• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

New to Fan editing: Guides/advice/etc

cubbyguy1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am new to fan editing. Can someone point me to some helpful guides whether on the forums here or elsewhere for getting started? Things I am wondering about are how to separate music/dialogue so that one can go about removing/inserting new audio, changing aspect ratios (if possible).... I know some things take time to learn and money to afford software. I have ideas mostly for Star Wars fan edits (like the rest of the world) and I want to get started before I die. My guess is I am the most inexperienced person here when it comes to editing. I've been on the site for years though and love the work everyone does. Fan edits are amazing.

Thanks

Before you even start to ask technical questions, get an editing software (I use Sony Vegas), then we can start talking about fan-editing.

wilhelm scream said:
Before you even start to ask technical questions, get an editing software (I use Sony Vegas), then we can start talking about fan-editing.

Yeah, I'd probably ignore that "advice" and anything else wilhelm scream says about "technical questions".

I'll try to brief with these answers...

cubbyguy1 said:
Can someone point me to some helpful guides whether on the forums here or elsewhere for getting started?

Check the technical forum guides, or youtube "How to" videos can come in very handy.

cubbyguy1 said:
I am wondering about are how to separate music/dialogue so that one can go about removing/inserting new audio

"Ay, there's the rub" If there was a way to do that easily, we'd all love to hear about it.

If you are lucky a movie will have center surround channel with relatively clean dialogue (or at least it's very much louder than everything else). Then that can mixed with the CD soundtrack and new FX to create new audio. Audio editing is the hardest part of this hobby. Most people want to start off with a project that doesn't include replacing audio and just crossfading existing audio. I'd recommend having a go with that first.

By the way, the Star Wars film do not feature clean center channel audio, the music is loud in all channels, on all SW films.

cubbyguy1 said:
changing aspect ratios (if possible)

Pictures are best to describe this...

change-aspect-ratio-1.jpg

TV_Aspect_Ratio.jpg

IC500892.png

aspect ratio (AR) must be maintained even when cropping, never stretch or squash an image.

cubbyguy1 said:
I know some things take time to learn and money to afford software.

Everybody is always learning in this game but yes some good software is worth it. Vegas, Premiere etc. I prefer Vegas myself.

cubbyguy1 said:
My guess is I am the most inexperienced person here

I doubt it, you at least know the questions :D .

Thanks!

Yeah, I have very limited experience with Adobe Premiere. I had 1 class in college that briefly introduced me too it. I do have it for work so I can use it for free while I am at this job. I made my own edit of Ebumms Dumb and Dumber To to my liking (just simple cuts). Check out his Dumb and Dumber To edit though if interested. Totally saved that movie. I love it.

TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:

Yeah, I'd probably ignore that "advice" and anything else wilhelm scream says about "technical questions".

I'll try to brief with these answers...

cubbyguy1 said:
Can someone point me to some helpful guides whether on the forums here or elsewhere for getting started?

Check the technical forum guides, or youtube "How to" videos can come in very handy.

cubbyguy1 said:
I am wondering about are how to separate music/dialogue so that one can go about removing/inserting new audio

"Ay, there's the rub" If there was a way to do that easily, we'd all love to hear about it.

If you are lucky a movie will have center surround channel with relatively clean dialogue (or at least it's very much louder than everything else). Then that can mixed with the CD soundtrack and new FX to create new audio. Audio editing is the hardest part of this hobby. Most people want to start off with a project that doesn't include replacing audio and just crossfading existing audio. I'd recommend having a go with that first.

By the way, the Star Wars film do not feature clean center channel audio, the music is loud in all channels, on all SW films.

cubbyguy1 said:
changing aspect ratios (if possible)

Pictures are best to describe this...

change-aspect-ratio-1.jpg

TV_Aspect_Ratio.jpg

IC500892.png

aspect ratio (AR) must be maintained even when cropping, never stretch or squash an image.

cubbyguy1 said:
I know some things take time to learn and money to afford software.

Everybody is always learning in this game but yes some good software is worth it. Vegas, Premiere etc. I prefer Vegas myself.

cubbyguy1 said:
My guess is I am the most inexperienced person here

I doubt it, you at least know the questions :D .

Might I suggest along with these amazing faneditor ideas/tips posted by @"TM2YC" that you use the edit button to edit out the massive quoted area at the end of your post ;)

Quick_Memo_2016_10_23_17_44_26.png

I made a short video about how do a "Match Cut" in a Fanedit, using one of the most famous examples of this type of cut, from Kubrick's 2001...

...it makes me laugh anyway :D .

Back
Top Bottom