• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Public Domain Books

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently filling up my Kindle with as many free books as I can. I've almost got 300 without so much as spending a penny, mostly from just getting books in the public domain.

I was just wondering what you guys' favourite books from the public domain are? And if you have recommendations that I may not have already received.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The complete Sherlock Holmes is one massive tome of entertainment. 56 short-ish stories and 4 novels.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
I'm currently filling up my Kindle with as many free books as I can. I've almost got 300 without so much as spending a penny, mostly from just getting books in the public domain.

I was just wondering what you guys' favourite books from the public domain are? And if you have recommendations that I may not have already received.

Do you know Project Gutenberg? Good place to start.

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top

War of Worlds and The Time Machine are my favourites on that list.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a lot of old fairy tales and picaresque novels, mainly from Project Gutenberg. Unfortunately, I haven't found the time to read them yet.

Candide
Don Quixote
The 1001 Nights
The Canterbury Tales
The Decameron
The Facetious Nights of Straparola
The Fairy Tales of Charles Perrault
The Pentamerone
Tom Jones
Tristram Shandy

Of course, a lot of swashbuckling adventure novels are also public domain. Tarzan, John Carter, everything by Alexandre Dumas.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A portion of Edgar Rice Burroughs works are Public Domain.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
robert louis stephenson books.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I now have ~400 books on my e-reader, all without paying a single penny...

I'm gonna be reading for a whiiiiile.

EDIT: Add 2000 more to that... I've made a huge mistake.

Top Bottom