• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman Redeemed (a hybrid of III and IV by ADigitalMan)

ADigitalMan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Superman Redeemed
This project of pure insanity presents a hybrid cut of Superman III and IV, with elements of all four films worked in. I had the crazy concept for this film after watching them for the first time since I was a kid during the summer of 2006. Though they're both miserably wretched to watch, they do have some fantastic elements in them. III had the great stuff with Lana in Smallville, plus the classic good vs. evil Superman battle. IV had a great concept with Superman trying to disarm the world and Lex trying to capitalize on it, but the FX were miserable, the action sequences were misguided, Lenny was annoying, and the whole Lacy plot was nothing but superfluous padding. It would have been a great movie of the week in the early 80s at best.

Was there enough salvagable material in these two, and could it be constructed into a working plot? I wasn't even sure going into it, but I thought so. When I realized that the Paris sequence from Lester's SII could be the lynchpin of the story, it all fell into place. The end result is surprisingly coherent and entertaining. Some bad FX still remain, and a couple of disjointed cuts were inescapable, but it's better than sitting through those two films in their entirety ever again. Just as the character of Superman is redeemed in the junkyard, so do these two junky films get redeemed, leaving a more fitting legacy for Christopher Reeve. Hence the name: Superman Redeemed.

I could detail the edit, but I think I'll let it speak for itself. A few notes though:
1. A healthy dose of the STM Original Soundtrack helps to patch scenes together and punch others up.
2. Lenny doesn't bust out Lex, Miss Tessmacher does while Otis looks on, dumbfounded. It was great to put these characters into this film. Thank you Donner Cut Deleted Scenes!
3. Brando is heard.
4. Darth Editous is the coolest guy on this board. One key shot still had Richard Pryor in it, which I was prepared to accept after my slipshod attempts at digital character removal. Then DE offered to fix this and presented the result in less than a day. As Clark would best say it: "Golly, what a swell guy!" Check out
this page to see what awesomeness he produced.

Here's the "About" menu from the Redeemed disc:
2006 was billed by Warner Bros. as "The Year of Superman." We were given a new film that was respectful to Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve. We got the Donner Cut of Superman II. And we got one of the coolest DVD boxed sets to date. Unfortunately, Superman III and IV still suck. While they do have their good moments, they are mostly painful to watch. Superman III has been described as a bad concept produced well, and Superman IV has been described as a good concept produced horribly.

I watched them this year for the first time since I was a kid and came up with a crazy concept: Could these two be edited into one film with most of the lousy parts removed? That became my challenge. After completing the Hybrid Cut of Superman II, I vowed to do this next.

Using elements from all four movies (including some esoteric deleted stuff), I was able to cobble together a new narrative around Clark's return to Smallville, and Superman's Quest For Peace. While it's still not perfect, it's certainly enjoyable (at least to me. and the cringeworthy elements have been minimalized. I hope you enjoy this crazy little project, and hope it redeems the legacy of Christopher Reeve for you, as it has for me.
Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm definitely gonna check this one out!! :)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the "evil" Superman stuff in part 3, and basically nothing from part 4. It'll be interesting to see how this edit turns out.

P

Peter von Frosta

I can't imagine how the superman vs. clark would fit into this, so I'm very interested in this.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that is just great, ADM. How are we going to get this?

f1209

Reaction score
Trophy Points
REALLY looking forward to this. I am so curious to see how this has turned out.

Hoping this finds its way to Rapidshare soon...

drgonzo369

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have this on the RS page that Darkjedi put up, but I figured that this is the review section, so I'll put it here. If anyone wants me to take down the review on the RS page (since it'll be up twice), lemme know and I'll just edit it out.

And yes, this is the exact same post as on the other page (you know the one), but since it's on both, I thought I'd review on both. If that's not cool, lemme know.

