjoyment or lack-thereof of ANY film in discussion on these forums. I hate the Marvel films (really, I think they are utter crap...) and general trend of comic book nonsense, but I don't pity humanity as a result of it. People want to turn their brains off and enjoy some splodes. I get it. Not my bag, but I get it.

I also get that you find the Jurassic Park franchise paper thin, with very little substance. BUT, that said, there is a point when our discussions often jump the shark. I think it's too easy to let our passion run wild and focus on what we dislike about a movie. We're not talking about Nazi propaganda or exploitation films here. "Weeping for humanity" is indeed, in my opinion, incredibly hyperbolic. I'll leave it at that.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, fair enough. If you’re taking my comment as literally “weeping for humanity” over a movie—any movie—I totally agree. But can’t we use such term in a certain context with having to acknowledge the Holocaust or something other. I’m sad that what was a decent movie (for the first half) has been taken in the direction it has. I’m sad that humanity prefers monsters to wonder.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
can’t we use such term in a certain context with having to acknowledge the Holocaust or something other.

You can do whatever you want. That doesn't mean it isn't hyperbolic...

Moe_Syzlak said:
I’m sad that humanity prefers monsters to wonder.

I'm sad that we have few films that are able to give us monsters and wonder.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
You can do whatever you want. That doesn't mean it isn't hyperbolic...

Hyperbole within a purpose. Pretty much every descriptor we would give any movie is  hyperbole. After all, it’s only a movie. I think you understood my meaning. And I think you chose to extend it to a larger meaning. Was it hybebolic? Yes. Was it hyperbole used within a reasonable context? I thought so. We’re talking in a very specific context. If I’m discussing music with a friend and they say “I weep for humanity over the popularity of auto-tune,” I don’t take them at face value; I understand that, while of course hyperbolic, I wouldn’t call them out on it because the context is clear. That was my thinking. Apologies  if that wasn’t clear.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The first Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies. I think it's terrifically well made - Writing, casting, direction, effects, music etc. It's not just a fantastic movie, it's the only good movie that successfully makes use of Dinosaurs as a threat - and I think that saying its merely a "monster" movie plays down the human drama and comic elements, which are also done very well and much better than 90% of modern films. It certainly succeeds in these areas much better than your average monster movie (Eg. Godzilla).

Having said that, everything that's followed in that franchise was utterly pants (granted, it's been a long time since I saw The Lost World), and I have absolutely zero interest in this upcoming sequel. The fact that it's bringing back the very worst thing about Jurassic World (Pratts relationship with a flipping Veloceraptor) is enough to make me run and and hide, rather than strain my jaw from cringing.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had nothing better to do today so gave JP:FA a whirl. I expected nothing and so was adequately entertained. The Dinosaur CGI was first rate IMO, I genuinely couldn't tell if some of the close-to-medium stuff was puppets or computers. There are several preposterous, ill thought out, half baked and nonsensical story elements. The plot structure is basically at least 30 mins of exposition to get the characters back on the island, followed by less than 30 mins on the island and finally 60 minutes in a "haunted mansion". There are just a few notes from the JP theme, which was very much missed.

Fanediting wise, if no deleted scenes are available then there isn't much scope for creating a terrific film. Still it could use some of the JP theme at several obvious points, the opening could stand some streamlining and of course make the girl not a *redacted* because that was unnecessarily silly.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I had nothing better to do today so gave JP:FA a whirl. I expected nothing and so was adequately entertained. 

Would you recommend seeing it in the theater or waiting for video?  Also how would you compare it with Jurassic World and the rest of the franchise?  I did not like JW and having not seeing JW:FK yet, I'm interested to know your thoughts since I think each movie gets progressively worse and would rank them from best to worst in order of release.

Top Bottom