• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Man of Steel: Ideal of Hope Edition

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see last year everyone went nuts with Batman v Superman fan edits or Man of Steel Hybrids.  I would like to do a hybrid too, since I have thought about doing it a long time ago.  What I want to create here is esentially an origin story for Superman, but giving it some of the depth I was waiting for using footage from Batman v Superman. I have already worked on a Man of Steel fan edit, but this one is basically a complete renovation with a different direction. These are some of the intentions for this project. The whole idea goes around the theme of hope that Jor-El talks about, and I want to enlight it even in the end. Although, it's important to say that for now, these are just ideas that I don't know if I can execute succesfully, but I wanna give it a try. 

- I would like to show Superman's origin story simultaneously with the scenes in Krypton.  Of course, I don't have intentions of using all of them, just the most important, which would be the birth, the moment where Jor-El puts him on the ship, the fight against Zod and Jor-El's death, Zod's arrestment and Krypton's destruction.  The rest of the important information is revealed when Clark discovers the scout ship.

- Clark's story would not be told in flashbacks, but instead in authentic chronological order.  Since the moment he's a child to when he becomes an adult.  However, I was thinking on using the scene at the bar to establish the moment where Clark decides to travel around the world for answers, which leads to the Oil Rig sequence.  This would be his first heroic act.  The intention is to make it look like Clark doesn't have yet defined if he's going to use his powers for good and help people until that moment. To make it more dramatic, I want to use some footage from Deepwater Horizon, which is also about an Oil Rig that explodes.  Thank god neither Kurt Russell or Mark Whalberg appear during the scenes I intend to use.

- The investigation parts of Lois Lane about Clark's past would be replaced with the crucial question of the story: What would happen if Superman is shown to the world for the first time? Would it be ready? So I want to use all the scenes of Superman on Africa and the impact he gave on public and politic opinion, which becomes in the end mixed. The Capitol scene would have a different direction. The idea is to make Superman disappointed about humanity after someone attempted to kill him with the explosion of the wheelchair. After this, people enrages on him and he decides to not continue his job as super hero. Superman would comeback after Zod arrives and asks him to surrender. It's the moment where he can prove he can be a real hero for the world.

- I would like to use the scenes with Bruce Wayne in middle of the Battle of Metropolis to replace the ones with Perry and his bland friends Jenny and Lombart.  This would show more effectively the impact of the battle on citizens.  I was also thinking on using as post credit scene the sequence where Bruce sees Superman falling from the sky, to promote the next fan edit I want to work on to create a perfect continuity with the one of Batman v Superman.

- Another important change is that I would like to close the film with the hope they keep talking about.  Something like the president or the goverment knowing that a lot of collateral damage has been caused, and many brave men died in the event, but in the end would like to thank Superman for saving the earth.  Something dramatic, but hopeful, so it looks like people did accept Superman as their saviour, despite the hate and reject towards him at the beginning.  So, if someone knows about films with speeches like that one, please let me know so I can make some good experiments.

For now, these are all my ideas, but I will post some new updates when I have them.  Even some clips ;;)   Btw, if the subtitle has been already taken, then I'm open to suggestions.  However, I would really like to keep the theme of hope in the title.

If the second edit is Batman centric, you may be able to salvage a Joker scene or two from Suicide Squad, if you feel like touching it with a ten foot pole, that is.

I like the idea of introducing Superman in Africa...makes for a more dynamic alternative meeting between Lois and Clark, you could also introduce Clark to the Dailly Planet a lot earlier in the movie too

All of these sound like good ideas.  I absolutely cannot stand the Oil Rig scene and find that after his talk with Jor-El Clark understands the meaning of saving the world.  
Furthermore, one question: do you intend to keep the, in my opinion, fantastic TV media montage in the films?  If yes, would you place it in this or the next one.

Canon Editor said:
All of these sound like good ideas.  I absolutely cannot stand the Oil Rig scene and find that after his talk with Jor-El Clark understands the meaning of saving the world.  
Furthermore, one question: do you intend to keep the, in my opinion, fantastic TV media montage in the films?  If yes, would you place it in this or the next one.

Yes, the TV media montage will be in my fan edit.  It's part of the center idea of how the world perceives Superman on earth.  It also shows us all the things Supes has done on earth by saving people.  The whole point of this fan edit is, in fact, to cover all the aspects regarding the impact of Superman's arrival on earth so the fan edit about Batman v Superman can be more light and focused.

I like the idea. You could use footage from the BvS Metropolis ad. It has a shot of Superman flying through Metropolis and the people at the cafe are looking up at him. You could use that footage during the president's speech or something.

douchebag said:
I like the idea. You could use footage from the BvS Metropolis ad. It has a shot of Superman flying through Metropolis and the people at the cafe are looking up at him. You could use that footage during the president's speech or something.

