• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Lost in Space.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated post, now released...

[youtube:wmhker7m]

LOST IN SPACE

Original Runtime: 2h10m
New Runtime: 1h31m

Your intention for this fan edit: The main goal was simply to remove Blarp from the film. Never before has there been a character (and I use the term loosely) so supremely annoying, and utterly inconsequential to the plot. At least Jar Jar Binks and Ruby Rhod actually contributed to their stories. Blarp just screeches a lot. And on top of all that, it's very mediocre (sometimes downright horrid) CGI.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
Numerous, including but not limited to:

Removed John Robinson's opening voiceover. It doesn't tell us anything necessary that we don't learn in watching the film. I'm not a fan of redundant voiceovers.

Advanced the original on-screen date (2058) by one hundred years. I know it's a minor quibble, but the Earth presented here is far too advanced to be only fifty years away, in my opinion.

Slimmed down entire opening sequence, removing all of the West/Jeb jokes and so-called "cool lines" and any shots of the GenTechs inside their ships.

Removed both of the early scenes with the Robinsons at home. The only real information we get from them is that Penny is not happy to be leaving, and that Will feels ignored by his father. Both of these points will be covered ad nauseam during the course of the film.

Removed Smith's constant prattle when reprogramming the Robot. "Sleeping behemoth", "Steely centurion", "Platinum-plated pal"…I know this is how the TV Smith often spoke, but there's no need to cram so many into such a short space of time.

Removed Operative contacting Smith via hologram for the second time. It's goofy, there's the stupid, "I told you never to call me here" joke, and it's not needed for us to figure out that Smith was betrayed by the Global Sedition for demanding more money. And even without that supposition, all we really need to know is that Smith's device short-circuits, rendering him unconscious.

Removed West hitting on Judy just before she goes into cryosleep. The West/Judy dynamic is very forced, with no real chemistry between the characters. So most of it is now gone.

Removed Maureen berating Smith over his sabotage, and Smith's verbose response.

Removed Smith's puns, "Put a little heart into it" and "The life you save may be my own."

Removed the frozen time during hyper-jump.

Removed scene where Judy removes West's flight suit, and they discuss his tattoo.

Removed Penny recording her log, and then lamely flirting with West.

Removed Smith's, "Evil knows evil." There are far too many instances of self-conscious dialogue for my liking in this film, so I have removed several cases of people talking to themselves at the ends of scenes.

Removed scene of the crew finding Blarp. I won't bother listing all the subsequent Blarp removals, there's way too many. You can play "Where's Waldo" for the two remaining Blarp shots if you have a keen eye. Hopefully, neither of them is obvious. My hope is that if you'd not already seen the film, you wouldn't realise that yellow bastard ever existed.

Removed West's first shot bouncing off of a spider. Every single other laser shot damages the spiders, so this one is a bit of an oddity.

Removed Will's observation, "They eat their wounded."

Removed West's rant about wanting a can of Raid.

When the spider is on top of West, you can see him fire his gun, but no sound effect is present. Now fixed.

Removed firing the faulty torpedos at the swarm of spiders. The excuse given as to why they don't work makes no sense, and it's really only here to set up something later on in the film which I have also removed anyway.

Removed West's stupidity over the speed of the Proteus explosion, and the odd reverse motion shot of Maureen sitting back in her chair. (I'm guessing it was supposed to indicate some kind of force-field seatbelt, but who the hell knows?)

The sequence in the film where the Jupiter 2 crashes is a weird jumble. Many of the shots are out of order, and the ship is suddenly facing the wrong way at the end of it all. I have re-ordered the shots to be in what appears to be the correct sequence, and have also removed the "Temple of Doom" double crash.

Removed Maureen's line about a pissing contest.

Removed Maureen's line to herself, "Détente's a beautiful thing."

Removed Smith talking to himself after his argument with West.

Removed West trying yet again to hit on Judy, and the entire Bugs Bunny/Porky Pig conversation.

Removed the terrible effects shot pullback from West closing the blast-shield, which also removes the gag with the Waltons-esque goodnight.

Removed yet another scene of West hitting on Judy. Jeez Louise, enough already.

Removed all reference to Will incorporating his personality into the Robot.

Removed the Robot telling a joke.

Removed Will's line to Smith, "I told you we could into the bubble this way." The bubble is gigantic, and they get to it by walking in a straight line. Yeah, Will must be a genius to figure out a way in. Sigh.

Removed Will's terribly delivered line, "We can always go back." (If only I could take out all of his bad acting. If I did, there'd be very little of him left in the film.)

