• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Sukaiwaka Fortress, The:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sukaiwaka Fortress, The:

Well thought out homage edit from an editor renowned for jests and wordplay.
Take the Kurosawa film that inspired Star Wars, replace the score with John Williams music, and insert - now and then - sly Star Wars references and quotes.
More than that, remain true to the original film, The Hidden Fortress.
Probably not nearly as easy as it sounds.

Video - 1280 X 534 AVC. For an older film, the image is sharp. There are any number of trims throughout and I did not notice a one. Usually cutting a beat or two from a scene to quicken the pace.

Audio - 256kbps AAC. 2 Channel stereo. The commentary track is 128 kbps, also stereo. Subtitles, rejoice!
I wasn’t listening for problems and never caught any. I watched via home theater, room speakers cranked up.

Narrative - Spot on. Kurosawa or chambara buffs will find a fresh take on an old friend. Faithful, reverent, though the surprise factor is there throughout. A longish film, yet never dull or boring.

Enjoyment - Very much so. I have viewed the original source a couple of times on large screen, courtesy the museum. I caught many, most, I don’t know, of the Star Wars inserts. Probably not all, I was too busy enjoying the film from a different perspective.

There are a number of nice bonus treats I want to mention. The trailer for this is a plum, easily better than 99% of what major studios release. It gives a nice feel for the story without stumbling into the Cliff Notes synopsis. ssj provides a retranslated interview with director Kurosawa about time-hopping. A giggle or two, likely fun to create, but not essential. More to the fore is an outstanding commentary, discussing background, editing choices, dialogue tweaks, plot shuffling. Potential editors, take note, equate this with an entertaining college lecture you could learn from. The commentary also contains a mischievous prank from ssj.

When this edit was first announced, I anticipated a mocking lampoon. That it became this wonderful alternative version was most refreshing. For fans of both directors, this is a worthwhile watch. Readers who prefer edits off the beaten path definitely - definitely - check this one out.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/the-sukaiwaka-fortress/discussions/9196/

Back
Top Bottom