If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

DigModiFicaTion's Custom Crawl Creator Template and Guide
Wow blender looks un-user-friendly and hard to use on first look. My respect on teaching yourself this program and making this guide. Thanks Smile .

I'm struggling with a few things though and have some questions (more to follow, sorry):

Quote:- How do I save the crawl now I've typed it up. Blender doesn't seem to have the standard menu bar at the top where you'd find such things as save and load. I even googled for an answer and still can't find it.

- When I first load your template I'm greeted by the view you show in screenshot 1. With the flat view of the crawl and ability to edit the next. However, if I go anywhere else like the animation/render option, I cannot figure out how to get back to it.

- The font link in the guide is broken. So what fonts should the 3 parts of the crawl be in?

- I don't have “FRADM.TTF” already on my PC but it's not clear what you do if you don't.

A few suggestions for the guide to make things easier/clearer if you don't mind:

Quote:- Is it supposed to take an hour to render? If so, saying that would be reassuring to read in the guide.

- Stress the importance of when pasting in your new crawl text, it should have no paragraphs already included, because it goes crazy if you do. Also, the guide mentions using CTRL-A (select all) and CTRL-C (copy) but not CTRL-V (paste). Using CTRL-V was obvious to me but is that obvious for everybody?

- I found the...

Quote:_Render
  1. Set the appropriate download location (see “Output Location” visual guide)
  2. Click “Animation” to render file (the file name will be “1280-3680”)

...part to be not clear at all. Eventually I found 'download location' and 'Animation' somewhere but I'm not sure I'd be able to find them again Big Grin .

- The crawl body is generally justified with the "Flush" setting but the last line of each paragraph should be "Left" justified. CTRL-A selects the lot but I couldn't figure out how to select just one line. In the end I realised that adding lots of spaces to end of each paragraph aloud me to adjust where the final line finished. Explaining this little detail would be good.

Hope that is all clear.
(01-31-2018, 03:35 AM)TM2YC Wrote: - How do I save the crawl now I've typed it up. Blender doesn't seem to have the standard menu bar at the top where you'd find such things as save and load. I even googled for an answer and still can't find it.
The Blender UI is actually made up of multiple windows. There should be a file drop-down menu at the top far left still. You can save your project in the traditional way there and also load a project, though I prefer to load the file straight from windows explorer because it's easier that way.
When you push save, it will bring up a rather odd looking disk navigator screen. You'll want to identify where you want to save, rename as desired, then hit save.

Quote:- When I first load your template I'm greeted by the view you show in screenshot 1. With the flat view of the crawl and ability to edit the next. However, if I go anywhere else like the animation/render option, I cannot figure out how to get back to it.
Each windowed area has a little icon box at the far left. You can click this and select the type of window you want to see. The main area where you edit the text is the 3D view. This main view becomes the render view when you select animation and it begins to render. Setting it back to 3D view should allow you to return to the original view.

Quote:- The font link in the guide is broken. So what fonts should the 3 parts of the crawl be in?
The open source fonts that are referenced in the guide are included in the downloaded file. You will need to install them if they aren't already installed. You'll then have to go to the font tab in the parameters window and manually assign the fonts.

Quote:- I don't have “FRADM.TTF” already on my PC but it's not clear what you do if you don't.
I'll try to make a video guide tonight after work to help answer all of these questions.

Quote:- Is it supposed to take an hour to render? If so, saying that would be reassuring to read in the guide.
That really depends on your couch and render settings. Generally it takes 30-60 minutes. There also can be slowdowns on windows 10 if you have certain older display drivers.

Quote:- Stress the importance of when pasting in your new crawl text, it should have no paragraphs already included, because it goes crazy if you do. Also, the guide mentions using CTRL-A (select all) and CTRL-C (copy) but not CTRL-V (paste). Using CTRL-V was obvious to me but is that obvious for everybody?
Yeah, I just figured people would have to figure those things out naturally Wink I'll make an update to that.

Quote:- I found the...

Quote:_Render
  1. Set the appropriate download location (see “Output Location” visual guide)
  2. Click “Animation” to render file (the file name will be “1280-3680”)

...part to be not clear at all. Eventually I found 'download location' and 'Animation' somewhere but I'm not sure I'd be able to find them again Big Grin .

I'll review the image guides, I thought I had highlighted those well, probably not though  Rolleyes

Quote:- The crawl body is generally justified with the "Flush" setting but the last line of each paragraph should be "Left" justified. CTRL-A selects the lot but I couldn't figure out how to select just one line. In the end I realised that adding lots of spaces to end of each paragraph aloud me to adjust where the final line finished. Explaining this little detail would be good.