Removed the first scene of Smith and Will discovering the alternate Jupiter 2. The "Oh shit" joke isn't funny, and without it the scene has no point, so…

Originally, when Smith and Will catch up to John and West, Smith somehow knows all about the adult Will and the time machine without any explanation. To fix this, I've moved the scene of Smith and Will approaching the Alt-Jupiter to earlier in the film, so that Smith can get to the ship in time to conceivably eavesdrop on all of the necessary exposition.

Removed Smith telling West, "It's a time machine, you idiot." I have no idea why the line is there. West was present for all the explaining a moment earlier. It's like they just wanted to remind the audience in case they forgot in the last two minutes.

Removed some more of Smith's prattle to the Robot.

Removed the looped line of Will saying, "Dad, it's Doctor Smith!" Thanks, Exposition Lad!

Removed Spider-Smith's line, "I never liked me anyway."

Removed Will's lines about "Every living thing has a heart…" and fixed a little bit of odd continuity with the Robot removing the control device.

Removed West saying, "We don't the have trackers to find our way back." This line is actually from a deleted subplot involving multiple portals/time periods, which has lazily been left in the film. Judy firing the torpedos to signal West is also part of this subplot, and has been removed too.

Removed West telling Judy that he is going to get a tattoo of her name.

Removed all of the "Spider-Smith as bad guy" material. The CGI is terrible, and the story point is ridiculous. I think everyone comes out looking a lot better for not having to bother with this attempt to have a big finale villain. As it is now, John gets back to adult Will just in time to see the Jupiter taking off. Spider-Smith is still up in the upper levels, where we last saw him headed.

Removed adult Will's final line, which they somehow were able to hear after the portal has closed.

Removed the final part of the tedious West and Judy pairing.

Restructured the end credits scroll to remove references to Blarp, (or Blawp, as they spell it here) Porky, Bugs, and Daffy. The music used is the Apollo 440 remix of the season 3 theme, but I have removed all of the dialogue samples. (Apart from being obnoxious, over half of them are no longer in this edit of the film.)

Fan edit details (please add here details about DVD contents as well as video and audio information): NTSC, anamorphic. The DVD also features a compilation of several cut scenes, the season 3 opening credits of the TV show remade with the film actors, and an edit of the film's original teaser (now devoid of any shots that aren't in the fan edit).

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

the trailer made me lol, so im looking forward to it

I'm not gonna lie to you, I have no idea what the hell is going on in that. Good trailer, but I'm ...lost. Haha. S'ok though, I'm usually 12 pages behind everyone else. ;)

wow, those were quite some movies in it... LOST IN SPACE? seems to be a true surprise. :)

It's okay if anyone is confused by that teaser. :)

The original purpose of it was to have the viewer figure out for themselves what the movie was (this was before I added the title card) ...and the approach was simply to say that unlike Hurt, Rogers, Graham, LeBlanc, Chabert, and Oldman, the "Blarp" will not be in the film. (And just in case there's any further confusion, the clips in the teaser are not meant to indicate that other films will be utilised in this edit. It's all just Lost in Space.)

I know that a lot of the time, edits are done to make a film darker and more serious but I wasn't interested in doing that for this film. (I'm not even sure a DMS approach would work at all.) I have taken out a lot of the insultingly dumb stuff, but this is still just supposed to be a silly little fun movie. If you hated it before, you probably still will. But if you're like me, and mostly enjoyed the silliness (but despised Blarp with a burning intensity) you might enjoy the edit.

As another teaser (sort of) here are the opening titles I threw together before deciding to abandon the TV style opener...
[youtube:3ndo4pbj]

i loved blarp when i first saw the movie, i was still just a youngin at the time, but when i saw it a few months ago i was amazed at just how badly animated blarp was, it was an eyesore just watching him

Im interested just how this film will turn out, I never disliked blarp but did hate the grown up version of the son, not much can be done about him i guess... infact the young version of the son was annoying to... :mrgreen:

please tell me you trimmed down lacey chaberts 'wrist cam podcast' crap.

Uncanny Antman said:
It's okay if anyone is confused by that teaser. :)
I got it dude.
T3, AvP, now LOST IN SPACE?
Maybe there 's hope for Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever :p

elbarto1 said:
Trimmed down? No.
Removed completely? Yes. :-D

Please tell me you did something with Spider-Smith at the end... some of the shots work, but to be honest a lot of them are absolute crap in a hat.

As for Blarp... or however it's spelled... I wouldn't have minded it that much if they hadn't removed the future version that was so much cooler of a design. (I'd have loved to have seen the future version go off with the crew, the younger version having ceased to exist because it was pointless, silly, and expensive)

I don't even wanna try to imagine the work of erasing that little critter from the movie.

All in all, this is one of those movies that I loved despite it's flaws... I'll be more than happy to watch this edit when it comes out.

