If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR
Don't really like the look of the cinematography. Still, I'll remain cautiously optimistic for the meantime.
"Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be."

Bhagavad Gita 2:12
Looks fun and exciting! 

Of course, it raises questions (Are these spoilers if the moments are in the trailer? Well, I'll put the tags around it anyway for now, since I'm also mentioning moments in other Terminator movies and deleted scenes):

1) Who's the new young woman who's apparently part robot, and more to the point, why is she now the new hope for humanity instead of John Connor? And where is he? (Mind you, the movies haven't really gotten John right once yet, so I can't complain too much.)

2) Which films is it keeping continuity with? Cameron said that he loved Genesys and considered it the true third film in the series, but it wreaked havoc on the timeline, and it was another critical and box-office disappointment. I'm guessing that, once again, Terminator 1 and 2 are canon, and everything else is being disregarded.

3) What's with the old Arnie? Is this another case like in Genesys, where a Terminator was sent back ages ago and has lived a really long time at this point, being reprogrammed to help Sarah? But then it looks like he's living in a house. There was a deleted scene from T3 where we saw a human soldier that became the basis for the robot models. Are they revisiting the idea? It's a gag in T3 where he has a silly country accent instead of Arnie's voice, but since it's only a deleted scene, they could discard that part of it, and still have Sarah become friends with a soldier who becomes the basis for the Terminators.

4) And, of course, the age-old question: What's the MPAA rating going to be? Mind you, my problems with Salvation and Genesys don't have anything to do with the PG-13 rating on each. But a lot of fans are going to be mad if the movie doesn't get an R, especially since they were promised an R for Genesys but it didn't happen anyway. Nonetheless, fans mostly got over their frustration with Venom not getting an R rating, turning it into a big hit. But in that case, there were no earlier R-rated Venom movies to compare it to. We've seen fans respond positively to movies that got a bump up in ratings (Star Wars going from PG to PG-13), but we've yet to see a franchise that went down in MPAA ratings and retained the favor of the fans. Frankly, I'd like to see if someone could actually pull it off.

Anyway, all just interesting things to think about. But I'm looking forward to this, especially

the return of Sarah Connor!
(05-23-2019, 09:08 PM)TomH1138 Wrote:

1) Who's the new young woman who's apparently part robot, and more to the point, why is she now the new hope for humanity instead of John Connor? And where is he? (Mind you, the movies haven't really gotten John right once yet, so I can't complain too much.)

This is the most interesting stuff to me, I think it's likely that John Connor was Terminated (or was never born, if T2 is out, which I doubt), like a flip on T3. I don't think robo human lady is the new JC, I think she's the new Kyle Reese counterpart and the present day dark haired woman is the new John/savior character.

The planes kissing actually made me laugh. The Terminator movies all just have to have that big vehicle moment after T2 did the mack truck motorcycle chase.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I'm still optimistic too, even though this trailer was pretty average.
The music choice didn't help at all...
I love me some Bjork but neither the original nor that cover could work for this trailer.
"Always in motion is the future"
My instagramMy BLog - All my fanedits at IFDB - Q&A with TMBTM (from 2012) 
I've still never seen a Terminator film. I should really get on that.
Mega Man is best game. 
(05-24-2019, 06:58 AM)jrWHAG42 Wrote: I've still never seen a Terminator film. I should really get on that.

I'd say go with these versions

The Terminator - Color Regrade - by Dek Rollins

Terminator 2 - 2015 Blu-Ray
[+] 1 user Likes Junglist Paja's post
(05-23-2019, 09:49 PM)addiesin Wrote:

This is the most interesting stuff to me, I think it's likely that John Connor was Terminated (or was never born, if T2 is out, which I doubt), like a flip on T3. I don't think robo human lady is the new JC, I think she's the new Kyle Reese counterpart and the present day dark haired woman is the new John/savior character.

Ah, I see. That makes sense.

It was very heavily implied at the end of Genesys that John Connor might not be born after all. In the new timeline, Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor didn't fall in love and conceive John within a few short hours of knowing each other, and they saw that this timeline's version of John became a villain, which would hardly encourage them to become a couple and start making babies. If Cameron is keeping Genesys as canon, then that would certainly be the natural following point.

I expect I'll like something about this movie, as I've found something to enjoy in all of them so far. The low point for me is probably Salvation, and even that one had an interesting premise and some nice visuals. And I'm not such a hardcore fan that the filmmakers have ever enraged me with their creative choices. Even with Genesys, I just laughed at the complete lunacy of it all. I'm not as invested as I am in, say, Star Wars. So whatever they do, I'll probably get a kick out of it.
(05-23-2019, 09:08 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: 2) Which films is it keeping continuity with? Cameron said that he loved Genesys and considered it the true third film in the series, but it wreaked havoc on the timeline, and it was another critical and box-office disappointment. I'm guessing that, once again, Terminator 1 and 2 are canon, and everything else is being disregarded.
Yeah, this is what they have said.

(05-23-2019, 09:08 PM)TomH1138 Wrote: 3) [REDACTED] There was a deleted scene from T3 where we saw [REDACTED], but since it's only a deleted scene, they could discard that part of it
It doesn't matter if the scene was deleted or not because, as you already guessed above, T3 doesn't count at all anyway.
Happy to see some interest in the movie. 

Indeed, T3, 4 and 5 are not being considered canon, as this is a direct sequel to T2. 

For those worried, Cameron has confirmed the R-rating yesterday.
[+] 1 user Likes Canon Editor's post
The first trailer did zero to to gain my interest.  

But this newest one makes me think "maybe this might be fun?".... (mostly because of Linda Hamilton)

Though honestly, could they not do something ORIGINAL with the franchise at this point?  Another time travel/change the future movie...sigh...
Salvation may have had some flaws, but at least it tried something new.

But hey, maybe there will be some big fresh new twist to make it all worthwhile...? 

So who do you think the girl is they are trying to protect?
John Connor's daughter?   We know Edward Furlong has a role in the movie, so I was surprised they did not include him the latest trailer.
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 1 user Likes bionicbob's post