I just use the space bar to squish the text to what looks right to my eyes. The more spaces you out after the text, the more squished they become. I'm not sure you can set a single line with a particular justification.

Quote:Hope that is all clear.
Loud and clear Wink

I appreciate the questions and recommendations. I'll be reviewing the guide and updating the OP and adding videos hopefully tonight. Thanks TM2YC!

Stay tuned for updates.
Thanks for the replies and your guide definitely does not stink Wink .

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: The Blender UI is actually made up of multiple windows. There should be a file drop-down menu at the top far left still.

There wasn't that option but I guess I must have pressed something to make it disappear somehow??? because when I reopened your file and started again it was there and I've now managed to save. Edit: Nope it's disappeared again just as I had most things how I wanted them arrrgghhh! Angry

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: Setting it back to 3D view should allow you to return to the original view.

100% tried that but again I must have somehow pressed an option called "do no take me back to 3D view, even when I tell you to".

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: The open source fonts that are referenced in the guide are included in the downloaded file. You will need to install them if they aren't already installed. You'll then have to go to the font tab in the parameters window and manually assign the fonts.

I've got the two that were included in your pack installed but not the one linked to becasue the link is dead. The "G" from the "SWCrawlTitle" font looks like ass, which is annoying as I need it to spell "Rogue One".

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote:
Quote:- I don't have “FRADM.TTF” already on my PC but it's not clear what you do if you don't.

I'll try to make a video guide tonight after work to help answer all of these questions.

Brilliant.

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: Generally it takes 30-60 minutes.

Okay no problem, as long as it's supposed to do that Smile .

(01-31-2018, 10:22 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: I'll review the image guides, I thought I had highlighted those well, probably not though  Rolleyes

I found them once but can't find them again now. When doing practically anything seemingly prevents me from saving my progress, I'm reluctant to click anything to see where they are Big Grin .

I'm amazed and impressed that you mastered this program because I would have thrown my PC out of the window in anger long before I ever understood it.
I think I'm beginning to understand what I was missing. The little square icons in a row on the right-hand side. The camera is where you find the animation option, the "F" one for changing fonts, and so on.

I still can't work out how to exit back to the "main" editing screen after using the animation option but if I make sure I save before I do the animation thang, I can just restart the program, as a work around Big Grin .
(01-31-2018, 05:59 PM)TM2YC Wrote: editing screen after using the animation option but if I make sure I save before I do the animation thang, I can just restart the program, as a work around Big Grin .

That's actually the way I used to do it, and is probably easier than setting the screen back. Smile
The crawl is moving upwards too fast. I did a comparison of the SW77-DE crawl (blue), the ROTJ-DE (green) and the current version of my custom crawl (yellow)....

All 3 are timed to start when they first enter the frame. As you can see, the 77 and ROTJ crawls stay pretty much in sync but the custom crawl runs off into the distance. The last line of the ROTJ crawl (which has the same number of lines as my custom crawl but with an episode number) arrives on screen 54-seconds into this clip but the custom crawl is already there at 43-seconds. So all three paragraphs are visible 11-seconds too early (or 265 frames early according to my Vegas timeline). In fact the 3rd paragraph of the ROTJ crawl hasn't entered the frame by the time the 3rd custom paragraph has all appeared.

The 77 crawl lasts 62-seconds (with 19-lines and no episode number, or title). So maybe it should be even slower to be a happy medium? It doesn't have to be an exact match to either but somewhere closer would be good. I get obsessive about details like this, sorry.

So is it possible to slow down the crawl in blender? If so, how and is it easy? (let me guess Big Grin ).

Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to change the background colour from mid-grey to green, or black?
The attention to detail shown here makes me feel very slapdash in comparisonBig Grin  Kudos guys you certainly set the standard!
I'm with you Sinbad. TM2YC is the upper echelon of editing. There should be a speed setting in the options. I'll have to look for it, but yes it is a relatively simple fix. You may need to adjust the ending frames to account for the added time.
(02-01-2018, 08:21 PM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: I'm with you Sinbad. TM2YC is the upper echelon of editing. There should be a speed setting in the options. I'll have to look for it, but yes it is a relatively simple fix. You may need to adjust the ending frames to account for the added time.

Could you please explain how to do that real slow (like I'm a simpleton Wink ). Thanks.