And now the review:

Just finished watching Redeemed like 2 minutes ago. Given the source material, I have to say ADM, that was pretty damn good. The main fawls are in the original source material (like Superman standing there watching Nuclear Gay Man lay waste to cops and people for like 5 minutes, WTF?!?!). There is one cut during the UN speech that was rather quick, but that was minor. I have the original Superman dvds (not the new set) and I don't remember the moon fight being like that. I sat there watching with my roommate, and we pointed out all the curtain and wire shots, which was alot. The explanation of HOW Superman becomes "Bizarro" was actually rather good, imo. Just seeing the footage from all 3 movies kinda pulled me out for a tick (that's from 3, that's from 4, back to 2, we're at 4 again), but it flowed rather well. I haven't gotten the Hybrid yet (gonna pull that at work tonight), so it was good use of the Eiffel Tower scene (which I loathed in Superman II). Great edit to make a watchable movie.

BTW Darth Editous, the scene where you took out Gus.....holy freakin GOD, you are the shit!!! To quote "The Game", "You're just that damn good."

This edit is highly recommend and has the good Dr's seal of approval.

After viewing the Hybrid, I'll post a review too, as well as Returns when it's out.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice review, thank you, drgonzo.

drgonzo369

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I figured as opposed to making new topics with every edit I review, I'll just make one topic and add reviews when I do them.

1st Review (which I'll just link cause I"m lazy):

ADM's Superman Redeemed
http://www.faneditforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=519

2nd Review-

Spence's The Amazing Spider-man:

Wow. I liked Sam Raimi's vision of Spiderman when I saw it in theaters, and even after the multiple times watching it on dvd. Though it's definitely a candidate for "Most Continuity Errors in a single movie", it was always a good story about the classic everyman superhero. But it had an issue with alot of movies of "back and forth". Superman Returns is guilty of "What's Lex doing now?" and Spider-Man was always guilty of "Let's go see what crazy Norman is up to." Not anymore.

The first 40 or so minutes of the movie are all about Peter Parker and his changes from Geek to Sheek. Gone is the "nothing is good enough" talk in the car between Osborn kin. Gone is the constant "Join the Darkside" from Green Goblin to Spider-Man. The first 1/2 of the film is all Peter. And it felt alot better, in all honesty. I remember going to the theater opening night with friends, and upon leaving, they kept saying "I don't give a crap about Norman, I wanna know about Peter." Now it's not all over the place.

Bonesaw is still there, as is Bruce Campbell naming Spidey (which always makes me smile). The first part of the movie is edited so well, it doesn't even feel like 40 mins have gone by.

Once the Goblin's part in put in the film, it's cut and dry that Stormin' Norman is off his rocker. This guy is desperate to keep his company his own, and because of that, he experiments on himself to show that he is a success. This guy is crazy now, and it shows.

Alot of the edits are suttle. I found myself watching and wondering at times if anything was edited at all. Other times, pointless shots or appearances were gone (Macy Gray, Lucy Lawless are the 2 that come to mind). This version just feels right.

Spence has done a top notch job on his other edits that I have (Silent Hill, Daredevil, Matrix Squared), and the video/audio are great in this.

Definitely a pick to get, just to see how a good film can be made better.

Next review: either Superman II Hybrid Cut or Spence's Daredevil.[/url]

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like DrGonzo's review corner. A lot! :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it already has, fff

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
some funny comments from piratebay:
In my mind I imagine a bunch of guys who cant get dates talking like the fan kids in Galaxy Quest only about how your "new cool movie project" is coming along like its some earth shattering stuff. I bet you all get soooooooo excited while doing these"fan edits". Whats wrong with the original? If you guys dont like somthing, I suggest that you instead of butchering SOMEONE ELSE'S work, you should make your own film your own way. I believe my opinion is shared by quite a few people.

Feel free to talk some fat-highschooler trash in reply.

Get a life, and stop trying to scrounge up pieces of other peoples lives thatyou want to be like.

Fruitbootys
I guess nerull69 has never heard of the postmodern art movement? Go get a college education and perhaps you will then realize that taking found material and re-organizing it to produce a different experience is a valid form of art.
even Edison stole idea's

if you don't like this idea don't download it

i think it's cool
Can someone please tell me how to make a subtitle to a movie?

What program do I need?

Thanks
What a great idea. Two lousy followups to two great films. I for one have no problem with someone who takes the time and effort to offer a another vision.

nerull69, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh please. Your post tells me far more about you . Self worth criticism is a tool for fools.
A modern art. YES!!!!

Top Bottom