• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Star Wars Opening Crawl Template

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone, I've been working on a fanedit of Rogue One (called Rogue One: The Battle of Scarif) and as part of my work on it, I had to create a custom opening crawl. Since I assume many other people might find it helpful to have a template available for their own uses, I've decided to share my project files with the community.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7kZu_P0fJ84S2lCTVE2cl9scnM?usp=sharing

Everything you need is contained in this folder, but you will need a copy of the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite to open the project files. The actual text column was created in Adobe Illustrator, and the animation of the text (plus the starfield) was created in Adobe After Effects.

So here's what you do:

1. Make sure you have Adobe After Effects and Illustrator installed on your computer.
2. Install the included fonts in the template folder (Trajan Pro, News Gothic LT Bold, Univers LT Std). These are normally included on most computers but you never know.
3. Open the Illustrator file titled Rogue One scroll text v2.ai. Adjust the text for your project as needed. Keep in mind that all the Star Wars crawls are around 80-90 words total, with three paragraphs breaking them up.
4. Open the After Effects project file. The Illustrator file is already linked to this project file, so whatever you text you alter will automatically be updated in After Effects. Everything is already animated and ready to go...the text moves at the exact pace and angle of the actual crawls from the films.
5. The animation tilts down by default and hovers on a blank starfield for several seconds. It is up to you to decide what elements to lay on top of this area. If you'd like to change the direction of the tilt, alter the position keyframes of the layer marked NULL 4. Or, just leave it as is :)

Any questions, feel free to ask. I also included a pair of aspect ratio plates in 4K resolution. These add black bars to the top and bottom of a 16x9 frame. I believe all the Star Wars films were shot in 2:39 aspect ratio, which may be helpful if you decide to add your own effects shots.

-eldusto84

Top Bottom