• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Maniac Mansion

Who are your favorite kids?

• Dave

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Syd

• Bernard

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Razor

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Michael

• Wendy

• Jeff

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone ever play this game, whether on the NES, PC, or whatever?

I used to play this game a lot back in the mid-1990s, borrowing it (the NES version) from my friend. Eventually, I got it in a trade from him.

Yesterday, I found a speedrun that I had recorded back in 2007. I had intended to submit it to Speed Demos Archive, but I guess it never happened or whatever. Anyway, I put it on YouTube.

I used Syd and Bernard and went the classic route of calling the Meteorite Police. I exploited the lab combination glitch. I kept practicing to see how I could speed things up (scrolling through popular commands instead of selecting them from the menu, combining two steps into one, moving the cursor to the right area before the next screen appeared, etc.). I tried to call the Meteorite Police as early as possible and leave the minimum amount of time between unlocking the lab door and the officer showing up.

I played it on a C64 and PC (on Weird Ed's Computer in Day of the Tentacle).
Ahhh, memories. Razor, the hamster and the microwave  :D

Oh yes. C64 here too. And then a nostalgia trip a few years back via a 64 emulator, as my 64 bit the dust when I blew the SID chip (and more) connecting it to my Dad's hifi. :-(
Hifi was fine though. :)

I'm not a big fan of the original.  But the sequel, Day of the Tentacle is one of my all time favorites.  Great sense of humor about everything, some fun time travel based puzzles.  The entire original Maniac Mansion is included as an easter egg - simply use Ed's computer.  That sort of thing would never happen today.

"Day of the Tentacle"

I didn't realize this was an anime.

TVs Frink said:
"Day of the Tentacle"

I didn't realize this was an anime.

"This is just like one of my Japanese animes!"

Somewhat ironically, the game's visual, writing, music, and voice acting style have far more in common with the likes of Animaniacs than anime.

Back
Top Bottom