• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

I need a way to find the HD fanedits

cafevincent

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any way to determine if a fanedit is SD or HD before downloading? Very few DLC files have a DVD5 or other tag to define the quality and IFDB doesn't list this either. I think this might be important for some people since we hardcore film buffs tend to have supermassive 4k TVs. Any help would be very welcome since now I would have to download everything to find out for myself.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pahakokki said:
Is there any way to determine if a fanedit is SD or HD before downloading?

Filesize is a good indicator and you can always PM the editors and ask (Or read the project thread/info).

pahakokki said:
Very few DLC files have a DVD5 or other tag to define the quality

A lot of them do.

pahakokki said:
and IFDB doesn't list this either.

It does.

cafevincent

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Filesize is a good indicator and you can always PM the editors and ask (Or read the project thread/info).

First of all I must disagree with this being an indicator. Good DVD used to be 8GB. Good x264 1080p used to be 8GB. And now a good x265 is about 4GB. Plus that's a lot of work either adding every edit into JDownloader to get the filesize or even more to ask everyone. Finding the info in the threads might work half the time so thanks for pointing out the thread link.

TM2YC said:
A lot of them do.

Maybe 20%? is that a lot?

TM2YC said:

So far I've found ONE. Could this be fixed?

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every ifdb I've looked at indicates whether the edit is available in HD or not on the main page. You can also click on release information.

Screenshot_2016-08-29-07-05-06_zpsal7flfys.png

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every one I've gotten clearly indicates SD (mov/avi/) or HD (same formats) or DVD5-9. Plus when you open the winrar archive the containers are labeled as to the format they contain almost 95% of all the ones I've downloaded > so you don't even need to drag them into Jdownloader. All fanedits have a single archive that houses all of the formats available for that fanedit. There's no hard or long work involved anywhere in 'deducing' their proper formats. Also I can never be too sure but I'd almost dare wager I've yet to come across one that wasn't properly labeled on its contents.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pahakokki said:
TM2YC said:
A lot of them do.

Maybe 20%? is that a lot?

This is clearly an estimate, as there are several hundred edits on the site. What is your confidence interval on that value?

cafevincent

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Every ifdb I've looked at indicates whether the edit is available in HD or not on the main page. You can also click on release information.

Oops, can't believe I missed that. Can I assume that every edit that does not have that HD info is not HD? For example I searched kill bill and got 19 results, only 7 of which had the "available in HD" part, and searching star wars there are 19 mentions in the first 50 results.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
pahakokki said:
DigModiFicaTion said:

Oops, can't believe I missed that. Can I assume that every edit that does not have that HD info is not HD? For example I searched kill bill and got 19 results, only 7 of which had the "available in HD" part, and searching star wars there are 19 mentions in the first 50 results.

In a word, yes.

Ultimately the content of the IFDB listing is determined by the faneditor submitting the information, so if they indicate an HD version was made/is available, then it is reflected in the listing. 

Additionally, if you use the advanced search feature on IFDB, you can filter to only include HD edits.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am really glad that this thread was not someone requesting links. After seeing the subject line, I had my worries. Alas, it turned out to be more productive than it would have been otherwise. And of course, there was a happy ending. Not THAT kind of happy ending. Come on.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
And of course, there was a happy ending. Not THAT kind of happy ending. Come on.

3204840swsw.gif

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All well that ends well :)
Truth be told, I didn't know you could search for HD edits, although obviously you normally look for something specific, and not just about anything in HD :)

Top Bottom