If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR
(11-20-2019, 06:37 PM)Canon Editor Wrote: I was kind of awaiting your review. Thanks Gaith. 

I'm honored! Smile

(11-20-2019, 06:37 PM)Canon Editor Wrote: I actually agree with you, to the extent that I don't believe Dark Fate had any great moments at all... it was fine or good at times, but never great.

Fair enough. As a huge T2 fan, maybe I was a bit high from finally seeing Linda and an R-rating back, but, while they were OTT, I rather enjoyed the freeway and detainment center battles, and really enjoyed the sequence in Carl's cabin. I assumed that after three good terminators, Arnold would finally be playing the human Model 101 template, so the reveal of Carl's character was a thrilling surprise, the scene where Sarah talked about forgetting John's face was great, and Carl's calculation that humanity will probably devolve into barbarism even without a nuclear/machine war was a wonderfully subtle callback to Uncle Bob's pessimistic observation that "it's in [our] nature to destroy [ourselves]." For a few minutes, it seemed as though we were about to head off in a bold new direction... instead, we got a replay of T3's second half with Genisys' Pops 2.0.

Side note: in the end credits, there's a footage credit for Sin Nombre, Cary Fukunaga's 2009 masterpiece thriller about Latinos trying to cross the US-Mexican border; Dark Fare must have borrowed a few shots. Sin Nombre indeed feels more in line with Terminator 1 than arguably any of the non-Cameron films; and I can't recommend it enough. Sadly, it never got a US blu release, but it can be rented from the usual streaming sites.

(11-20-2019, 08:18 PM)bionicbob Wrote: T3 is a far better film imo.  Like you, I loved onscreen dynamic of Stahl and Danes.
Too much humour, but Uncanny Antman edit takes care of that.

You probably know this, but Mostow says in his commentary that that film's humor was intended to help lull the audience into a false sense of security, so the ending would take them by surprise. Indeed, I watched UA's edit once and didn't much care for it; I personally enjoy T3 on its own terms, humor and all. (Except, of course, for the audience hand-holding moment where John thinks the T-850 is Uncle Bob. That moment just sucks balls.) It's a solid popcorn flick to be sure, but isn't great enough to make the downer ending worth the voyage without the humor, IMO.
[+] 1 user Likes Gaith's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Nic - 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-24-2017, 12:57 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 06-24-2018, 03:53 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Q2 - 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Gaith - 11-21-2019, 06:00 PM