• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote for the August 2016 FEOTM

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Website support?

I think maybe he means that some fanedits have their own websites with more information/links/etc, like the one I built for J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. I also have a Facebook page for it as well.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
TVs Frink said:
Website support?

I think maybe he means that some fanedits have their own websites with more information/links/etc, like the one I built for J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. I also have a Facebook page for it as well.

We noticed you posted a request for people to vote for you on your site.  I don't believe we have a rule against that specifically, but it goes against the spirit of the contest.  It's not a competition to see who can collect the most votes by whatever means available to them, it's for the community of FE to voice their support for their favorite edit.  To that point (and some of the others raised in this thread), we changed the contest from "Fan Edit of the Month" to "Favorite Edit of the Month" to make it more clear that this is not about what is the best edit, but rather what the community enjoyed the most.

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
We noticed you posted a request for people to vote for you on your site.  I don't believe we have a rule against that specifically, but it goes against the spirit of the contest.  It's not a competition to see who can collect the most votes by whatever means available to them, it's for the community of FE to voice their support for their favorite edit.  To that point (and some of the others raised in this thread), we changed the contest from "Fan Edit of the Month" to "Favorite Edit of the Month" to make it more clear that this is not about what is the best edit, but rather what the community enjoyed the most.

Goodness, I can't vote for my own edit and now I can't even tell people about the contest? Yes, I have indeed shared this site (and this contest specifically) on my own webpages. I could be wrong, but don't you need to create an account here to have member privileges, such as posting/voting in these forums, or writing reviews on IFDB? I've encouraged followers on my sites to do just that, and in so doing maybe read about fanedits of other films and shows while they are here. Doesn't that make them part of the FE community then? This site is a great resource and deserves to have its user base grow.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Goodness, I can't vote for my own edit and now I can't even tell people about the contest

Where did he say that? 

Yes, I have indeed shared this site (and this contest specifically) on my own webpages. I could be wrong, but don't you need to create an account here to have member privileges, such as posting/voting in these forums, or writing reviews on IFDB? I've encouraged followers on my sites to do just that, and in so doing maybe read about fanedits of other films and shows while they are here. Doesn't that make them part of the FE community then? This site is a great resource and deserves to have its user base grow.

That would be an ideal scenario, but that's not how people work. For example, out of the 20 votes you have, 8 of those people have 0 posts on the site. Personally, I would not consider those people part of the FE community.

Full disclosure: Man of Tomorrow has 3 votes from people with 0 posts, out of 15. What's interesting to me is that if you remove the 0-post-user votes, your edits are tied at 12 votes each.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
TVs Frink said:

Goodness, I can't vote for my own edit and now I can't even tell people about the contest? Yes, I have indeed shared this site (and this contest specifically) on my own webpages. I could be wrong, but don't you need to create an account here to have member privileges, such as posting/voting in these forums, or writing reviews on IFDB? I've encouraged followers on my sites to do just that, and in so doing maybe read about fanedits of other films and shows while they are here. Doesn't that make them part of the FE community then? This site is a great resource and deserves to have its user base grow.

No one said you couldn't tell people about the contest, but in the past this type of enlisting has been far from outreach that helped grow our community. We've had editors enlist a lot of friends and family members to boost their number of votes, and these people never ended up participating in the site. We've tried to move the focus of these polls from winning contests to edit exposure and community interaction.  Sadly some members really seem to post edits here just to get attention.

I do hope that those that you've introduced to Fanedit.org actually participate in the forums and check out some additional edits. If they're just creating an account to give your edit a 10/10 rating and another contest vote, that's pretty lame. But, if it opens the door to the world of fanedits for someone, then that's great.  Just please keep that in mind when you are encouraging people to join the site.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
eldusto84 said:
Goodness, I can't vote for my own edit and now I can't even tell people about the contest?

For clarity, I've just crunched some "poll data" (I'm in a nerdy election-time mood :D ) so you can perhaps understand better what Frink and others are talking about...