Akitsu said:
Please tell me you did something with Spider-Smith at the end... some of the shots work, but to be honest a lot of them are absolute crap in a hat.
I have done something with Spider-Smith. It may not work for everyone, but it's definitely the way I prefer it.

As for Blarp... or however it's spelled...
Even the filmmakers can't decide. The actors all pronounce it "Blarp" but the credits list it as "Blawp". :roll:

I wouldn't have minded it that much if they hadn't removed the future version that was so much cooler of a design.
Exactly. Not only does the Henson-created older version look better, but without it in the film, the younger one is just a pointless, badly executed CG turd. It's not the only thing that was left in the film despite crucial related material being deleted. It's like they couldn't bear to part with certain parts even though they no longer made any sense.

I don't even wanna try to imagine the work of erasing that little critter from the movie.
Wasn't easy. :)

The visual trimming wasn't too hard for the most part...the tough work was getting rid of all the screeching and wailing on the soundtrack. Damn thing never shuts up.

I actually liked the looks of the TV intro.

Glad to see Blarp and annoying podcasts are going to be removed.

Exactly. Not only does the Henson-created older version look better, but without it in the film, the younger one is just a pointless, badly executed CG turd. It's not the only thing that was left in the film despite crucial related material being deleted. It's like they couldn't bear to part with certain parts even though they no longer made any sense.

Sadly, I have the making of book... so I have a lot more insight into just how much work went into creating the Henson version. What's really fascinating is that the book talks about it as if it was guaranteed to be in the final version, so it was truly a last minute cut.

Do you know why?

http://www.lostintoys.com/museum/moviec.html

"Merchandising! Merchandising! Where da REAL money from the movie is made..."

The people in charge decided that there was no real reason in having not only a young Blarp... but an older one that didn't have any toys associated with it that was essentially the exact same creature from another time. They wanted to make sure that IF they did a sequel, they'd be able to keep selling Jar-Jar... erm... Blarp dollies.

Honestly, the pictures don't give you much indication on exactly how horrendous these toys are in person. We had them for $4.99 in Big Lots for years before they were all eventually destroyed by a kid who sprayed chocolate syrup all over them. (And half the toy isle... heh... otherwise they might still be there)

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Blarp put in... just to get to the point where we have future Blarp... but considering the utter lack of decent material pertaining to it, that's not exactly likely.

Uncanny Antman said:
elbarto1 said:
Trimmed down? No.
Removed completely? Yes. :-D

fan fucking tastic
:smile:

Akitsu said:
We had them for $4.99 in Big Lots for years before they were all eventually destroyed by a kid who sprayed chocolate syrup all over them.
What's a Big Lot? and can you get discounts?

"Big Lots" is a chain discount store. I know you can find them throughout the eastern USA, not sure about elsewhere. Its mostly stuff thats been discontinued, or overstocked in other stores, and can be really cheap. I used to pick up DVD-Rs there a lot.

I worked there 9 years... started off as MacFrugals, was then bought out by Pic N Save, and finally got the name change to Big Lots. Yes, we got a 20% off discount at the time... no, I'm no longer working there. ^_^ If there is a hell on earth, it is that of a Big Lots employee...

Akitsu said:
I worked there 9 years... started off as MacFrugals, was then bought out by Pic N Save, and finally got the name change to Big Lots. Yes, we got a 20% off discount at the time... no, I'm no longer working there. ^_^ If there is a hell on earth, it is that of a Big Lots employee...
so were are you working now?

Akitsu said:
What's really fascinating is that the book talks about it as if it was guaranteed to be in the final version, so it was truly a last minute cut.
Yes, from what I've read, the final cut of the film was done literally at the last minute (which explains a lot of sloppy shortcuts in the film) ...the adult Blarp toys were manufactured, and all the TV spots featured dialogue from Will Robinson which pertained to a completely deleted subplot.

Honestly, the pictures don't give you much indication on exactly how horrendous these toys are in person. We had them for $4.99 in Big Lots for years...
Yeah, we had a bunch too. And I'm sorry to say, I bought a bunch of them. (It was the first time in my life I had the money to buy whatever I wanted, and went a little nuts for a while.) The only good toy in the bunch was the deluxe Robot, which I still have somewhere.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Blarp put in... just to get to the point where we have future Blarp... but considering the utter lack of decent material pertaining to it, that's not exactly likely.
Even if the deleted scenes were restored, would it really be worth it? The adult Blarp is as useless to the narrative as the young one when you get right down to it. But then, maybe it would have played a bigger part in the two sequels. Hey, when are those coming out? I've been waiting for ages. ;)

Back
Top Bottom