If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR
(11-04-2019, 12:10 PM)TMBTM Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 11:34 AM)bionicbob Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 06:38 PM)bionicbob Wrote:  

SPOILER AHEAD:
In a way I understand people being angry but it's not exactly like killing Newt at the beginning of Alien 3 for me.
If we take as a basis that Sarah changed the future (a thing I would not have done myself but that's another debat) then John becomes disposable. He can be killed because the future (and so the story) does not need him anymore.
I will not lie, at the end of the opening scene I truely thought that by the end of the movie we were gonna see John come back in a way or another. When the characters started talking about the girl as the new definitive leader I thought... oh... bye John. I don't like that scenario BUT it does not negate the events of Terminator 2. They just went with the story that Sarah succeded in changing the future (but it's a new future where humans are also fucked the same...how convenient for a soft reboot...!) and in that future John does not have a place. So in a way what Sarah thought was a victory at the end of T2 was condemning his son to die.
All this to say that you can somehow rationalize why John has to die without making T2 totaly meaningless.
Hope this can calm you a bit Wink

Those are valid points.  I am a wee bit calmer... LOL

But....  Tongue

T3 established Judgement Day in some form is inevitable, so I did not have any real issue with that plot point. But it also cemented that John Connor is still essential to humanity's survival.  (and yes, I know in this new reality T3 is null and void... which is another point of contention for me... lol.)

However, Dark Fate now says that the Messiah/Savior is disposable and can be replaced.  Sure, the new Leader of Humanity is still going to be trained by Sarah Connor but still....?  

Again, I think it could have worked if it was better written.  There were a couple of nice scenes (Sarah can not remember what John looks like...) but mostly it felt forced rather than earned. 

Mostly the weakness of this movie is lazy, unoriginal writing.  This is just T2 recycled.  There is so many things you could do with this franchise, and they do not include half-assed reboots....

okay, going back to watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles.   Big Grin
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 1 user Likes bionicbob's post

Messages In This Thread
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Nic - 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-24-2017, 12:57 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 06-24-2018, 03:53 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Q2 - 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by bionicbob - 11-04-2019, 01:11 PM