• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Timeless

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Timeless" is a new science fiction series premiering on October the 3rd. It's about a team of history professors who must travel through time in order to stop an evil time traveler who is attempting to change history at various points in the past in order to destroy present day America.

The premise sounds interesting, and the trailer below is very striking. And I have an inkling that even if the show doesn't turn out to be good, it might be a good source of footage for fanedits of movies and shows set in the past.

"Timeless"?! Not "ChronoCops", or "Special Agent Historians", or "TimeKnights"? I am disappoint. :p

Also, this show is totally doomed. Period garb/sets every episode? No way, Jose. I have an inclination to be nice to pretty much every hour-long network show that isn't a lawyer/doctor/cop show, but from the principals to the song choice to the title, everything about this screams "bland corporate product." For the budgets involved, they could probably make several Louie-like personality-filled, auteur series. But not every advertiser is comfortable supporting a quirky, sometimes controversial show, so we get this instead. Now, it could actually be good. Or it could be this year's Bionic Woman reboot.

Gaith said:
For the budgets involved, they could probably make several Louie-like personality-filled, auteur series. But not every advertiser is comfortable supporting a quirky, sometimes controversial show, so we get this instead.

Isn't there a middle ground? I'm sure there are concepts for shows that are small-budget and personality-filled, but don't contain overly controversial material.

A lot of greenscreen. Maybe they're using tech from The Future Group?

hbenthow said:
Isn't there a middle ground? I'm sure there are concepts for shows that are small-budget and personality-filled, but don't contain overly controversial material.

Well, sure. But this doesn't look low-budget, is my point.   ;)

Gaith said:
Well, sure. But this doesn't look low-budget, is my point.   ;)

But you had said this:

But not every advertiser is comfortable supporting a quirky, sometimes controversial show, so we get this instead.

Which is why I mentioned the "middle ground", ie, shows that would be low-budget, but not contain material that's controversial enough to make an advertiser uncomfortable supporting it. My point is that there are more choices available to networks and advertisers than just A: big-budget sci-fi shows, and B: controversial shows like "Louie". There can be low-budget, personality-filled, and even quirky shows that are still non-controversial enough for advertisers to comfortably support.

^ True. From what I've heard, Jane the Virgin, say, certainly fits that bill. And if networks choose to make those sorts of distinctive shows over even more cop procedurals, good on 'em, I say. I'm not against low-budget, singular-yet-safe network shows. Heck, I'm not against pricey-looking offbeat shows like this one, either; I just doubt it'll be sustainable.

Anyone watching this? I've watched 6 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure how long they can sustain this, but currently it looks like the potential is expanding. I assumed it would be a dud, but I'm really happy to report that I was very wrong.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Anyone watching this? I've watched 6 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure how long they can sustain this, but currently it looks like the potential is expanding. I assumed it would be a dud, but I'm really happy to report that I was very wrong.

I've been watching it. It's no "Quantum Leap", perhaps, but I think it's quite good. It really started coming into its own when the conspiracy elements came to the forefront.

I've been enjoying it quite a bit, myself.  The arc stuff does elevate the more episodic... episodes.  Flynn in particular is a remarkably sympathetic villain.

Quite the season finale.  Hope that's not the last we see of this show.

Lucy's fiancee - he tipped off Rittenhouse about the Life Boat's location, right?

Sad that the show wasn't allowed to continue more substantially.  But I'll take rushed closure over none at all.  I had hoped Netflix or some such would intervene to pick up the rights, but I guess it just wasn't viable.

Back
Top Bottom