• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Arrival (2016)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw this movie yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I don't want to give anything away so spoiler tags for the rest of my thoughts on the film.

So I thought the pacing of this movie was pretty damn good. Structure as well. I like that they played with your expectations regarding the fairly well trod trope of using experiences from your past to help you in the present (Slumdog Millionaire is the first movie that comes to mind but I know there are plenty of others that have done this). So it was easy to assume everything with the daughter was flashbacks.

I also enjoyed that everything wasn't spoonfed to the viewers. After the bomb and the firefight between the rogue soldiers, we move on, no need for exposition that wraps up what happened in a nice bow. I'm sure there were some casualties and either those rogue soldiers were killed or arrested.

I liked that they showed the initial and gradual process of learning and communicating with the aliens and then bridged it with a montage to show the progress they've made. I'm aware montages are nothing new but I think it was well placed in the film.

As the movie progressed, I started to get a sick feeling that this was going to be similar to Interstellar and the aliens were gonna be the dead daughter communicating with the mother.

I know everyone got the "twist" (it's not really a twist IMO) at a different point in time. They didn't really hide it, in the opening scene Amy Adams is discussing beginnings and endings. But anyway, the clincher for me was when they were discussing non zero sum-game, and the flashforward to talking with her daughter and she responds "if you want science, talk to your father." That's when I pieced together that all the events with her daughter happened after the contact with the aliens and learning their language, because I realized Renner was her future husband.

Are there plotholes in this movie? I'm sure there are. But as far as paradoxes go in "time-travel" movies (although this isn't really time-travel, only in Amy Adams memories) this is fairly straightforward IMO. Once I mulled over the whole satelitte phone/Chinese general sequence for awhile I think I have a grasp on it.

The whole "we will need the humans help in 3000 years" I'm still unclear on though.

Overall a very good movie and it brings up interesting questions too.

Go watch it. Try not to get distracted by the weird accent that Forrest Whitaker occasionally adopts at random times throughout the movie.

arrival1.jpg

Did you posts pictures of Tommy Wiseau in the thread for "Room"?

Make a thread for "Room" and let's find out.

How has there been no further discussion of this amazing film?  Did my thread search let me down?

Anyway, amazing film.

I loved it. I still can't believe they made a big budget movie based on Fermat's principle. I enjoyed the short story but thought the script was very smart to make the daughter more of an emotional hook. Linguistics is a really interesting field, too. I like that the film gets into the way all science works. It's not always a problem with a simple answer. Defining the parameters is often the difficult, contentious part.

As someone who lost a child some ten years ago (albeit under completely different circumstances), I found the mother/daughter part of the story very powerful, as did my wife.  And of course the most powerful part is at the end, when you learn that she had the choice to have or not have her daughter despite the consequences for her entire family, and she chose to go through with it.

TVs Frink said:
As someone who lost a child some ten years ago (albeit under completely different circumstances), I found the mother/daughter part of the story very powerful, as did my wife.  And of course the most powerful part is at the end, when you learn that she had the choice to have or not have her daughter despite the consequences for her entire family, and she chose to go through with it.

What really makes me even more sad is thinking about how she also realizes that if she goes through with this, she will lose everything. Her daughter will die and her husband will leave her. She will be utterly alone. But she still goes through with it because the memories that she can build with her daughter are worth the pain that will come with her death. It is crazy how emotional this film was. It's probably tied with La La Land as my favorite movie of the year.

TVs Frink said:
I loved it. My wife and I watched it last night just after some house guests left. The house guests lost a child to cancer a few years back. So it was hard to not have them in mind while watching. I would not be surprised if it was written as a sort of catharsis for someone who had experienced such tragedy. This is my kind of sci-fi. I loved that in the end we are left thinking about our own lives and whether you'd do it all again knowing both the joy and the heartache. I know our house guest friends certainly would. Sorry for your loss, Frink. 

Just saw and quite enjoyed the movie. Pretty good, maybe not great, and one can quibble about certain details, but it probably contains as much good stuff as Contact, packed into a half-hour shorter runtime, which probably makes it the better film. (Although I haven't seen Contact in too long to make definitive pronouncements.) Speaking of which, from Contact to Gravity to Arrival, must all women-centric stars of hard sci-fi films have tragic backstories? (Yes, ahem-ahem, but it still more or less functions as one.) Apart from that, I'm kind of at a loss of things to really say about the movie, other than it's good and I liked it. And, Zeus have mercy on us if aliens come to Earth and ask to meet our leader now:(

Anyhow, I hate to keep on banging on about how worthless Star Dreck Beyond is (or do I?), but if the price we pay for more Trek movies being made at all is an endless procession of big-budget, mindless shoot-em-ups, while smaller films such as Arrival and Passengers and Ex Machina take far bigger risks and ask more provocative questions, then big-screen Trek can piss right off for all I care.   :mad:

---------------------------------​

Fun science discussion:

Haven't watched this one yet, but, unlike the lame-ass Nerdwriter1 video, it should be worth its time:

I finally watched this.

Wow, my mind is blown. This movie has shattered the concept of what a movie can and should be. Speechless.
I think the moment this really went beyond phenomenal was when Abbot and Costello save Louise and Ian. They knew there was a weapon. They knew Costello would die, and yet they chose to arrive. When the ending scenes finally play out, it's beautiful poetry in the choice she makes/made/is making. Just an incredible analysis of choice that really hits home.

Watching this with the family. As the opening shot of the first Alien ship comes into view my mother says completely serious, "It's not symmetrical. Fix that in your fanedits would you?"

lol :) fun times with the family. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom