• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Born to Kill:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Born to Kill:

Maniac takes Full Metal Jacket, one of my favorite Kubrick films, and prunes it down to two main stories: Parris Island and Hue. Boot camp sadism and guerilla hell.

Video - 1980 X 1080p MPEG 4. Images and textures are really sharp. Street fighting in Hue are red bonfires bleeding into dusk. Solid. Noticed some pixilation on my computer (after fast-forwarding, so likely shame on me), not a glitch on the plasma screen.

Audio - 2 Channel AC3, 128 kbps. No subs. Dialogue is clear and pristine during the Parris Island sequences, murkier in Hue. Certainly by design, to capture the garbled chaos of combat. Not catching everything adds to the confusion and sucks the viewer deeper into this.

Narrative - This is, in essence, two stories. One is self contained - beginning, middle, ending. The other is a surreal dreamlike fragment. There is narrative to the Parris Island material, with the focus being on “Pyle.” Pretty much everyone else is discarded or marginalized, save for Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. The second half shifts to Vietnam and zeroes in on the street ambush. This edit, like the source, feels unfocused and unfinished.

Enjoyment - If I were to fast forward through Full Metal Jacket, which sadly I have, Parris Island and Hue are the two sequences I would watch. The first because it is funny as hell. The sergeant is spitting razors. Hue is all bombs, gunfire and anxiety, with bad behavior displayed. First half training - second half, what training?

I enjoy how Maniac opens the film. This is smart, dropping you straight into the minefield. His music alterations were fine, in that I did not notice them. His editing, both technical and in his choices, were well done. I still dislike the bipolar nature of the film, though that is source, and I don’t think Maniac had in mind to reconfigure that.

You want a version boasting a first act of venomous humor followed by a second act of blood and fire?
This would be a fine choice.

https://ifdb.fanedit.org/born-to-kill/discussions/9005/

Top Bottom