If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR

^ I saw that MovieBob pitch the other day, and consider it terrible. Interesting and inventive, yes, but terrible nonetheless.

Anyhow, my take: I generally believe, as a matter of artistic theory, that fictional worlds can be extended in interesting ways forever. Which isn't to say we should have endless stories about any given character, but if you expand and switch things up enough, and aren't beholden to a particular character of even genre, you can find interesting stories anywhere. The MCU is the perfect example of this - we start with Iron Man, then meet his father in The First Avenger, then follow his friend Peggy in two TV seasons, neither of which have anything to do with the story of Iron Man 1. (And, of course, that's just one branch-off of many.)

The Terminator franchise, however, strikes me as the notable exception to that rule. No, I don't want to see any more of the Connors - and I'm a guy who unapologetically loves T3 in its theatrical form. No, I don't want to see more future war/time travel shenanigans. No, I don't want the Sarah and John Connor Chronicles, with its teenage John crushing on a sexy female robot. Do not want.

Of course, in his orginal T2 script, Cameron figured the future human Resistance would be largely South American, as there would have been comparatively few nuclear targets/strikes in that neck of the Southern Hemisphere. So now that I type this, I can actually start to picture a movie about a badass woman growing up in the jungles of Brazil or what-not, and enlisting in a suicidal trip to North America for an assault on Skynet, ending with the original T-800 being sent back to T1. (Just how the T-1000 was sent back, and why it wasn't also sent to 1985, strikes me as best left completely unexplained.) In other words, such a movie needn't directly reference T2 at all.

Damnit - guess I thought of a possible one last film in spite of myself. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Nic - 01-21-2017, 07:15 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Gaith - 01-21-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 01-24-2017, 12:57 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 06-24-2018, 03:53 AM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by ssj - 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM
RE: JAMES CAMERON RETURNS TO TERMINATOR - by Q2 - 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM