• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Timely...

81dh2HxpzyL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/George-Romero-Between-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B073LF8C98/

4K scans and new commentaries on 3 films that are not as well known as his Dead stuff (Still no Martin :( ).

Not so timely (because I just watched these recently ;) )...

81oIayKUb3L._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-Keaton-Sherlock-General-Steamboat/dp/B0748YD6HM/

Again new 4K scans. Usually they don't put all the best movies in the same boxset, so this a great package.

Another Harryhausen boxset from Indicator (Vol 1 of a series?)...

813C9FbogZL._SX522_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderful-Worlds-Ray-Harryhausen-One/dp/B071VT648S/

I picked up their Sinbad set recently and it's very nice.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Harryhausen's stop motion. My dad introduced me to his Sinbad ventures when I was young. I need to invest in those.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
For anyone on the fence regarding Mask of the Phantasm's Blu-Ray: go for it.

I watched the 4:3 version.  It now includes a 30-second title card explaining the movie's production history and why this "TV version" exists.  Picture quality is excellent, and a massive improvement over the DVD.  Colors are vivid, with strong inky blacks for night and bright whites for the Joker's complexion.  Superb contrast.  The movie was remastered from the negative, as opposed to the original animation cells.  This means there's some dust, grain (no obvious signs of DNR), and a few shots that appear to be (unintentionally) out of focus.  Depending on your point of view, that means this is either faithful to the film making process, or a sub-optimal remaster.  Either way, this is the best the film has ever looked, and probably ever will.

Sound is a DTS stereo track.  Maybe it's just unclear memory on my part, but I think it sounded better than the DVD release.  Could be a higher bitrate or less compressed, perhaps.  The lack of a 5.1 remix is lamentable, but it sounded great in Pro Logic II with lots of channel separation.  The foreign language dubs present in DVD versions are absent, if that's a factor for you.  No foreign language subtitles, either.  The English captions are in all caps.  

Extras: Nope.  There's the trailer.  Menu's a static image of the poster (which I honestly prefer to spoilerific or overly lengthy animated menus anyway).  There isn't even a dedicated chapter select menu.  There's no easy way to swap between the two aspect ratios - selecting either from the menu will start the movie from the beginning.  I would imagine it'd have been easy to rig up angle-swapping between the two.  It'd have been interesting for comparison's sake, if nothing else.

This isn't the big celebratory extras-laden double dip the movie certainly deserves, but it's the best way to experience the movie to date.  If you're a fan of this one - or somehow haven't seen it yet and enjoy Batman in any capacity - go for it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Sounds good. Hopefully a Region-B release is planned at some point.

A (possibly UK Tesco exclusive) "big-sleeve" edition of GOTG2...

186093_front.jpg

These Disney 12" gatefold releases really should come with some vinyl to make the idea work and this one finally does. A 3-track EP with The Hasselhoff track on the A-side. Tempting but the big price increase is putting me off.

THE_THING_SLIPCASE_UK_2D-932x1172.png

This November Arrow release of 'The Thing' is described as being a...

"Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey"

...some hopefully we'll finally get a version with correct colours and good detail. It also comes with the original mono-mix as an audio option and a new feature-length doc.

I think this may be an essential purchase :) .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Mask of the Phantasm must have sold well, because Batman: The Animated Series is getting a Blu-Ray release in 2018!

This will probably be North of $150. Maybe they'll do single seasons. Like the DVDs, that will probably be the only way I can get this.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I picked up a copy yesterday. I get the feeling that this is going to be the only way this show is released on physical media. Target has a an exclusive deal with Netflix for all things Stranger Things.

The package is a little larger than an actual VHS, because discs are wider, but overall it's a lot cooler than I expected. Here are a few pics:

AOcSCP3l.jpg

XdSwIXLl.jpg

and a size comparison to an actual VHS cassette:

FDQC9Bil.jpg

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, that's pretty cool. I may have to pick it up for the design alone.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The package is a little larger than an actual VHS, because discs are wider

I bet it's to prevent someone from putting it into a VCR and breaking it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm... if I lived in the US, I'd get a copy of 'Stranger Things' from Target for sure but I don't want it enough to pay 2nd-party import prices to Europe. The target website says it's store only, so no way to buy this first hand.