That is actually an excellent idea. I didn't know about this footage, thanks a bunch.  I may use it in a way to show Metropolis before or after (I still have to make experiments) the battle of Kryptonians.  Let me see if I can use it as a way of transition for when Clark joins the Daily Planet.

By now, I have edited the first 28 minutes of the fan edit.  As I said, the major change is that everything is told in chronological order regarding Clark's past.  Simultaneously, we see how Jor-El sent Kal to earth and the fate of Krypton.  Some minor cuts were added, like the scene of the tornado, where I stick to the early idea I had on my Kryptonian Cut fan edit, about Clark wanting to save Jonathan, but failing because it was too late when he decided to do it. 

Another idea people gave me back in the day was to make Jonathan's response to Clark's question about if he should have let the kids die in the bus almost inaudible, so it looks like he was just whispering, like if he was unsure about what he should have answered to Clark. After the destruction of Krypton, we go to the scene of Clark in the ship. 

For obvious reasons, I can't upload it to Youtube, so if you are interested, PM me and I'll send you a link to download this early draft of the 28 minutes so you can write in this thread some feedback.

Watching this gave me an idea

Instead of meeting  Clark in the dreamscape and threatening to destroy his planet from the get go, Zod induces Clark with a 5th Element-stlye montage of all humanities atrocities, before being woken up by Lois and the Jor-El AI. You could even lift Zod's line of "removing the degenerative bloodlines" and laying it over American military war crimes.

Then, later, you can have Johnathan Kent's scene of asking Clark if hurting that kid would have made him feel any better. To add a little agency on Clark's end, you could have him say "this is my world" from BvS. ;)

Nic said:
Watching this gave me an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf55WPJ5RO4[/video]

Instead of meeting  Clark in the dreamscape and threatening to destroy his planet from the get go, Zod induces Clark with a 5th Element-stlye montage of all humanities atrocities, before being woken up by Lois and the Jor-El AI. You could even lift Zod's line of "removing the degenerative bloodlines" and laying it over American military war crimes.

Then, later, you can have Johnathan Kent's scene of asking Clark if hurting that kid would have made him feel any better. To add a little agency on Clark's end, you could have him say "this is my world" from BvS. ;)

I don't know if it's me, but I can't see the video :(

Nic said:
Try it now:

Damn, that was some inspirational video, huh? Some of the ideas on it are the ones I want to explore in my fan edit.  I might take in consideration the Zod vision about earth being cruel.  However, I believe that with the scenes I intend to include, the good in humanity Clark is supposed to see will be as clear as water.

As I planned, the idea here was to add some footage from Deepwater Horizon to the Oil Rig scene.  This way, we can get some sense of urgency and drama.  Of course, I still have to correct the colors to match the ones of Man of Steel, but the idea in general is clear.

That was a pretty cool mash-up

Here is another idea I am trying to execute.  I changed my mind about Lois' investigation about Clark's past.  However I want to put it this way: Lois begins to hear rumors about an extraordinary man who saved men on an Oil Rig on fire, so she starts to make questions about him until she gets to Martha. Then we go to the scene of Lois arriving the artic.  The point of this change is that it looks like Lois followed Clark's tracks to the scout ship, which is where he wants go and it's established in the first 28 minutes, in the scene of the bar. So now, the real reason for Lois to go to the artic is because she learned Clark wanted to go there.

samspider3 said:
Here is another idea I am trying to execute.  I changed my mind about Lois' investigation about Clark's past.  However I want to put it this way: Lois begins to hear rumors about an extraordinary man who saved men on an Oil Rig on fire, so she starts to make questions about him until she gets to Martha. Then we go to the scene of Lois arriving the artic.  The point of this change is that it looks like Lois followed Clark's tracks to the scout ship, which is where he wants go and it's established in the first 28 minutes, in the scene of the bar. So now, the real reason for Lois to go to the artic is because she learned Clark wanted to go there.

that sounds cool

I had similar ideas to using the Lois investigation footage differently in a cut of the movie, that sounds pretty cool too

That idea for the investigation is amazing.  I am still not a fan of the oil rig sequence, but I have to see that by adding some context to it (using footage from Deepwater Horizon) it doesn't seem shoehorned in anymore.  Well done.

My problem with the Deepwater Horizon footage is that there's no establishing shot of it, we just cut to things going wrong. It would be nice if between Clark (not) getting crushed by the cage and his boat getting the distress signal, we got to spend a little bit of time with the oil rig crew before everything goes wrong.

Nic said:
My problem with the Deepwater Horizon footage is that there's no establishing shot of it, we just cut to things going wrong. It would be nice if between Clark (not) getting crushed by the cage and his boat getting the distress signal, we got to spend a little bit of time with the oil rig crew before everything goes wrong.

I was exactly thinking on something like that back when I was imagining this project.  And you might be right, we should see a bit more of the crew before all goes down.  I will have to do some experiments.

Back
Top Bottom