• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks better than Captain Marvel

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the trailer very much. Sure it looks similar to Last Stand, but that movie crammed too many good ideas into a short 100 minute runtime, not to mention heavy studio interference and aftermaths of Singer’s departure.

This movie seems focused only on Dark Phoenix, looks very character driven, and much more interesting than the bland and mediocre Apocalypse. The trailer was also edited very well, so much so that it turned my opinion from “Meh, I guess I’ll see it out of curiosity” to “Looks exciting, I’m looking forward to it!” Of course there is the possibility of me being completely wrong, but that’s the case with every trailer. And yes I agree with @"Zarius" that it looks better than Captain Marvel. Now that looks like “Meh, I guess I’ll see it out of curiosity”

By the way, whatever happened to “New Mutants”?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally really enjoyed the trailer. Definitely 10x more excited for this than Captain Marvel, but I'm still looking forward to both. Really interested in how this can be fan edited into the X-Men Continuity Series too. :)

Masirimso17 said:
By the way, whatever happened to “New Mutants”?

According to a quick google search, it's supposed to be released on August 2nd this year, which would be almost 2 years since the trailer was released.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Trailer looks okay, seems to be exactly what a lot of people predicted which if you couldn't figure out, I'll tag it. 

Mystique is finally killed off. Seems Jlaw is getting her wish of exiting the franchise which is what it seemed she wanted to ever since post-DOPF. It was mostly implied in the first trailer, but almost completely confirmed here. If it doesn't happen though, I'd be very surprised.

Overall it seems almost beat-for-beat The Last Stand, which may not be a bad thing as it has room to improve. But heck it even has the same mobile-mutant-containment thing that Vinny Jones was kept in when Magneto breaks him out in X3. Seems like it's some kinda X-Men: Civil War with one side trying to kill her and the other to fix her. Could be interesting but I can already see the twist that Jessica Chastain is the Zemo of this movie, secretly influencing Jean (and others?) for her own agenda.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Bobson Dugnutt": That's certainly what it looks like from the trailer. But if what you guess turns out to be true, I would be very sad about that.

Not because I care about J-Law continuing -- she seems bored here, and if she wants out, that's fine. But killing off Mystique might destroy the very last thread of continuity that this series had. 

Yes, DoFP created an alternate timeline. For the most part, that's been a good thing. But I like to believe that some altered version of the events of X1 and X2 still happened, since they were good movies. If Mystique isn't even alive at the time of X1 and X2, I don't think I can believe any version of them happened anymore.

Of course, Kevin Feige is undoubtedly about to rewrite the whole timeline again, but as long as we're still in this cinematic universe with these recurring actors, I would like it if I didn't lose those two movies completely.

You may certainly be right, though. At this point, I'm hoping that it's a typical intentionally misleading trailer, and she winds up hospitalized -- even in a coma -- but still technically alive at the end.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm rather uninterested in this. Feeling basically the opposite of Zari and Masi, I think Captain Marvel looks much better (though I don't think there's much to gain from arbitrarily comparing the two films). I like Sophie Turner on Game of Thrones, but as Jean I am bored.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Seems Jlaw is getting her wish of exiting the franchise which is what it seemed she wanted to ever since post-DOPF.
What I don't understand is why they didn't just let her go and replace her with Rebecca Romijn, who still looks similar now to how she did in 2000, and probably wouldn't look a day older under all of the blue makeup.

After all, this movie is set decades after "First Class". Most of the characters should be made up to look decades older than they did in the 1960s setting, and ideally a bit more like their counterparts from the original trilogy (for instance, subtle makeup effects to make James McAvoy look more like Patrick Stewart, etc), and there's no reason why Mystique shouldn't look like Rebecca Romijn's version by this point in the timeline.

Everyone would be happy that way. Jennifer Lawrence wouldn't be stuck in another movie she didn't want to be in, and audiences wouldn't be subjected to (probably) another phoned-in performance from her.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems like another Harrison Ford/Force Awakens death deal

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:

The ironic thing about it is that Fox's X-Men movies are getting canceled anyway, so there's no need for Mystique to die for Jennifer Lawrence to avoid ever playing her again. This presumably wasn't known when the movie started production. I wonder if the story would be different if everyone had known?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Masirimso17 said:

The ironic thing about it is that Fox's X-Men movies are getting canceled anyway, so there's no need for Mystique to die for Jennifer Lawrence to avoid ever playing her again. This presumably wasn't known when the movie started production. I wonder if the story would be different if everyone had known?

To be honest I'm fine as long as it works in the movie. Harrison Ford would only play the character again if he was killed off, and it was beautifully written into the story. And Ford really gives it his all in that one. I really hope that similarly Mystique's death is written to complement the story well.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sidebar about New Mutants:

Whenever I hear that anything was just fine with a movie until some other movie got released, and then suddenly the studio wants to turn their film into a clone of the other one (in this case wanting New Mutants to become It), I just wanna slap the people at the studio. Can't a movie be good on its own terms? Has retrofitting the movie after it's complete ever resulted in greater success or acclaim for the film?

Second sidebar:

I called this one back in 2017 when the merger was announced: It doesn't matter how popular or acclaimed Legion is; once Marvel brings the X-Men franchise in-house, everything from the previous regime is getting canned. And now it's been confirmed. Series creator Noah Howley is trying to be diplomatic, but I don't buy his claim that he never intended for the show to run beyond seasons. A show needs 100 episodes to get into syndicated reruns, and this show is nowhere near that. 

It's only a matter of time for The Gifted.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that was gppd. I’m unsure about all the “Jean! No!” shouting and the actor direction as a whole. 
The cinematography look very good.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That new international trailer finally got me pumped for this! Fingers crossed it's a fitting end to the Fox chapter of X-Men movies. 
Really hope Tye Sheridan doesn't simply yell "JEAN" the whole time. At least he has something to do though. Cyclops was my favorite character as a child and it seemed ridiculous to me that they cut him out of the phoenix saga the first go round. Wolverine desperately needed more screen time though so...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
A show needs 100 episodes to get into syndicated reruns, and this show is nowhere near that.

Syndicated reruns? What year is this?

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
TomH1138 said:
A show needs 100 episodes to get into syndicated reruns, and this show is nowhere near that.

Yeah, the idea of a show needed 100 episodes has been dead for a while.  With the rise of Netflix and cable shows as a whole that old philosophy is essentially dead, except maybe for network sitcoms which Legion is most certainly not.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:

Someone else questioned that when I mentioned it on my FB page. If this was being produced directly for streaming, I wouldn't have even brought it up, but I would think that network and cable TV offerings still depend on reruns, at least to some degree.

Sometimes series end early by the creators' design, but I still have a hard time believing that the studio and the network agreed that -- regardless of how popular and acclaimed the series was at the time -- the show would end in just 3 years. More likely, the series creator would move on after Season 3 and the studio would hire a new show runner...unless there are other outside factors, such as the Disney-Fox merger bringing an end to X-Men related fare originally created by and for Fox.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's also worth mentioning that Hawley runs a whole other show, Fargo. Season 3 was in 2017, then he focused on Legion, now Legion is ending and Fargo season 4 is coming. Also, he wrote a novel a couple years ago. Dude is busy. 

Things can be two things, so it might also be related to the Disney thing, but it could be unrelated.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough, Cuddly Ninja! You made some good points that I didn't know about.

Also, since this discussion began, I found out that The Gifted tanked in the ratings in its second season, so a third season is unlikely regardless of the Disney deal.

Top Bottom