• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ What the hell is that? :D

81rQP8KnLrL._SX522_.jpg

'Berlin Alexanderplatz', Fassbinder's 15.5 hour TV movie set in the Weimar Republic is getting an HD release from Second Sight (Region B):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berlin-Alexanderplatz-Limited-Boxset-Blu-Ray/dp/B074R3ZMZ

I rented the first disc of the old DVD set years ago from LoveFilm and found the visual quality poor, so never watched the rest. I'd be very curious to see this upgrade.

It's Limited to 2000 copies only and includes a 60-page book. It's pricey at £55/$75 but the limited print run might make this a good investment, if nothing else.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ What the hell is that? :D

Romero's co-writer filmed a bunch of new scenes for the movie for the 30th anniversary, to universal critical rejection.  I've never actually seen that version, but I'm sure not gonna pass up a chance to remind people of its existence for a laugh.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
woodfall-films-disc-packshot-2017.jpg.jpg

Eight 1960s "kitchen sink drama" films (2 versions of one of them) and 6 newly remastered for this boxset. 4 are in the BFI's "Top 100 British films ever" list and the other four are Palme d'Or, BAFTA and Oscar celebrated movies. So it's an all-killer, no-filler collection but at £80, it's expensive. However, it's good value when you notice Criterion are releasing just two of these new 4K restorations for about £60. Shame the boxart is a bit rubbish.

- Look Back in Anger (Tony Richardson, 1959)
- The Entertainer (Tony Richardson, 1960)
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (Karel Reisz, 1960)
- A Taste of Honey (Tony Richardson, 1961)
- The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, 1962)
- Tom Jones (Tony Richardson, 1963) (New 4K digital restorations of the original theatrical version of the film and the 1989 director's cut)
- Girl with Green Eyes (Desmond Davis, 1964)
- The Knack...and how to get it (Richard Lester, 1965)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woodfall-Revolution-British-Cinema-Blu-ray/dp/B079N1HQDK/

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
shout factory is releasing a collectors edition
 of wild at heart

bonus features include

• NEW Interview With Novelist Barry Gifford
  • Extended And Deleted Scenes (76 Minutes)
  • Love, Death, Elvis And Oz: The Making Of Wild At Heart
  • Dell's Lunch Counter: Extended Interviews
  • Specific Spontaneity: Focus On David Lynch
  • Lynch On The DVD Process
  • Original 1990 Making Of EPK
  • Original Theatrical Trailer
  • TV Spots
  • Image Gallery
plus a rolled poster featuring the new artwork

WAH.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
shout factory is releasing a collectors edition
 of wild at heart

WAH.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Already have mine on pre-order. I really hope this has the uncensored head explosion.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
im hoping the deleted/ extended scenes have been properly restored
and not just a repeat of the lime green box set from years ago

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rick Wakeman's Prog score for the 1925 Silent Lon Chaney 'Phantom of the Opera' has just been released on DVD for the first time (plus 2xCDs). Intro by Christopher Lee, score synced to restored copy of the movie, plus a (no doubt) witty Commentary-track from Rick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHANTOM-OPERA-2CD-DVD/dp/B01MZ1V09J/

51sDGXrAysL.jpg

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OooOoooOOOoOoOoO - I had no idea he did a score for it. Being a Yes fan, this definitely intrigues me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
so just recieved my wild at heart blu ray
sadly the deleted/extended scenes are the exact same quality
that was on the Lime Green box set years ago, they havent been cleaned up, color corrected
at all., its just standard dvd quality.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
34182341_sa.jpg

Yay! Francis Ford Coppola's little-seen 1988 Lucasfilm production 'Tucker: The Man and His Dream' is coming to HD/Blu-Ray for the first time in August. I imported the NTSC DVD years ago and it's one of his best films IMO. Apparently it will include all supplements from that release plus new deleted scenes. Might only be a Region A release?

https://www.amazon.com/TUCKER-MAN-HIS-DREAM-Blu-ray/dp/B07DXSK4XQ/

I might get my rare OOP DVD onto ebay while the getting is good ;) .

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
43402467192_896518a5a3_b.jpg

39 Ingmar Bergman films in one "home film festival" blu-ray boxset from Criterion in November. $240 is only $6 a film (when they might retail individually for $20-30) but it's still a lot. Not sure I could justify that one to my wallet sadly.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

29579933398_5c9f6f1d79_z.jpg

Also Kino Lorber are finally releasing the Gene Hackman/Danny Glover movie 'BAT 21' on blu-ray for the first time in September. This Vietnam movie was on hard rotation in my VHS player back in the day but I've been waiting for a blu-ray release for years to reacquaint myself with it.

https://www.kinolorber.com/product/bat-21-blu-ray

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if this counts, being in the "Movies" section, but this thread seemed the most appropriate place to post. 

mZgCmar.jpg

Fans have been asking for a blu ray release of Avatar: The Last Airbender for years - not just to see it in HD, but also because the DVD's looked awful even for SD. I pretty much gave up hope when it was stated that the creators had no intention of releasing it in HD. 

I heard there was a digital only HD release some time ago, but it wasn't meant to be much different from the DVD. This is thankfully a different transfer.

The blu-ray came out last month, but I've only just stumbled across it. I've also had fanedit ideas for it for a while, so I'm glad I delayed moving forward with them. 

Apparently the US and UK versions are exactly the same (discs are region free) with the exception of packaging. The US version apparently has a thinner case, as well as alternate inner art:

maxresdefault.jpg

From what I've read, bonus features are carried over from the DVD. Audio is lossless, but is only available in stereo. Picture apparently isn't perfect, but is still a massive step up from the DVD.

Top Bottom