Of the 19 people who voted for your Hobbit edit:
- 11 where "established" site members (e.g. they've either been here for years, or have simply been active on the site in any way besides voting. Even a single post would do)
- of the other 8 voters...
- 3 signed up to the site just to review your edit, immediately after you made a post on your blog suggesting they do so last month
- and the last 5 signed up the day you put up the other blog post asking them to vote for your edit. Two of these five logged into this site for less than 93 seconds, voted then left

Of the 15 people who voted for JobWillins Batman/Superman edit:
- 13 where "established" site members (In the same way as I described above)
- the other two are new members who signed up in the last month or so

As you can see from that data, more "established" site members have actually voted for JobWillins edit so far. So I hope you can understand that driving people here just to review or vote for you edit, can have the effect of skewing what is supposed to be a fun poll. We haven't got any rules against this and I know you were just trying to spread the word about your edit but like I say, please just bare this info in mind in the future.

Lastly, I'd just like to make it clear that everybody is welcome to vote in FEOTM, however long they've been here and I wouldn't want to discourage anybody's enthusiasm or participation. It's great to have new members! In other words...

eldusto84 said:
This site is a great resource and deserves to have its user base grow.

EDIT: I see now that @"addiesin" beat me to the data crunching. Although we disagree slightly on the specific final figures, if not the conclusions... hey that's politics folks! :D

pollster-i7.jpg

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I admit, my number crunching was more of "quick glance before the boss looks over my shoulder" than "actual mathematics work". Take it for what you will.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
my number crunching was more of "quick glance before the boss looks over my shoulder" than "actual mathematics work".

My general incompetence also probably plays a factor in the small variance.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I voted for General Incompetence in the last election but he didn't have enough support from the more moderate wing of the party.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
General Incompetence

take it easy with the prequel #2 references. i hardly remember that movie.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never mention the monthly contest, nor the luxurious Chat Room, nor the FE groupies.
From time to time, however, I truncate one of my reviews of a particular fanedit and post it across various forums.
Spread the love, share the word.
Does it lure traffic?  I dunno.
Better would be a photo of a sexbomb celebrity wearing a tight t-shirt reading -

I  :heart: FanEdit!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another reminder to people to not vote for their own edits, as it just happened again. Thanks. Vote removed.

Evil Dad

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
It's not a competition to see who can collect the most votes by whatever means available to them, it's for the community of FE to voice their support for their favorite edit.  To that point (and some of the others raised in this thread), we changed the contest from "Fan Edit of the Month" to "Favorite Edit of the Month" to make it more clear that this is not about what is the best edit, but rather what the community enjoyed the most.

"Fan Edit of the Month" does not necessarily mean the best IMO, and a FAN is someone who's in favor of somebody/thing anyway. So, I don't understand why renaming the "award" is needed all of a sudden. Maybe it should be called "Most Fans in the Month" :D

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Another reminder to people to not vote for their own edits, as it just happened again. Thanks. Vote removed.

WTF, really?

Evil Dad said:
 I don't understand why renamIg the "award" is needed all of a sudden.

This isn't all of a sudden, we did it a while ago after years of the site and contests evolving.

Evil Dad

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
This isn't all of a sudden, we did it a while ago after years of the site and contests evolving.

I'm sorry, but I can't help the feeling that this only happened because of the dissatisfaction by the vote recruitment of certain nominees during this poll. This for me is all of a sudden.  :s IMHO the renaming results in a degradation of the re-(a)ward. :(

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Evil Dad said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

I'm sorry, but I can't help the feeling that this only happened because of the dissatisfaction by the vote recruitment of certain nominees during this poll. This for me is all of a sudden.  :s IMHO the renaming results in a degradation of the re-(a)ward. :(

I'm sorry you have feels, but like I said we did this a long time ago. Nobody is renaming the results for this award - It has been Favorite Edit of the Month for years now. This may seem all of a sudden to you because this is the first time we've had such a noticeable (potential) issue with it in quite some time.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

lastb0isct

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How do I go about watching the [font=Raleway, sans-serif]Pulp Fiction: The Chronological Edit by nAsA edit?  I can't seem to find a place to view it![/font]

Top Bottom