Is there concrete confirmation that this will not get another release anywhere, or just speculation?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Is there concrete confirmation that this will not get another release anywhere, or just speculation?

I've been trying to find some concrete info, but not finding any. Based on what I've seen about Target being the exclusive retailer for all Stranger Things merchandise, and zero mention of this being available anywhere else, I suspect this is the only physical release that the US will get. Since Target is a US company, I wouldn't be surprised if this got a different release outside the US. But it's Netflix, so who knows...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I suspect this is the only physical release that the US will get. Since Target is a US company, I wouldn't be surprised if this got a different release outside the US. But it's Netflix, so who knows...

Probably. As shown by 'Star Trek: Discovery' being on Netflix almost everywhere, except the US. When Netflix is concerned, who knows what the policy is.

This insanely expensive 32-disc Olympic Films boxset is on it's way in December from Criterion...

81hkaDhUHLL._SL1500_.jpg

53 films including a 4K scan of Leni Riefenstahl's controversial 'Olympia'. I just got it on DVD to watch as part of my 1001-films endeavor. I bought the best reviewed DVD copy I could find and even that is truly dreadful (we are talking sub VHS). I can't spare $260 to get this boxset but hopefully just Olympia will find it's way to VOD or something, separately.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooooh, if only I had $94. Kino Lorber are releasing a 12-disc blu-ray set in November, containing all of Fritz Lang's silent works in HD:

26364751319_0ab96ebf40_b.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P5XHQM

There is an Amicus collection coming to blu-ray in December, featuring the infamous Werewolf-whodunnit 'The beast must die' in HD for the first time!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P5XHQM/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P5XHQM/

All 3 star Peter Cushing. It comes with a bonus disc featuring an hour of vintage Amicus trailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Amicus-Collection-Blu-ray-Peter-Cushing/dp/B076M6H482

15831_30.jpg

Just released, is a new HD restoration of 'The Lost World'. Not the Spielberg film, the 1925 Silent original, with it's groundbreaking pre-King-Kong stop-motion and matte FX. Conan Doyle himself even introduces the movie. I recently saw the current/old VHS level transfer and still enjoyed it but so seeing it on blu-ray should be a treat.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Deluxe-Blu-ray/dp/B071LTF6TN

This will definitely be on Christmas list ;) .

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh wow. I'm going to have to check out that new Lost World disc. very cool

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a huge fan of Doyle's novel, I'm also very interested in the Lost World restoration, but while I don't doubt the company is charging what it must to make such efforts viable, even with such appealing extras, $35 for any movie (not starring myself) is, I fear, a buck too far. :p

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Ooooh, if only I had $94. Kino Lorber are releasing a 12-disc blu-ray set in November, containing all of Fritz Lang's silent works in HD:

12 DVD (BluRay) set for $94.00 strikes me as extremely reasonable.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
TM2YC said:

12 DVD (BluRay) set for $94.00 strikes me as extremely reasonable.

It is indeed very good value for the amount of films you get but it's still an expensive purchase for me.

Gaith said:
As a huge fan of Doyle's novel, I'm also very interested in the Lost World restoration, but... $35 for any movie (not starring myself) is, I fear, a buck too far. :p

Yes, that on the other hand is over priced but I'm very tempted.  Hopefully I'm not the only one here and somebody will create an alternate fanedited audio track featuring John William's JP scores synced up... hint! :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
38509787216_5a69360179_c.jpg

The infamously out-of-copyright 'Night of the Living Dead' gets a legit HD release from Criterion in February:

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Criterion-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B077H8N7PP/

It says the new 4K scan and restored audio was supervised by Romero, so this must have been in the pipeline before he died. Also includes never-before-seen Workprint cut, 16mm dailies, two commentaries and more.

Top Bottom