• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Arsene Lupin

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just kind of stumbled onto this.  It was on a list of movies I was looking over, so I looked it up on IMDB and saw that this was a literary character.  Basically the French's answer to Holmes.  I watched the trailer for the film and figured I should read some of the short stories before diving into the movie so I have a better understanding of the character.  

Is anyone else familiar with the character and his legacy?  Any stories to recommend?

I only know him as a member of 'Les Hommes Mystérieux'...

leshommesmysterieux.jpg

^ Second from left.

Well it's a good thing we got Agent Tom Sawyer instead of Lupin in the movie!  :dodgy:

This character also inspired his "relative" Lupin III in various manga and anime. The best of which is Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro, directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Ronald_Colman_Raffles_25.jpg

I don't know Arsène Lupin, but I did just finish reading E.W. Hornung's oeuvre of A. J. Raffles, a "gentleman thief" predecessor to and inspiration for Lupin, himself heavily modeled on Sherlock Holmes. Hornung was Doyle's brother-in-law, and wrote 26 short stories and one novel vice Doyle's 56 short stories and four novels. While they may lack the iconic and standout elements of the Holmes canon, they didn't get stale, as Doyle's later output did. That said, the lone novel and last-published story "Mr. Justice Raffles" prominently features a regrettable anti-Semitic caricature of a villain. The heroes focus their venom on him only, so one could make the defense that this bad egg of a money-lender just happens to be Jewish, but it still makes one wince, especially given the rest of the book is so strong, but, that's history for one.

Though all Hornung's Raffles stories are in the public domain, and he starred in seven movies before WWII alone, he seems to have been mostly forgotten by non-Holmes fans in recent decades, and there don't seem to have been significant reprints of his adventures, which is a shame, because Hornung's prose is quite equal to Doyle's, and the fact that heroes are thieves gives many of the stories an element of suspense and personal stakes Holmes' adventures sometimes lack. I highly encourage all Holmes fans to check out the stories in order of publication, whether in print or via public domain ebook.

Fun tidbit: in 2009, I personally asked Nicholas "Wrath of Khan/The Seven-Per-Cent Solution" Meyer if he might ever write a fourth Holmes pastiche, and he said he hadn't ruled it out, but hadn't thought of a sufficiently tempting hook. He genially dismissed my suggestion of a Raffles crossover as too obvious (besides, it's been done more than once since 1932), and said he thought the authorship behind The Protocols of the Elders of Zion might be more promising, though he didn't yet have a particular Holmes angle in mind.

Back
Top Bottom