• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Pitch shifting dialogue in existing mix

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For my edit of TPM, I'd love to raise the pitch of Natalie Portman's voice to roughly match how it sounds in the theatrical trailers. I've seen several mock ups over the years for this, and all of them sound seamless.
When I raise the pitch it leaves a very awkward jump in the soundtrack, even with a crossfade. If I only select the center channel, the non-pitch-shifted vocals in the other channels makes her sound like a weird robot.
Does anyone know the secret to doing this properly? I wonder if those who have done this before have used something to only alter the vocal frequencies and leave the rest of the audio alone. If anyone can give me some pointers on this, I'd love to include this film-wide change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
For my edit of TPM, I'd love to raise the pitch of Natalie Portman's voice to roughly match how it sounds in the theatrical trailers. I've seen several mock ups over the years for this, and all of them sound seamless.
When I raise the pitch it leaves a very awkward jump in the soundtrack, even with a crossfade. If I only select the center channel, the non-pitch-shifted vocals in the other channels makes her sound like a weird robot.
Does anyone know the secret to doing this properly? I wonder if those who have done this before have used something to only alter the vocal frequencies and leave the rest of the audio alone. If anyone can give me some pointers on this, I'd love to include this film-wide change.
[/]

What I did in my edit is I used Adobe Audition to change the pitch, then I would rescore parts that needed to be rescored after I replaced them in Premiere. But I never finished it so I don't know if I would encounter the same problem or not (if couldn't hide the music behind the raised pitch). I probably would.

There is a reason for the Queen's deep voice that I realized recently. She talks so low to make her seem older and hide that she is young. A bit like Batman and his throat cancer voice in the Dark Knight Trilogy. It's odd, but it works.

So it's okay if you or me can't make it sound good. It still works in the context of the movie. Maybe I will not do it, I don't know. It's something I'm thinking about.

Hope this helps :)

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It does, and thanks! It helps to know it's not a simple matter of throwing the secret switches.
Kudos to the work you did on it, because I had headphones and didn't notice a thing off about it.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hal9000 said:
It does, and thanks! It helps to know it's not a simple matter of throwing the secret switches.
Kudos to the work you did on it, because I had headphones and didn't notice a thing off about it.

Haha well thanks, but the video isn't rescored just so you know, it's the whole audio that's higher pitched.

It's okay though. I remember the first scenes with Queen Amidala were easy to rescore, and make seamless, though I only came as far as "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war" which was a little difficult, and I can't remember if I did that part successfully or not. I didn't come so far with the fan edit itself either before losing all my files.

I think it all can very easily and seamlessly be done, other than "I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war" which even that can be done I presume, though it might need Central Channel Extraction to isolate the dialogue, but by rescoring and some adjustments I think it can be done.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Andreas" has done a TON of this pitch shifting in his Ancient Lore edit and it sounds really good. Perhaps he could share some of his secrets? I've followed a similar approach as @"Masirimso17"  has mentioned. Working with Kylo Ren's voice change during the interrogation and conference scenes was somewhat difficult due to the moments when the score was present. I used the score to heal those tidbits. I'd be willing to help put if you send wave files.

Top Bottom