• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Stephen King's IT (2017)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

I am hype. King is my #1 favorite author and IT is my #1 (followed close behind is the Dark Tower series). I've been following the progress of this flick pretty closely and I'm still a bit unsure how good it will be, but hot damn this teaser gives me hope.

So I admit I'm not a huge King fan, haven't read It and have a vague recollection of the miniseries. But this looks like it will exist all in the time the protagonists are children? Are you worried something will be lost by doing that?

I'm perfectly fine with a kids-only film and then (hopefully) an adults follow up. Yes, it won't be how the book is, but if they do the material justice I won't be bothered. Not to mention that somebody on the internet will almost certainly re-edit the two movies into a Book Cut.

Neglify said:
I'm perfectly fine with a kids-only film and then (hopefully) an adults follow up. Yes, it won't be how the book is, but if they do the material justice I won't be bothered. Not to mention that somebody on the internet will almost certainly re-edit the two movies into a Book Cut.

Lol. I wonder where one might find information about such a project.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuI9S1ao7I[/video]

Wait. Holy Fucking Shit. Did I seriously create a thread for this film a year ago and then promptly forgot I did that? Dafuq.

So yeah. I did see this bad boy at my local duplex movie theater back when that shit was fresh out the box. I was high as balls, which means I had a fun time anal-lyzing everything and did not think the film was trash.

The actual film character IT was stupid though to be honest. I don't have the time to go into my opinions on the matter because I can talk quite at length about the epic novel, so I'll just say that some mistakes were made with the title character.

Neglify said:
The actual film character IT was stupid though to be honest. I don't have the time to go into my opinions on the matter because I can talk quite at length about the epic novel, so I'll just say that some mistakes were made with the title character.

I'm quite curious how it would have been like if Cary Fukunaga had directed IT. I believe his vision was much more twisted, deeper and more mature – perhaps he would have created something unbearable for your ordinary audience. Andres Muschietti is rather a standard horror-director while Fukunaga is a visionary. Anyway, you can listen about Fukunaga’s original vision here:

Now, @"Neglify" , I’d really like to read about your opinion on IT – this novel fascinates me. What could have been done better with the film, what didn’t you like about Pennywise, what did you miss from the book (and how much does the book mean to you)?

And do you think a fanedit could make it better or scarier? Perhaps when part II is finally available and yet-to-be-released director’s cut?

I don’t mind reading lengthy posts and analysis ;).

Maybe I'll eventually write something lengthier about IT, aka Pennywise the Dancing Clown, aka Bob Gray, but for now I'll keep it simple.

The character of IT in the book is the ultimate monster. IT says it best with this quote: "I am eternal, child. I am the eater of worlds, and of children. And you are next!"

Skarsgard did a perfectly fine job with the material, but that IT is far from the eater of worlds. That IT was a jump-scare weirdo, a movie baddie that liked to jump out and scare the heroes, but never really did anything. In one moment IT would shake and jitter towards the camera, making you think you're gonna get got, then the next moment IT would slowly growl and snarl at the children, giving the heroes just enough time to escape or overpower IT. 

And the ending? The kids beat IT with a baseball bat while IT just stands there, gaping and gawking, waiting for the next hit to come. In the book, and mini-series, they made silver bullets for the slingshot, and it was the kid's faith in their weapon that hurt IT. (Well, actually, in the book the kids went into The Void to perform the Ritual of Chud, and that's what hurt IT.)

Here's hoping Part Two will give us some actual terror.

Haven't read or seen anything It, but this very personal AV Club essay by film critic A.A. Dowd (one of the sites last remaining writers), mainly discussing the book, is touching and thought-provoking.

Back
Top Bottom