• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

DigModiFicaTion's Technical Difficulties Thread

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all,

I'm delving into the world of avisynth scripts and was hoping that some of you scriptors could help me out. As many of you may know, I'm dealing with Sony Vegas' RGB issues and looking for a way to better deal with this issue for future projects. I'm looking for a way to convert my rendered computer RGB video file to studio RGB, or some equivalent. I'd do it in Sony Vegas, but I really don't want to render another huge lossless avi as a corrected source.

This is my current script
Code:
DirectShowSource("C:\.....\TFA LOSSLESS C-RGB.avi")
ConverttoYUY2() 
TWEAK(bright=25, cont=.8)
Crop(0, 140, 0, -140)

There aren't any specific scripts that I could find for this idea, so I've been trying to eyeball it. Any help would be appreciated.

If you wish to remain in RGB, try this

Code:
Levels(0, 1, 255, 16, 235, coring=false)

or this

Code:
RGBAdjust(r=0.859, g=0.859, b=0.859, rb=16, gb=16, bb=16)

but I don't understand why you feel that having rendered in computer RGB is a problem.  It's what I'd expect from someone who has edited in Vegas and followed a competent workflow.  Usually, having rendered in studio RGB is more likely to  cause problems.

Thank you @"Captain Khajiit" 

I actually prefer the look of the RGB as I play it with MPHC and WMP. The studio rgb settings look all washed out to me. Colors aren't as crisp, darks are hazy gray etc. I had read that VLC, QuickTime, and other media players don't display the correct output and therefore the computer rgb looks overly dark. MPHC and WMP have the correct output it seems. Though I found the rgb favorable, I had many people mention that it was super dark for them. I tried adding the Vegas level filter, but as you pointed out, it really messed up my vfx shots. Its kind of frustrating as the edit has been completed for weeks now except for this RGB issue. I'll try your script out. Again, thank you for your assistance.

You're welcome.  You should have no RGB problems with Vegas if you convert to computer RGB before editing, render an AVI in the same colorspace, and then write a script feeding the AVI to the encoder.

Before Editing

Code:
ConverttoRGB()
# for SD
# expands the luma range i.e. converts to computer RGB

Code:
ConverttoRGB(matrix="Rec709")
# for HD
# expands the luma range i.e. converts to computer RGB

After Editing

Code:
ConverttoYV12()
# for SD
# compresses the luma range

Code:
ConverttoYV12(matrix="Rec709")
# for HD
# compresses the luma range

EDIT: I'd be happy to look at a sample of your rendered AVI to see if I can suggest something.

I'm looking for assistance in writing an avs script that will combine two separate avi files but will also trim the second avi file without affecting the first file. Here's my working script.

Code:
AviSource("C:\....\New Opening SRGB.avi") + AviSource("C:\....\FINAL STUDIO RGB.avi")Trim(3453, 0)

ConvertToYV12()

The problem is that this version applies the trim to the entire combined video which essentially removes the first avi source. Is there a way to bracket or make the trim script exclusive to the second avi source?  Audio padding isn't an issue as the video file does not contain audio. Thanks in advance!

*EDIT*
I ended up just combining the two files without the trim script and manually deleted the old video content using virtualdub tools. Would still like to know if there is a script to easily fix it. Thanks

Hello all,

I searched the forum and didn't see an answer for this question, so I thought I would just throw it in my technical difficulties thread.

Is it possible to downgrade 48fps to 23.976/24fps smoothly to make movies like the Martian and the Hobbit Trilogy more palpable? If I simply missed a thread that contains this info I'll redirect my questions there. Thanks in advance.

DigModiFicaTion said:
Is there a way to bracket or make the trim script exclusive to the second avi source? 

Code:
AviSource("C:\....\New Opening SRGB.avi") + AviSource("C:\....\FINAL STUDIO RGB.avi").Trim(3453, 0)

ConvertToYV12()

DigModiFicaTion said:
Is it possible to downgrade 48fps to 23.976/24fps smoothly to make movies like the Martian and the Hobbit Trilogy more palpable?

What do you mean? Do you have 48fps content that you want to convert?  Or are you implying that the approach taken with releases of The Hobbit was somehow deficient?

Thanks for the code Captain.

As for the 48fps request. I'm assuming that if I rip the Martian or The Hobbit films that I'll need to ensure they have their native fps which is 48fps. I personally don't care for the look of 48fps. My request was to know if there is a known way to make them look more like 23.976fps without messing up the video.

^Oh, I understand now.  The answer is that both films are 23.976fps on BD; they were 48fps only in certain theaters.  In other words, the conversion that you want to make has already been made.

Sorry for my ignorance on this topic, I had assumed that due to the proper ripping of movies requiring a conversion from 29.97fps to 23.976fps that movies filmed natively in 48fps would require the same conversion. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me learn :)

You're most welcome.  The BD spec does not allow for 48fps content, so releases had to have the frame-rate adjusted (as was done for the non-48fps theatrical screenings).

By the way, I only happened upon your additional posts in this thread when looking for something in the tech sub-forum.  If you make further posts asking for help, you might use the  @+username option; otherwise, I might not spot them.  (I don't read every thread.)

Back
Top Bottom