• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Making and Unpacking RAR files with Mac

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RARExpanderLogo.jpg

Making and Unpacking RAR files with Mac

As with most software for Mac there is limited choice. I am sure there are other programs for making and unpacking RAR files but these have been working very well for me.

Making RAR Files

SimplyRAR

SimplyRAR is freeware and does the job of making RAR files very easy. At the moment it does not have the option to create split 200mb RAR files but there is talk that the next update will have this feature.

SimplyRAR.jpg

Simply drag your folder into the window and use the options below to choose compression method and what size you want the split your folder.

Download Link - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21430

RarMachine

RarMachine is a very simply program for making rar files. The bonus of this program is that 200mb rar files can be made. There is a free trail period and then a charge of $8 is required.

Rarmachine.jpg

Download link - http://www.candyware.net/RarMachine.html

Unpacking RAR Files

RarExpander

RarExpander is the best tool for opening compressed RAR files on a Mac. It will ask for a password if uncompressing the files requires one. It is also Freeware.

Screenshot.jpg

Download Link - http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/

i just have to say (because i just had to deal with it today) that stuffit is the worst program ever. they haven't updated their unstuff program for linux in what appears to be 17 years (1992, from last sources) and STILL DO NOT HAVE SUPPORT FOR SITX FILES. WTF.

what good is a proprietary compression format (like we needed another...) that DOESN'T support a free unpack option for windows, mac and linux? the answer is nothing. no good.

Why is RAR Expander better than UnRARX or TheUnarchiver for unpacking? I'm not doubting that it is, but UnRARX especially works like a charm (and it gives you a good error log if something's wrong with your files).

dudes (and dudettes, if you're out there):

what applications do you use to cut a large file down to size, but in greater than 100MB chunks? i'm thinking of taking a file several GBs in size and cutting it into 800-900MB pieces for easier downloading (keeping it below the 1GB toll limit of MU).

tenks in advance!

If you're using WinRAR it's quite simple. Just select the files you want to add to an archive, then click the Add button. A window will pop up and in the bottom left of the window is Split to volumes, bytes. Just use a Bitrate Calculator to figure out what the byte size is from the desired megabyte size. Example: 500MB is equal to 524288000 bytes. Put that number in the Split to volumes, bytes and let it go.

Pretty much the same for 7-zip (freeware). Change the split-to-volume size to whatever your needs are.

If this is for a fanedit, please make an md5/checksum as well.

thanks, reave and thunder!

editing on a mac, but my mac RAR program (forget its name) offers no such flexibility. will use a PC @ work for the dirty chop-chop deeds.

Wait for L8wrtr. He's one of our resident Mac experts. He could probably shed some light on the answer for you.

thunderclap said:
Example: 500MB is equal to 524288000 bytes. Put that number in the Split to volumes, bytes and let it go.

Actually I found you can just put 500Mb (or any other number of Mb) into WinRAR and that will work. No need to do the conversion.

cool. can't do that with my mac RAR program. even though i enter some larger-than-100MB figure, it goes back to 100MB by default.

it's a cruel world. :p

I think you can do this with command line tools. Check out MacRar. The command should be pretty simple.

thread moved and merged. Please search before posting, and be specific with questions (OS, etc). The thread I merged this with (see first post) offers a suggestion for creating rar files greater than 100MB. Though it is not freeware, and outdated, at least one possibility exists.

Sorry for getting to this party late.

RarMachine is an excellent application for both creating and unpacking rar files. It also allows you to divide it into any size you want (I tend to use 200mb bundles) and also password protect the archives should you need. I cannot recall what I paid for it, looks like it's $8. It's been bulletproof for me.

www.candyware.net/RarMachine.html

Take notice of their note at the bottom to ensure you go after the version that is right for your OS.

Thanks L8. Good to know that RarMachine is still a good tool. $8 seems well worth the price...

RarMachine would make a great nerd rock band name.

Back
Top Bottom