If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Interesting and unusual DVD/Blu-Ray releases (News)
Hmmm... if I lived in the US, I'd get a copy of 'Stranger Things' from Target for sure but I don't want it enough to pay 2nd-party import prices to Europe. The target website says it's store only, so no way to buy this first hand.

Is there concrete confirmation that this will not get another release anywhere, or just speculation?
(10-23-2017, 05:12 PM)TM2YC Wrote: Is there concrete confirmation that this will not get another release anywhere, or just speculation?

I've been trying to find some concrete info, but not finding any. Based on what I've seen about Target being the exclusive retailer for all Stranger Things merchandise, and zero mention of this being available anywhere else, I suspect this is the only physical release that the US will get. Since Target is a US company, I wouldn't be surprised if this got a different release outside the US. But it's Netflix, so who knows...
(10-24-2017, 12:50 PM)ThrowgnCpr Wrote: I suspect this is the only physical release that the US will get. Since Target is a US company, I wouldn't be surprised if this got a different release outside the US. But it's Netflix, so who knows...

Probably. As shown by 'Star Trek: Discovery' being on Netflix almost everywhere, except the US. When Netflix is concerned, who knows what the policy is.

This insanely expensive 32-disc Olympic Films boxset is on it's way in December from Criterion...

[Image: 81hkaDhUHLL._SL1500_.jpg]

53 films including a 4K scan of Leni Riefenstahl's controversial 'Olympia'. I just got it on DVD to watch as part of my 1001-films endeavor. I bought the best reviewed DVD copy I could find and even that is truly dreadful (we are talking sub VHS). I can't spare $260 to get this boxset but hopefully just Olympia will find it's way to VOD or something, separately.
Ooooh, if only I had $94. Kino Lorber are releasing a 12-disc blu-ray set in November, containing all of Fritz Lang's silent works in HD:

[Image: 26364751319_0ab96ebf40_b.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P5XHQM

There is an Amicus collection coming to blu-ray in December, featuring the infamous Werewolf-whodunnit 'The beast must die' in HD for the first time!
[/url]
[Image: Amicus-Collection-4BD-3D-1-min.png]
[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075P5XHQM/]

All 3 star Peter Cushing. It comes with a bonus disc featuring an hour of vintage Amicus trailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Amicus-Collection...B076M6H482

[Image: 15831_30.jpg]

Just released, is a new HD restoration of 'The Lost World'. Not the Spielberg film, the 1925 Silent original, with it's groundbreaking pre-King-Kong stop-motion and matte FX. Conan Doyle himself even introduces the movie. I recently saw the current/old VHS level transfer and still enjoyed it but so seeing it on blu-ray should be a treat.

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Deluxe...B071LTF6TN

This will definitely be on Christmas list Wink .
oh wow. I'm going to have to check out that new Lost World disc. very cool
Dennis Hopper's 1971 cult classic "The Last Movie" to get 4K restoration and theatrical/Blu-ray release in 2018.

I'd never have thought this lost gem would land 4K restoration and Blu-ray.
  Completed      ITW
As a huge fan of Doyle's novel, I'm also very interested in the Lost World restoration, but while I don't doubt the company is charging what it must to make such efforts viable, even with such appealing extras, $35 for any movie (not starring myself) is, I fear, a buck too far. Tongue
(11-03-2017, 10:55 AM)TM2YC Wrote: Ooooh, if only I had $94. Kino Lorber are releasing a 12-disc blu-ray set in November, containing all of Fritz Lang's silent works in HD:

12 DVD (BluRay) set for $94.00 strikes me as extremely reasonable.
(11-03-2017, 05:23 PM)Vultural Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 10:55 AM)TM2YC Wrote: Ooooh, if only I had $94. Kino Lorber are releasing a 12-disc blu-ray set in November, containing all of Fritz Lang's silent works in HD:

12 DVD (BluRay) set for $94.00 strikes me as extremely reasonable.

It is indeed very good value for the amount of films you get but it's still an expensive purchase for me.

(11-03-2017, 05:12 PM)Gaith Wrote: As a huge fan of Doyle's novel, I'm also very interested in the Lost World restoration, but... $35 for any movie (not starring myself) is, I fear, a buck too far. Tongue

Yes, that on the other hand is over priced but I'm very tempted.  Hopefully I'm not the only one here and somebody will create an alternate fanedited audio track featuring John William's JP scores synced up... hint! Cool
[Image: 38509787216_5a69360179_c.jpg]

The infamously out-of-copyright 'Night of the Living Dead' gets a legit HD release from Criterion in February:

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-Crit...077H8N7PP/

It says the new 4K scan and restored audio was supervised by Romero, so this must have been in the pipeline before he died. Also includes never-before-seen Workprint cut, 16mm dailies, two commentaries and more.